JmckR

Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
Hey everyone,

Picked up this 2016 Golf R last week,
IMG_2607.jpeg

IMG_2602.jpeg

First thing I had to do was take it our for a blast in the snow of course,

It's fairly standard as I purchased it direct from VW in Calgary. The only modification being the alloys, in honesty I'm not actually sure what make they are, but they came with good Khumo winter tyres so I'm happy.
It's a manual & just ticked over 100,000km. I think the spec is a rather basic one but it's more than enough for me. And it's rather quick!

Little about me,
I'm from the UK, however I moved to Calgary earlier in the year to start a new life. Having saved some money whilst working back in the rainy UK, I decided to treat myself once landing in Canada. My car history in the UK is mainly old-school french hot-hatches so this is quite an upgrade!

My Clio 182 at the Nurburgring in August 2023, I plan on shipping this out to Canada at some point this year all being well!

racetracker_23787071_379191.jpg

I know next to nothing about these cars really, so I'll be using this forum along with youtube etc to pick up some modification / maintenance ideas over the coming months!
I need to source a set of summer wheels & tyres within the next month or so. Also eventually sort an exhaust system, any recommendations?

I've got no plans on mapping it anytime soon, personally I'm not sure it's worth it with it being a manual?

James

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
Welcome to forums and congrats on the gorgeous R! The wheels look like VW Motorsport wheels (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that could be purchased through VW accessories.

As far as a remap goes, not sure why being a manual makes any difference? Power gains are of course the same, and it's probably the biggest bang for your buck performance mod you can get. Stage 1 will give you a nice jump if you don't want to fettle with hardware mods. Also used JB4s so cheap too that if you're comfortable with the piggy back tune route it's a great value too. (I say this with a remapped/big turbo manual GTI and remapped/full bolt on, manual A4 Quattro both in the driveway).

Jealous of the Clio and Canada's import laws, I desperately want to get a Megane R26 (or even a 225) in the states but we have a pesky 25yr rule haha. Can't wait to see what you do with the R!

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Welcome to the club! More Canada members for local Secret Santa without crazy shipping prices!

JmckR

Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
Welcome to forums and congrats on the gorgeous R! The wheels look like VW Motorsport wheels (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that could be purchased through VW accessories.

As far as a remap goes, not sure why being a manual makes any difference? Power gains are of course the same, and it's probably the biggest bang for your buck performance mod you can get. Stage 1 will give you a nice jump if you don't want to fettle with hardware mods. Also used JB4s so cheap too that if you're comfortable with the piggy back tune route it's a great value too. (I say this with a remapped/big turbo manual GTI and remapped/full bolt on, manual A4 Quattro both in the driveway).

Jealous of the Clio and Canada's import laws, I desperately want to get a Megane R26 (or even a 225) in the states but we have a pesky 25yr rule haha. Can't wait to see what you do with the R!

Thanks! I'm pleased with it. Also hoping it'll hold it's value quite well with it being Tornado Red, don't see many about!
And that's cool about the motorsport wheels then, will hold onto them as winters for sure.

About the mapping, I guess I feel that as soon as you start pushing 300hp+ the gearbox begins to limit you anyway? This compared to a DSG Box.
I've always been a huge advocate of the manual, just have to look at my car history, but I've never owned anything like this so maybe I'll change my mind very quickly!

And yes the Clio is an absolute riot, just insane value for money really. I have a progress blog on a Clio forum for anyone interested.
https://cliosport.net/threads/james-182.835393/

I have an english friend in Calgary who has an R26 & Clio V6 here, I wonder what'll happen to the prices once they hit 25 years old!

Welcome to the club! More Canada members for local Secret Santa without crazy shipping prices!

Haha thanks! I'll get saving...

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
The manual gearboxes on these cars hold power very well, you just need a suitable clutch if you go stage 2 or beyond. Plenty of manual cars making 500+ hp reliably(y)

I'll give the Clio thread a read!

JmckR

Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
The manual gearboxes on these cars hold power very well, you just need a suitable clutch if you go stage 2 or beyond. Plenty of manual cars making 500+ hp reliably(y)

I'll give the Clio thread a read!
That's good to hear. I'll keep it in mind but I'll likely look at lowering it slightly before playing with power

I live downtown Calgary at the moment, with underground parking but no garage or driveway.
The Alberta winters have left their mark on the paintwork so it's needs some attention, nothing a good polish with a DA won't fix though! So that's high on the list once I sort myself a new place!

IMG_2627.jpeg