GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recent content by bertj

1. B

Mk 7.5 Low Beam (Dipped) problem

No power to the bulb holders. I'm starting to suspect either the light switch or a relay somewhere.
  2. B

Mk 7.5 Low Beam (Dipped) problem

Mk.7.5 1.4 tsi (UK) Golf. Both low beam lights (halogen) out. Fuse OK so assumed both bulbs had blown. Changed the bulbs but still out. Checked all four bulbs (old and new); found they were all OK. I'm completely mystified as all other lights etc. are fine. No modifications have been done to the...
  3. B

Clutchless ignition update: solved (maybe)

I appreciate what you say and agree that VW could not possibly be responsible for unauthorised owner changes to a car but I can't agree that removing what is regarded by VW and safety organisations (i.e Euro NCAP etc.) as a safety feature is sensible; but that's my opinion and we are both lucky...
  4. B

I'm not sure what you are getting at. Perhaps it's different here in the UK but there have been several instances of drivers and/or passengers attempting to take car manufacturers to court for what they regarded as a design flaw in their car. Depressing the clutch on starting a manual car is a...
  5. B

If someone attempts to start the car when it's in gear without the parking or foot brake engaged the car may move when the engine fires. If a manufacturer hasn't taken this type of driver into account and an accident happens, then a stupid driver could attempt to blame the manufacturer for...
  6. B

As I haven't driven a manual VW for many years I'm a bit confused about the safety aspect of this mod. Does the gearbox have to be in neutral and the parking brake or foot brake be on for this mod to work? If the car will start in gear there's a likelihood it could lurch forward (or backward)...
  7. B

Private plate change. Need advice ASAP!

You're welcome.
  8. B

Private plate change. Need advice ASAP!

The V750 confirms your right to own the new reg. You will get a new V5C - it can take about 2 weeks but the DVLA are usually much quicker than this. You should also receive a document (eV948/1) that you need to get a pair of new number plates; you will have to show this document plus the new...
  9. B

Cornering lights

If it was the standard Match version (not GTD, GTI, R etc.) - they were static cornering lights and didn't swivel. IIRC they used the fog lights. The bizarre thing was that both cornering/fog lights came on when you selected reverse.
  10. B

1st. service price.

It's on time/distance service but about 18 months old because I've now found out the service indicator was reset by the dealer when we bought it at 6 months old. Apparently the car wasn't initially serviced but 'checked over' when we got the car. Don't you just love VW car dealers?!!
  11. B

1st. service price.

I've just been quoted £191.80 for the first service on a 2.0tdi DSG Golf estate by the local VW dealer. This seems a lot to me for basically an oil and filter change. I'm not keen on using a VW dealer but it would probably reduce the hassle in the event of a warranty claim in the next two years...
  12. B

Golf 1.5 TSI 130 or 150?

No - It's the 1.4 TFSI 125bhp engine - code CZCA
  13. B

Golf 1.5 TSI 130 or 150?

Just for information the 1.4 engine continued for a while in the 7.5; I've actually got one - really excellent, very smooth engine.
  14. B

Using R14 ball seat open lug nuts on R13 wheels(Stud Conversion).

Anything that compromises the correct fittings for wheels and wheel bolts has got to be bad. Which is cheaper, the correct fittings or your future?
  15. B

Fan Issues

I don't know if this makes sense but I suspect that constant driving in Eco mode complete with stop/start will produce lower engine/exhaust temperatures, increased soot and therefore more frequent regenerations. I've had quite a lot of experience with the somewhat 'gutless' 1.6tdi engine fitted...