GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Search results

1. V

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Vice grips and a wrench. Vice grips to "gently" hold the clip part down and a wrench to pop it off
  2. V

Garages of golfmk7.com: picture thread

If transport on occasion is a thing for you, the toolbox systems are key. I have a couple of the Dewalt toughsystem kits, some drawer boxes, mechanics toolset, and a variety of other things, and that stuff saves me a ton of time on track days. Just roll it on the trailer and call it good, then...
  3. V

It's also easy to do... Just make sure you have the right socket and a breaker bar (not a small, dinky ratchet).
  4. V

Inconsistent and spongy brake pedel feel.

How are your rear brakes looking in terms of pad glaze and pad wear? Are they like record discs? Can you grab a caliper and measure the dtv on them? When you pull the handbrake the rear ratchets down. As you do a few stops the rear lets go slightly. If you have enough wear or variation in the...
  5. V

I wouldn't think much of how it's dropping the file. There's probably a default format setting somewhere. Or maybe a compression setting for filespace. I just mean a few months ago some Google ads results were pointing to 7zip mirrors that had spyware laced 7zip. It still happens every now and...
  6. V

Yeah gz is gzip and a default zip format on some Linux distros. 7zip usually works, just don't get it from sketchy sources. There have been supply chain attacks on some 7zip mirrors recently 🙄
  7. V

Thinner or offset tie rods?

I appreciate the feedback! As long as moving down doesn't also move things back, it should help a lot. It's really just about 2-3mm off. I'll look into it. I'm curious to see what you get measurement wise as well. Worst case scenario, I bet I could get a custom arm made. It's pretty close, but...
  8. V

Super secret sauce... There's only a few companies that actually go to the lengths required to get dot certified. They typically just white label their stuff to resellers. Notably, the racing line brake lines are made by good ridge. Good ridge makes a lot of them... Stoptech is dot certified...
  9. V

How can I tell if the DCC shocks are worn?

Dcc shocks can "naturally" fail two ways that I'm aware of. Leaking seals or failing electronics. The former is easy to see if you look at the top and bottom of the strut and you see any oil or residue collection. The latter will likely result in errors when scanned, but may be missed. More...
  10. V

If they don't have a DOT certification stay away. Anyone with a DOT certification (and label) is fine. Even with a dot cert I had a line fail on track and result in a tiny/slow leak that caused severe fade at even low speeds. I see it as a freak accident, but it's always a risk with any part.
  11. V

Thinner or offset tie rods?

Does anyone know if there are thinner or offset tie rods for the frontend of the mk7? I've got an issue currently where the combo of superpro arms, css swivels, and a toe 0 alignment leads to the inside lip of my 17x9 vs5rs wheel rubbing pretty badly at full lock. The inside of the wheel is...
  12. V

How do you set that setting on the adapter? I'm aware there's been some progress towards using the headunit GPS, but I wasn't aware any manufacturers have actually done it so far. That would involve allowing data to leave the head unit's interface, and I didn't think any manufacturer had...
  13. V

There's no functionality I'm aware of in carplay or android auto to use the built in vehicle GPS vs the phone GPS when connected to a head unit. I'm pretty confident in that since cars with no native nav system and Android auto/carplay exist and work just fine. The magnetic holder could cause a...
  14. V

Where is your phone sitting when connected? Remember that the GPS chip in cellphones is buried in the phone and because of their cheapness and security concerns they are strictly limited to 1hz polling, below 10000ft, slower than 300mph, and no closer than 3m of precision. This is done to...
  15. V

I think the p&b really depends on the tune. The ones that are consistent and just constantly do it sound like cheesy crap. The ones that are inconsistent and don't dump a ton of fuel to do it sound pretty oem. On the unitronic tune i go back and forth with it. Stock exhaust with it on, it sounds...
  16. V

Bring a stick of sidewalk chalk and chalk the sidewall edges of your tires. You can see what the wear looks like and that can determine the tire pressure you need. Definitely ask the more experienced drivers and they'll be willing to help. You've got the right attitude going in :). Autox is...
  17. V

Unless it's a really small region, most autox regions follow the national scca rules for cars where a new brake setup pushes you into the more "prepared" categories. This may not matter to you if you're not looking to be competitive in your class. Neuspeed has a 6pot that bolts up. Not sure...
  18. V

That must not have been fun at that speed. Sorry to hear that happened. Those v12s were cool, though! Massive engines!
  19. V

Blue smoke = oil Black/gray smoke = fuel White smoke = coolant Lots of white smoke = kaboom I've also seen some tunes for these cars cause a lot of condensation in the exhaust and I've seen people shoot steam on startup that looks like smoke. It goes away once fully warm and is much more...
  20. V

I didn't do it with transmount, but on the dogbone I went from insert to full bushing. The insert was crap and made vibrations horrendous when setting off at slow speeds. It was fine initially but after 2 years it just increased nvh a ton. The solid poly bushing is a lot better. Couple years now...