GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Search results

1. TheSkeptic

Oil Catch Can

I did a prelim search, mostly just seeing for sale threads on the topic. Who is running a catch can? What has been your experience when compared to without one? Did the benefit justify the cost and maintenance of it? I've been curious about it, but my local mechanic said he doesn't recommend...
  2. TheSkeptic

OBDEleven/VCDS Equivalent?

I'm wondering if anyone happens to be versed in the Subaru equivalent to the above. My wife just bought a 2018 Impreza, and it would be really nice to be able to tweak a few things like the confounded seat belt chime. TIA.
  3. TheSkeptic

FS: LC8i

Selling my LC8i. It is in great condition, and works flawlessly. Asking for $145 shipped. This device allows you to use factory speaker-level outputs in your car for upgraded speakers, subwoofers, etc. It takes the signal going to your factory speaker, and converts it to a full-spectrum signal...
  4. TheSkeptic

*SOLD* Black (fake) leather wheel wrap

Selling a brand new, never used wheel wrap. Black, with blue thread. My intention was to install this on the steering wheel on my R, but the seller shipped before confirming that I don't have paddles. Looking for $10+shipping. If you're local (Oregon), you can come pick it up.
  5. TheSkeptic

Conti DWS 06 vs Michelin PS 4S

As implied, I'm looking for real-world comparison here. With a cost difference of over $50/tire, I'm wondering if the Conti's really are inferior. I ran PS A/S 3s on my GTI, and absolutely loved them. Before buying them, many people suggested the Conti's are comparable. I'm hoping someone has...
  6. TheSkeptic

*SOLD* x2 Klii Motorwerkes GTI Plaid License Plate Frame

Selling my Klii frames in GTI plaid, as I've just traded it in for an R, and they don't really go with the car. Price for the pair is $40 firm, since they're $32 apiece brand new. If I'm shipping, it is on your dime. These are about a year old, and I babied my GTI so they're immaculate. *Pics...
  7. TheSkeptic

Just Got My First R!

Traded in my '15 GTI SE today, and picked up a '16 R w/ DCC & nav!
  8. TheSkeptic

OBDEleven v2

Pre-orders are now being accepted, but is it really worth upgrading from the first gen? I see no mention of additional functionality or apps (at least for our cars), but rather simply a new shell and faster processor inside. I'm also surprised there's no incentive program (trade-in, etc) for...
  9. TheSkeptic

Aftermarket License Plate LEDs

Yes, I know about deAutokey. I think they probably make great products. I'm not looking for a suggestion to try/use them in my case because I'm not seeking replacement of the entire fixtures. This thread is to see which aftermarket LED bulbs (only) folks have had good lifespan with. I've used...
  10. TheSkeptic

Keep radio on after turning ignition off

So I've brought this topic up on the obdeleven forum as well, but got underwhelming response. I have a '15 GTI SE (MIB1, push to start, Fender sound). When I kill the engine, say I've just parked outside somewhere waiting for my fiance to run a quick errand, the entire infotainment system shuts...
  11. TheSkeptic

OBDeleven Woes

I attempted to change the language from US English to English for my 2015 NAR GTI. The head unit display briefly turns on, then off and stays off. All cluster warning lights are on with the car in accessory mode (I have push to start). Car "clicks" when I press the Start button, but it doesn't...
  12. TheSkeptic

Armrest tray

Feeler thread to see if anyone has been able to find any sort of tray/organizer for the armrest? There are a few dozen offers on AliExpress for the Golf, but none fit the GTI (among a few other models).
  13. TheSkeptic

Tire Suggestions For Heavy Rain

Tires are one of my many areas of ignorance where my car is concerned. I live in Oregon, and if you're familiar with Les Schwab, I've always purchased my tires through them. I've also never really asked them about my options, but pretty much stuck to Toyo Proxes for the last ten years. Without...
  14. TheSkeptic

MIB1 MDI Swapout

I recall seeing on a thread somewhere (perhaps Vortex) that it might be possible to swap the MDI input with the newer aux+USB. I'm wondering if this is true? Or would it require a full-on upgrade from MIB1 to MIB2?
  15. TheSkeptic

Stubborn swirls, scratches.

For the life of me, I'm not having any luck removing some of the deeper swirls and scratches from the previous owner of my '15. I'm using this kit from Amazon for polishing: www.amazon.com/dp/B06XPQ3NR3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_hKeTzbWKVMMH6 It's able to remove the minor swirls, using HD Speed 425...