GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CSB3: Rice Buys A Minivan

khail19

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
They're also all on xbox game pass. Give it a shot Khail.
Avoid Fallout 1 and 2 til you play the first person games first.
I would love to, but I only have a Switch and a PS3. And I'm pretty sure my laptop won't do very well trying to play it.

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
Owning a home is the dream. In the last 12 months.

$3500 to fix leaking out of code fireplace.
$600 leaky window, rotted drywall and studs (did all the work myself).
$5500 painted the house.
$9680 new AC
???? Roof next.

Own a home, it'll be fun they said.

You're complaining now, but knowing this market - just wait about 4 months and you'll have double that amount back in value equity

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
10/10 truth
1714736910536.png

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Owning a home is the dream. In the last 12 months.

$3500 to fix leaking out of code fireplace.
$600 leaky window, rotted drywall and studs (did all the work myself).
$5500 painted the house.
$9680 new AC
???? Roof next.

Own a home, it'll be fun they said.
incredible. when it rains it pours, thats for sure! i know we will be in for a new sump pump and A/C unit before long. Insurance denied our claim to get a new roof. So we would have to pony up for that too when needed.

Probably lots of other shit we should ideally do.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
We've had several conversations about what cars we've regretted selling (and there are many), but what I haven't seen is a discussion about cars you should have dumped earlier (or shouldn't have gotten in the first place)

I'll start.

In the early 80's, I bought a new leftover US Ford Granada from Military Car Sales in Germany. Remember that the Granada/Monarch were supposed to the US equivalent of the Mercedes. It not only was a piece of crap, but there was a reason that this car - and an LTD were still sitting at port. $2500 later, I was the proud owner of a shiny shit brown Granada with orange pin stripes. Of course, the battery was dead at port, so they jumped it and handed me the keys.

Art the first gas stop, the car wouldn't start (because the battery was really dead) so they jumped it and I kept driving, letting the car run at the next gas station. I made it home and bought a new battery. Sitting at port for a couple of years wasn't just bad for the battery, but it wasn't great for the paint either and it started peeling a year later. Luckily, I got Ford to repaint the car and I found some guy who was willing to buy the car for three grand (it was really shiny - the way a brand new paint job from MAACO is for the first month or so). That car was awful, awful, awful.

But I needed a car, so I bought a 70something LTD from some good ole boy who was a moonshiner before he enlisted. I paid $600 for the thing and there was a reason it was so cheap. The front end was so badly worn that it didn't even come close to passing inspection, so the guy ended up taking it back.

I've got way more, but that'll do for now.
lol great topic!

although in reality i probably should have kept any and all of my cars. i miss them all for the most part. except my 1999 monte carlo that my parents gracefully bought me. but i fucking hated that car passionately from its weak 150 hp v6, to its fragile 4 speed transmission, from its grampa gold paint to its bulbous whale body

cb1111

lol great topic!

although in reality i probably should have kept any and all of my cars. i miss them all for the most part. except my 1999 monte carlo that my parents gracefully bought me. but i fucking hated that car passionately from its weak 150 hp v6, to its fragile 4 speed transmission, from its grampa gold paint to its bulbous whale body
Yeah. Monte Carlos started as a "personal luxury car" - essentially a tarted up Chevelle and mostly stayed that way until it went away in the late 80's. It came back mid-90's as a rebadged Lumina - the rental car special.

The US has never done luxury cars well - especially in that era. Luxury meant plastic wood trim that doesn't even look anything like wood.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I don't know a single person who has a "career level" job making decent money who wasn't some sort of referral or had an "in" at the company.
I’m that guy

I got cold called by the internal recruiter here that was just firing missiles at every fintech QA with a technical background.

:jazzhands:
I saw some other people respond to this too, but I also got my job with no "in" at the company.
I'm also that guy. My first two jobs out of school were facilitated by some sort of recommendation or professor referral, but my current role was me going through the typical website application process not knowing anyone here. Tech Art careers are weird though since a lot of it is based on your portfolio of work.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
You're complaining now, but knowing this market - just wait about 4 months and you'll have double that amount back in value equity
Dude, I know I didn't gain $40k equity this year. And equity doesn't buy you car parts and vacations.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Amazing live. First found them when they opened for tool in 2002 in Lowell. They were the better band on that stage that night.

Busy year for them. I saw them opening up for System of a Down in 2002.

aspro_gti

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 K04 GTI
I'm about to go shopping for some concert tickets.
Main bands I wanna see: Loathe, Opeth, Lamb of God, Meshuggah)

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I'm about to go shopping for some concert tickets.
Main bands I wanna see: Loathe, Opeth, Lamb of God, Meshuggah)

When you going to TX?

Loathe is playing in Boston (with Knocked Loose 🤮) on 6/1. I think @messrock might be going.

Probably after you leave, but Opeth is in Worcester 10/16.

Lamb of God is coming around with Mastodon in August.

You just missed Meshuggah a few months ago.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
I'm also that guy. My first two jobs out of school were facilitated by some sort of recommendation or professor referral, but my current role was me going through the typical website application process not knowing anyone here. Tech Art careers are weird though since a lot of it is based on your portfolio of work.
I'm sure there's exceptions, but the general trend I've seen is that larger, publicly traded companies tend to hire more objectively (or at least based on some criteria) and smaller and/or privately held companies have a lot more "friends and family hiring".

aspro_gti

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 K04 GTI
When you going to TX?

Loathe is playing in Boston (with Knocked Loose 🤮) on 6/1. I think @messrock might be going.

Probably after you leave, but Opeth is in Worcester 10/16.

Lamb of God is coming around with Mastodon in August.

You just missed Meshuggah a few months ago.
I did see Loathe playing near here. I should be able to make that.
Opeth is also going to TX as well as LoG and Mastodon (also a fire band)... I think.
Too bad about Meshuggah, I'll have to see 'em someday.
Theoretically going to TX second week of June. Still need to iron things out and find a place to stay. Stress is setting in lol.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I did see Loathe playing near here. I should be able to make that.
Opeth is also going to TX as well as LoG and Mastodon (also a fire band)... I think.
Too bad about Meshuggah, I'll have to see 'em someday.
Theoretically going to TX second week of June. Still need to iron things out and find a place to stay. Stress is setting in lol.

For the peeps that are in the Greater Boston Metropolitan Area, Architects will be at the House of Blues on Monday. It'll be good time.