GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fuel sensor not working after lpfp install.

Asmunder

Car(s)
2018 Golf R
So I just installed my EQT brushless LPFP in my 2018 golf R and now my fuel level sensor isn't working. I made sure that the float was free when I was installing it and everything. I went ahead and tried taking it out and reinstalling it like 3 or 4 times with no luck. So any ideas on what I should do.

Asmunder

Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I put the tab the correct way, what else could I do to orient it correctly?

Razgriz337

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7R
Your float is either stuck, the sensor is damaged, or you've got a wiring issue.
Did you refill the tank or did the gauge fall to zero after reinstalling?
If you have VCDS I'd see what fault code you're getting. You can also watch the resistance from the level sensor while you move the lever by hand to ensure it's reporting.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
You may have to do some small adjustments with VCDS after an aftermarket pump install, but it should only be reading about 1/8th a tank off in those cases.

Did you reconnect the drivers side float to their harness? Is the 6 pin connector to the top of the tophat/hanger connected firmly?

Awd have two senders, one on the pump itself and one in the drivers side of the saddle tank. That's the harness you reconnect with the return hoses.

If the pump float isn't caught on anything and all the connections under the tophat and the 6 pin on top are correct it's probably a faulty sender.

Asmunder

Car(s)
2018 Golf R
So the actual code that I am getting for this error is P2068 and it says Fuel Level Sensor B Circuit High. Any Ideas?

Razgriz337

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7R
Do you have VCDS or OBD Eleven?
If so, check the resistance for the fuel level sensors 1 and 2 in instruments. Is 2 reporting 0 ohms?

Asmunder

Car(s)
2018 Golf R
So it is saying this
IMG_3651.png
IMG_3652.png

Razgriz337

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7R
Well, it seems to be getting something. I can't remember my exact fault code but I was getting 0 ohms from sensor 2. My pump was a bit of a science experiment and had a different hat than a factory RS3 pump. I had to make some changes to the wiring coming over from the driver's side of the tank. I can't imagine that would be the case with EQT.

If you haven't already, I would try throwing a half gallon or so in the tank and see if those resistance values change to make sure you're actually getting a good signal. Alternatively, you can also pull the passenger side 4-pin connector from the underside of the hat and make sure sensor 2 falls to zero. I'd also wiggle the lever on the basket sender and make sure it's sending a value as well.
Does the tank say it's completely empty or is the needle just stuck? Since you're getting some reading, it's probably not electrical/wiring and I'd guess something is hung up.

I will say I am not envious of your situation. I've done 425, 525, 535, and now RS3 pumps. I've probably had to take the basket back out once each time because of some intermittent issue with the level sensor. If I ever sell the car the pump is going with it.

Last edited:

Asmunder

Car(s)
2018 Golf R
It’s just constantly reading empty. I’ve filled it up halfway and still nothing. Tomorrow i’ll pull that pin and see if the reading drops to zero.