GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sound clip request: AMS carbon intake

Covelight

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
I'm pretty sure all closed intakes will sound the same, quiet and whatnot. Also, nearly $700? My opinion, buy this instead. https://eqtuning.com/collections/vw...s/blaze-performance-atom-v2-air-intake-system

There are people with built motors and much larger turbos running into the 700whp range with this intake and it excels without compromise, versus AMS's claimed 600hp rating. If you want more information, join the EQT Facebook Group and use the search tab to learn more about the Blaze intake.

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
I'm pretty sure all closed intakes will sound the same, quiet and whatnot. Also, nearly $700? My opinion, buy this instead. https://eqtuning.com/collections/vw...s/blaze-performance-atom-v2-air-intake-system

There are people with built motors and much larger turbos running into the 700whp range with this intake and it excels without compromise, versus AMS's claimed 600hp rating. If you want more information, join the EQT Facebook Group and use the search tab to learn more about the Blaze intake.
Joining the EQT FB fan club is not the place to get useful information about the Blaze intake. To date, almost every aftermarket intake I have tested that uses an appropriate turbo inlet elbow has outperformed the Blaze intake.

The differences are not large, and the Blaze intake is not a bad product, but EQT has put forth the most successful deceptive advertising campaign around that intake that I have come across for this car.

Covelight

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
Joining the EQT FB fan club is not the place to get useful information about the Blaze intake. To date, almost every aftermarket intake I have tested that uses an appropriate turbo inlet elbow has outperformed the Blaze intake.

The differences are not large, and the Blaze intake is not a bad product, but EQT has put forth the most successful deceptive advertising campaign around that intake that I have come across for this car.
I used to use your chart on my Mk7 R (I previously went with an MST intake on it) before getting my Mk7.5 R. I know you and the owners of EQT have had multiple arguments. I'm not an EQT fan boy but the results of multiple custom tunes speak for themselves regarding the Blaze intake. I'll leave the ultra-specific details between you and them.

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
I used to use your chart on my Mk7 R (I previously went with an MST intake on it) before getting my Mk7.5 R. I know you and the owners of EQT have had multiple arguments. I'm not an EQT fan boy but the results of multiple custom tunes speak for themselves regarding the Blaze intake. I'll leave the ultra-specific details between you and them.
Can you point to one of those multiple custom-tune results so I can evaluate their information?

I have yet to see an example where the intake made a difference. In the four examples I've seen the baseline setup included an inlet elbow made for a stock turbo, and the car was equipped with a larger-than-stock turbo. That's not a valid comparison of intakes.

The description EQT gives for the product is deceptive - "Significant gains have been shown on Vortex powered vehicles when compared to a competitor's intake system" - The other system was an IE intake and 034Motorsport inlet elbow, so which competitor's system were they comparing the Blaze with? IE's intake throttled by a stock size inlet elbow, or 034's TIP that is made for an IS20 or IS38 and was installed on a Vortex?

Covelight

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
Can you point to one of those multiple custom-tune results so I can evaluate their information?

I have yet to see an example where the intake made a difference. In the four examples I've seen the baseline setup included an inlet elbow made for a stock turbo, and the car was equipped with a larger-than-stock turbo. That's not a valid comparison of intakes.

The description EQT gives for the product is deceptive - "Significant gains have been shown on Vortex powered vehicles when compared to a competitor's intake system" - The other system was an IE intake and 034Motorsport inlet elbow, so which competitor's system were they comparing the Blaze with? IE's intake throttled by a stock size inlet elbow, or 034's TIP that is made for an IS20 or IS38 and was installed on a Vortex?
I'm not sure if you're in the group - I only used it to find what parts I wanted to fit to my car - but here's some off of a search: https://www.facebook.com/share/p/MvZTtQ5giwuzDfxP/?mibextid=oFDknk, https://www.facebook.com/share/p/rw6tMHjLxxy7sYJa/?mibextid=oFDknk, https://www.facebook.com/share/p/z1DbkwbSDxbyyE6s/?mibextid=oFDknk

As I said, I'll leave the technical aspects between you and the owners of EQT. OP is free to decide whatever intake they want, but the listed one they mentioned seems fairly expensive when they can get something for a fairer price.

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
I'm not sure if you're in the group - I only used it to find what parts I wanted to fit to my car - but here's some off of a search: https://www.facebook.com/share/p/MvZTtQ5giwuzDfxP/?mibextid=oFDknk, https://www.facebook.com/share/p/rw6tMHjLxxy7sYJa/?mibextid=oFDknk, https://www.facebook.com/share/p/z1DbkwbSDxbyyE6s/?mibextid=oFDknk

As I said, I'll leave the technical aspects between you and the owners of EQT. OP is free to decide whatever intake they want, but the listed one they mentioned seems fairly expensive when they can get something for a fairer price.
In the first example, the R600 intake was used with APR's IS20/IS38 TIP on a Vortex turbo. I addressed why that invalidates a comparison of the intakes in this post.

In the second example, stock airbox with drop in filter, the person was using a CTS IS20/IS38 TIP on a Vortex turbo. I showed how much of an effect using a stock turbo TIP makes when I tested the CTS TIP and presented the results in this post.

In the third example, which is the charts on the product page at EQT's website, all they state is that they compare the Blaze intake with three Mystery intakes and they provide no details about the TIP that was used.

Based upon the results shown in the first two examples you gave, along with the results I have measured, unless EQT sought out terrible intakes to compare with, which is entirely possible, the differences shown were a product of using TIPs that are made for a stock turbo on the Vortex turbos.

All of these results are consistent with what I have measured. The inlet elbow is the source of the differences being reported, not the intakes.

BTW, thanks for the links, it's a refreshing change to encounter somebody willing to bring some evidence to a discussion.

Last edited:

Covelight

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
In the first example, the R600 intake was used with APR's IS20/IS38 TIP on a Vortex turbo. I addressed why that invalidates a comparison of the intakes in this post.

In the second example, stock airbox with drop in filter, the person was using a CTS IS20/IS38 TIP on a Vortex turbo. I showed how much of an effect using a stock turbo TIP makes when I tested the CTS TIP and presented the results in this post.

In the third example, which is the charts on the product page at EQT's website, all they state is that they compare the Blaze intake with three Mystery intakes and they provide no details about the TIP that was used.

Based upon the results shown in the first two examples you gave, along with the results I have measured, unless EQT sought out terrible intakes to compare with, which is entirely possible, the differences shown were a product of using TIPs that are made for a stock turbo on the Vortex turbos.

All of these results are consistent with what I have measured. The inlet elbow is the source of the differences being reported, not the intakes.

BTW, thanks for the links, it's a refreshing change to encounter somebody willing to bring some evidence to a discussion.
No worries. When I was in the market for an intake, I emailed MST if their inlet/intake would fit my DTR6054 (back when I bought it, it was new to the market) and they didn't have anything. I opted for the Blaze since I heard they were making an inlet specific for the DTR and went that route instead. I used your tests to get my do88 intercooler. It's been great thus far when NYC was super hot last summer to the cold temperatures we're now facing.