GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Pineapple's Express 2.0: Dude Where's My Car?

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
The biggest PITA is pulling the bumper. If you’re comfortable with doing that, it’s not a hard job. I think, outside of pulling the bumper it took us about 20m to do @dtfd headlight swap.
No need to pull the bumper for the headlights, if I recall correctly. Just carefully pull and lower the bumper from the wheel well to expose that stupidly placed allen screw. I use some microfiber towels to avoid scratches.

Pineapple

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf GTI S
FMIC is the way.

I'll do my first inspection with the new lights in February, but I'm not expecting any issues.

I did the last inspection at stage 2 with a neuspeed downpipe and had no issues. No codes thrown either however.

I'll update you guys with how it goes with the lights.
It is February 😄

Pineapple

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf GTI S
Update for March

Currently experiencing a coolant leak issue. Observed coolant at low mark during my first oil change late Dec after purchasing late Nov. First inclination was the water pump. Coolant clear of crap. Kept an eye on it and saw level declining. Preemptively bought coolant last week when fluids check showed low low. Friday afternoon, low coolant alert triggers on startup. Smoke observed near turbo on opening hood, puddle present under engine bay with finger-test indicating glycol. Fluid was still present in overflow tank so I headed over to gas station around the corner and bought a jug of universal coolant. After letting cool, topped off a bit to middle range. Level declines steadily with daily driving but nothing that topping up after cooloffs can't keep up with. Replacement part on order, will conduct repairs per research Post with research here: Post in thread 'MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"'

Also planning some much needed quality of life upgrades.

Planning on buying a set of Koni Special Actives. Experiencing decision paralysis because I figure there's other suspension work I should accomplish while I'm there. Also wondering if I should take it to a shop, or book an appointment at @Acadia18 's garage. If I recall correctly the rears are easy but the fronts are hard?

Also in need of a shifter kit, driveline mounts kit, and a tires refresh. Probably good to preventively maintain spark plugs, gear oil, brakes and rotors.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Thank you for the reminder my cars only been out of the garage once since Thanksgiving, I probably would have forgotten to get this done.

I'll update yall once I go through the inspection
Update.

Went for the inspection today. Passed with no issue.

Still have the neuspeed downpipe and stage 2 tune on. The downpipe does not throw an o2 code and everything reads as ready. I had no issue with the lights either.

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
Update for March

Currently experiencing a coolant leak issue. Observed coolant at low mark during my first oil change late Dec after purchasing late Nov. First inclination was the water pump. Coolant clear of crap. Kept an eye on it and saw level declining. Preemptively bought coolant last week when fluids check showed low low. Friday afternoon, low coolant alert triggers on startup. Smoke observed near turbo on opening hood, puddle present under engine bay with finger-test indicating glycol. Fluid was still present in overflow tank so I headed over to gas station around the corner and bought a jug of universal coolant. After letting cool, topped off a bit to middle range. Level declines steadily with daily driving but nothing that topping up after cooloffs can't keep up with. Replacement part on order, will conduct repairs per research Post with research here: Post in thread 'MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"'

Also planning some much needed quality of life upgrades.

Planning on buying a set of Koni Special Actives. Experiencing decision paralysis because I figure there's other suspension work I should accomplish while I'm there. Also wondering if I should take it to a shop, or book an appointment at @Acadia18 's garage. If I recall correctly the rears are easy but the fronts are hard?

Also in need of a shifter kit, driveline mounts kit, and a tires refresh. Probably good to preventively maintain spark plugs, gear oil, brakes and rotors.
The fronts weren't bad, there's just more work involved to get them out. The rears are dead easy.

I feel you with the decision paralysis though getting caught up with whether or not to do the "while you're in theres" I'm at that point with the suspension on my daily, $600 for fresh dampers turns mentally into a couple grand to do control arms etc. and then nothing gets done at all haha

Pineapple

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf GTI S
Update.

Went for the inspection today. Passed with no issue.

Still have the neuspeed downpipe and stage 2 tune on. The downpipe does not throw an o2 code and everything reads as ready. I had no issue with the lights either.
Guess I'm adding LED retrofit for front and rear to the QoL list 😆

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Feel free to come on down. We use a 2x4 for the fronts in this garage, makes quick work of it.

Pineapple

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf GTI S
April update: month's retrospective and planning

Retrospective
Coolant issue was dealt with on the 17th as outlined above. Easy quick fix, cheap parts, what more could you ask. It was pretty bad at the end though, with coolant smoke pouring out of my hood at stops and puddles underneath at rest. I was relieved that it wasn't a more significant repair, but I'm at the cusp of the 8yr/80k mark for the water pump. Almost want to find a problem there so I can get a free replacement 😅

Shortly before that I had my battery die on me. Not a fun surprise expense, I sensed it starting to die due to slower starts but I assumed I had more time and got caught off guard when it wouldn't start a few mornings later. I had a bit of a scramble because it was the first day at work in weeks that I had to be prompt and present. Thankfully someone was able to cover for me.

On the 21st I installed OE Euro-spec mk7 LED tail lights. Install was plug and play, with a slight adjustment to a clip to get it to fit. I'm really liking the look, but I need to adjust the seating on one for perfect fitment. And also do the wiring.

Planning

Suspension

I have had the Special Actives for a few weeks now, and I have time scheduled with Acadia to do the install by the end of the month. Will be doing mounts at the same time but nothing else at the moment.

Wheels and tires
The tires still have life, but they're fairly imbalanced. Debating selling the winter set (premium blizzaks but shit motegis also with balance issues) and getting nice all seasons, or keeping them and getting summers. Didn't even put on the winters this year so it seems kinda pointless to have them, but it's not like I can make best use of premium summers either.
Also could probably clean up all the curb rash accrued while I learned how much my new wheels poke out.

Cosmetics
With the tails installed I've been assembling the components to enable the full features suite: amber turns and rear fogs. I'm probably not going to get to it for a while since I need a few comfy weekend hours to pop trim pieces and run wires.

With the rear looking nicer, the need for tint has increased significantly. I also have great justification now for going in for some OSRAM headlights so I think that may be my next big purchase.

Car would benefit a lot from paint correction and detailing.

Quality of life
The shifter is stock, and I really need to go and make the usual changes. I'm planning to do a DG kit with the extras bits.

Like the loosey goosey shifter, I've been feeling quite a bit of movement under low loads and shifting power. Powertrain mounts are probably shot after 78k miles at stage 1. Per this thread I may need to do more than just engine, trans, and dogbone, but it's still a good starting point.

Maintenance
The following components should get a refresh in Spring, either from symptoms of age or just peace of mind:

Brake pads, rotors, brake fluid, gear oil, plugs, engine oil, cabin filter, engine filter, tires, carbon cleaning...

I'd like to send my oil in for analysis at the next change.

I should look into an unidentified clunk that happens when I first touch my brakes after sitting for the day. Might be related to why the hill assist feels too grabby sometimes.

Dreams For Future

Thinking about a turbo back system from Jake. GF continues to give me shit for the magnaflow that the car came with, and the resonance present at 1100k and 2000k is kinda annoying for me too.

Thinking about enhanced fueling systems, which on is20 may be carts before horses. I don't really need more top end power, because I hardly get to touch it. Retaining/enhancing low end oomf would be preferable. I could probably drop in an is38 as it stands (a downpipe would be nice though too), but if I'm touching power I'm leaning towards going big rather than falling into the incremental increase trap.