GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Search results

1. T

Full Size Spare Setup for GTI

No idea if the steelie would work but it won't lower the tray at all. With my stock size 225/40-18 Michelin tire, the floor sits at the normal height with about 0.25 inch of clearance beneath the floor. It can't ride any lower or flusher unless you use the magic boot floor setting, at which...
  2. T

Should I keep used coil packs?

Keep them! At least until you replace them again. Then keep the newer ones at that point.
  3. T

Adding DSG oil through filter housing?

I filled from the top myself. Takes a long time (as others have said - about an hour for me), but beats having to buy a specialty pump and/or drenching your arm in half a quart of DSG oil. Top tip: use a double boiler and bring some water to about 150F, warm up the oil bottles before you fill...
  4. T

Motul DCTF or Pentosin (OEM) FFL-2 for DSG Fluid?

Not fluid related, but I believe the "rough" shifting is a function of clutch engagement programming. This is most notable in high-torque gears (aka 1st and reverse) and make it seem jerky going into/out of those gears. I drove a B9 A4, which is supposed to have the same DCT, and the clutch...
  5. T

2020 GTI

Normal, I think. Mine does it as well (2017 GTI Sport). I always thought it was the turbo spooling up to idle speed or something.
  6. T

Buying tools/ Where/when would i have use for , triple square, allen and ball allen sockets?

Oh, I also wanted to add - you get diminishing returns on DIY-stuff as you increase the complexity and difficult of the job. For example, the easiest items to start DIY is stuff like air filters or cabin filters. You can often change those out in 5 minutes with few or no tools, while saving the...
  7. T

Buying tools/ Where/when would i have use for , triple square, allen and ball allen sockets?

At the risk of sound like a cheapwad, I've always used Kobalt (Lowe's) and Pittsburgh (Harbor Freight) sockets. Kobalt is nice that the metric ones have a blue band, SAE have red bands - easy to identify quickly. HF can be had for dirt cheap, especially with the eternal 20% coupons. I favor...
  8. T

FS: GTI or Golf R Donut Spare [DFW TX]

Factory space saver (donut) spare wheel and tire package. 18" steel wheel with 125/70-18 Continental tire. Original equipment for GTI's, also compatible with Golf R's. Will fit over PP brakes. Beats a can of fix-a-flat or getting stranded on the side of the road. Never used, in original as-new...
  9. T

If you guys are curious how the fit would work, jack up the car, put it on jack stands, and remove one of your regular wheels to test fit in your trunk. If you have factory size tires (like mine) and factory width wheels, it should fit. I think even the Fender sub would fit, but do double check.
  10. T

Fitting a USB

mk7_bk, no they became standard from MY 2016 (US) onwards - sounds like the same date for international markets.
  11. T

Strange Mud, thanks for the tip. I was thinking of selling the donut myself. sloopercat, I believe the trim piece is universal for all MK7/7.5 Golfs. I paid about that much at my local dealer as well (they would have charged shipping, but fortunately I live close enough to pick up at the counter).
  12. T

So July Then

Europeans will be getting MK8 later this year (including GTI) I believe; NA keeps the MK7.5 for MY 2021 through next summer.
  13. T

Fitting a USB

What year is your car? According to Car and Driver, the 2015 MY (US) did not have USB ports. This was fixed circa 2016 I believe; I have a 2017 GTI and there is a single USB port in the flip-open center console in front of the shift knob. You may be able to retrofit this part if you're going the...
  14. T

I know this isn't revolutionary, but I figured I would throw a quick write up with details on my full-size spare setup. I have a 2017 GTI Sport (PP brakes), comes from the factory with 18" Nogaro wheels. I am personally adamant in always having a spare tire in the car - one of the reason I sold...
  15. T

Reintroducing myself, transitioned from a GTI to an R

The way I run the car, I never use the lower boot floor setting anyways. Therefore, a full size spare does not reduce my cargo space anyways. All I lose is the stowage space for the boot cover (which I can deal with on the rare occasions I do need to remove it). Just finished my full size spare...
  16. T

DSG Break In Service?

OK so I'm new to the VW world, but I couldn't find anything on the subject on Google or the forum. Is it a good idea or recommended to do a break-in service on the DSG? Or the VAQ LSD for that matter? For those of you who have done BMW's, you'll know that Mike Miller (our resident long-term...