GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Heat problems on track: TECH. Read before adding an oil cooler!

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
What about oil temps?

Due to the original log having the modeled oil temp instead of the true oil temp it was excluded from the charts. However on the dash i never saw anything about 235°F.

This.

Oil temps were never a "problem" with the oil cooler added, regardless of ducting.

For what it's worth, we saw 242F max oil temp MDI (which is on the dash) this time out.

In the past I don't think he's ever seen more than 250-260 in warmer weather.

We both had some problems with the ST loggers cutting out mid session which chopped a few portions of it off.. I think I need to bend the pins for better contact again (this solved the issue earlier this year and was problem free for quite some time).

1702562159965.png

Redslaya

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
@Redslaya off topic, but how are your hood pins holding up? the only car i've seen in person had destroyed his core supports with them over time.

I still have the factory latch which does all the work. the hood pins are just there as backup in case the threads on the carbon hood fail and the OEM latch detaches.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I still have the factory latch which does all the work. the hood pins are just there as backup in case the threads on the carbon hood fail and the OEM latch detaches.
tommy-boy-hood-flies-open.jpg

BeeryTravler

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI SE
Big thank you to DerHase and Redslaya for doing and posting all of this work.

Before I cut a hole in my bumper, does this positioning look good? Seems a little low but it's hard to tell from your photos. This is just a mock up, so it's not level yet or anything.

Attachments

• 20240324_120658.jpg
    20240324_120658.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 33
  • 20240324_120644.jpg
    20240324_120644.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 33

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Big thank you to DerHase and Redslaya for doing and posting all of this work.

Before I cut a hole in my bumper, does this positioning look good? Seems a little low but it's hard to tell from your photos. This is just a mock up, so it's not level yet or anything.

Looks good to me?

You’ll be trimming the exit tract either way, so as long as the cooler doesn’t hang below the plastic tray you should be good. Moving the cooler itself a tad higher might be beneficial for unintended impact purposes though.

FWIW @Redslaya removed has his exit tract cut flush with the bumper now, his little sacrificial scrap piece used as a gurney flap hit something (a reminder to not mount it hard to the cooler, but make flexible or just mount to the bumper) and he’s been running it just cut flush, with no issues. I would attempt to make that cut as tightly as possible though so air going into the bumper doesn’t just go under the car without going through a cooler.

BeeryTravler

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI SE
Looks good to me?

You’ll be trimming the exit tract either way, so as long as the cooler doesn’t hang below the plastic tray you should be good. Moving the cooler itself a tad higher might be beneficial for unintended impact purposes though.

FWIW @Redslaya removed has his exit tract cut flush with the bumper now, his little sacrificial scrap piece used as a gurney flap hit something (a reminder to not mount it hard to the cooler, but make flexible or just mount to the bumper) and he’s been running it just cut flush, with no issues. I would attempt to make that cut as tightly as possible though so air going into the bumper doesn’t just go under the car without going through a cooler.

Cool, thanks. There is enough slack in the brackets to get it up a bit, but it should be well above the tray.

I was thinking of bending one of the cut-offs to ~45 degrees and taping it to the front of the opening on the bumper with aluminum HVAC tape, then sealing the opening to the duct with tape.

I'm hoping to get it all sorted by the 14th for an open lap day at HPR.

BeeryTravler

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI SE
That does look a little low, i suspect the bottom rows of the cooler may be below the bumper line. you can kinda see where mine is mounted in this photo, which ends up being perfectly centered vertically in the bumper. Essentially you want the bottom of the cooler to be in line with the bottom of the condenser.

Ok cool. I just measured and the bottom of the cooler is about 1" below the condenser and right in the middle of the radiator support. I tried to match yours in that photo but I think my holes are lower and my brackets are larger.

I think I'm going to swap the Z brackets for some U brackets. It looks like that will bring the bottom of the cooler 0.5 inch above the condenser. Better a bit too high than low I think. And I really don't want to drill new holes in the crash bar, that was a pain in the butt and I broke a couple bits.