GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Exhaust Flap Squeak

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
At least with DSG, when you move the shift lever from to D, your flaps do a closed then open cycle, much like a dial sweep. Engine needs to be running. They are open at idle. One of my flaps squeaks at times. I believe it's the flap itself and not the servo. Anyone else have this noise? Hard to hear sometimes, especially with the annoying "door is open and you're in gear" warning tone.

If anyone cares, here's a pic of it open from my borescope.

Last edited:

World Famous Z

Ready to race!
I have tis exact same issue with my borla exhaust. For me i think its the flaps because i do wd-40 them from time to time and it goes away for a little. But im not sure if the wd-40 is making its way up to where the flaps connect to the servo ?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I have tis exact same issue with my borla exhaust. For me i think its the flaps because i do wd-40 them from time to time and it goes away for a little. But im not sure if the wd-40 is making its way up to where the flaps connect to the servo ?

On the OEM exhaust, the servo bolts on over the end of the flap shaft. I imagine yours is the same. you might be able to unbolt the servo and spray. I'm not sure WD-40 is better than Seafoam, which supposedly is made for throttle bodies. Which side(s) squeaks? You are the 3rd person to report this. anyone else out there? Could be no one listens like we do, and the car is so noisy at idle, with the exhaust, engine, AC, radio.