GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recent content by mawallace

1. M

Battery - when to change?

I've discovered on my VW Golf that there is a feature which shows you the state of the battery. This morning, as an example, it says:- "SOC 80%" So, a few questions:- - what percentage is deemed to be an acceptable one before you change the battery? - should you measure it after a car...
  2. M

Rear wiper sticks

My rear screen wiper has started sticking. If I push the lever into intermediate, it sweeps across and then stops mid way on the return. When the timer kicks in for the next sweep it goes back to the correct position and then stops again . Then after 5 minutes or so it seems to work perfectly...
  3. M

Issue with Discover Media system

I have a 2014 golf and the Discover Media system has developed a glitch There are occasions when I will start the car, and the system will turn on. It will remember the station and the track I was listening to on the USB stick. It remembers things like random ply etc. After 10 - 15 seconds...
  4. M

Mk8 revealed!

DO you have a source for this? IF so, could you share this info?
  5. M

Mk8 revealed!

Orders for the Mk8 are open in the UK. A small thing, which is I guess, down to cost cutting, is that the new model does not have electrically folding door mirrors. Email Uk customer service and was told there were no plans to include this on UK models, and not available as an optional extra...
  6. M

DSG Box - default to Sport mode

Is there a way so that the DSG is always in Sport mode when you first move the lever to the D position?
  7. M

DSG - does it come with 'flappers' as standard!

Looking at a preview of the golf 8 on the web, they were test driving a 1.5 with DSG. I noticed that:- 1. the selector works 'by wire' - in other words it is 'just' a bottom in the middle of the car. I noticed that the lever only has D, P, R - no 1/2/3 etc 2. . I could not see any 'flappers' to...
  8. M

REv counter - where does it take the measurements from

This may be a coincidence, but this morning on the way to work I got a puncture on the rear drivers side. Stopped the car and put the emergency tyre on. I noticed that the rev counter appears to be slow to change - if I reduce speed there seems to be a delay between what is happening to what it...
  9. M

Vent mounted cell phone holder. (not VW)

Use a ProClip - easy to fit, secure and does not look out of place in the car.
  10. M

Caution Cleaning Turn Signal Stalks

If you are worried about the anti bac elements try using this. Not sure if you can source this where you are though! https://www.slimsdetailing.co.uk/gtechniq-c6-antibacterial-matte-dash-100ml.html#product_tabs_description
  11. M

Dynamic Chassis Control (DCC) - How good is it

Looking at a new Golf - been offered one with DCC. Question, it's the GT model, is there any improvements in the cornering of the car between Sport and Comfort!
  12. M

OBD dongle and software

What's the best OBG dongle and software for the Golf. Looking for something that is user friendly with supported documentation.
  13. M

Measure brake pad wear without taking off wheels

I was going to check the brake pad wear by using a vernier caliper gauge but when I looked at the front wheels I could not see an easy 'gap' in which to insert the gauge do the presence of the various bits in the way of the pads. Has anyone checked the pads this way on the VW Golf?
  14. M

Mk7 OEM Front Brake Pad Wear

Hoe thick are the pads when new, OEM? Dealer tells me that they are 70% worn - is it still good practice to replace when 75% worn? I've done 80,000 miles on the original pads
  15. M

Auto hold issue

So tonight I stopped at a set of traffic lights. It was on a hill. When I went to pull the auto hold released too early so the car rolled backwards. Put brake on again and tried again. After a few more unsuccessful attempts I had to turn auto hold off and operate brake manually Ten minutes...