GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Lane Assist / TSR / HBA coding

rahankuivaaja

Car(s)
2014 Golf Variant
I recently installed the front camera and I have a few questions about it:

Have I understood correctly that in order to have fully functional traffic sign recognition you need to have a navigation unit installed? Because now I get "Traffic sign recognition: currently restricted" notification on every ignition cycle. Is there no way to make the car ignore that via VCDS? If no, then I guess retrofitting a radio unit with navigation is my next step.

Also is the camera supposed to recognize the "entering city area sign"? I don't know about the rest of the EU but in Finland there are signs like this that means 50km/h limit

a85347b228a7405e8fab46e2f24289b3.jpg
50km/h city area

And the camera does not recognize that. I was wondering that is it even supposed to.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
You are correct that you need navigation for fully functioning traffic sign recognition. The way that it works is the navigation data has default speed limits for various road types. Camera recognized signs will supplement that data, with camera recognized signs taking priority.

I'm in the US so we don't have any of those entering city limit signs. But the navigation data will have default speed limits for road types. So depending on how accurate the data is, when you enter the city, the speed limit shown would change. Again, with anything the camera recognizes taking priority.

As an example, when I turn into the parking lot of the grocery store the speed limit sign in the dash changes to 5, even though there are no signs. This is coming from the navigation data . And when I pull out of the parking lot it switches to the default speed limit for that type of road, typically either 30 or 50 depending on where I am.l