GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Flywheel / trans mount problem

wsd1

Car(s)
7.5 GTI PP, up! GTI
Hello everyone,

I've recently been experiencing a problem with my 7.5 GTI PP DSG. After releasing acceleration, sometimes I feel slight vibration through the steering wheel as well as the seat. Usually goes away after breaking or accelerating. I mostly feel it in Sport mode (DCC) and in 2-3k RPM range. While reversing, I also experience some weird 'unevenness' on steering. DSG has been replaced in this car once - at 63k km (on guarantee). Now I am at 86k.

I went to VW and told them I suspect the flywheel. They tested in for like 2 hours and said everything is okay except for the right trans mount (under the battery), which seems to be too close to the transmission and isn't tight. So they replaced it and the car drives a lot better - especially downshifts are much smoother. But the vibration problem remains pretty much the same.

Should I go to an independent mechanic for diagnosis or come back to VW and just tell them to replace the flywheel? Do you think a faulty flywheel could have worn the trans mount? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited:

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
If they did not get the gearbox mount reinstalled correctly I would start with checking all other bolts they touched when they swapped gearboxes, like driveshaft.

What went wrong with your dq381?

wsd1

Car(s)
7.5 GTI PP, up! GTI
If they did not get the gearbox mount reinstalled correctly I would start with checking all other bolts they touched when they swapped gearboxes, like driveshaft.

What went wrong with your dq381?
I think they installed it correctly, but did not check for wear/damage. The car had a slight accident a while ago, where front left side was impacted (including axleshaft) and maybe that contributed to breaking the mount.

There was a service action - oil pump in DSG had to be replaced. They checked the oil and told me there are some metal shavings and the gearbox has to be replaced - that was covered by VW.

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
I think they installed it correctly, but did not check for wear/damage. The car had a slight accident a while ago, where front left side was impacted (including axleshaft) and maybe that contributed to breaking the mount.

There was a service action - oil pump in DSG had to be replaced. They checked the oil and told me there are some metal shavings and the gearbox has to be replaced - that was covered by VW.
Do you remember the recall code? Mine has never been serviced at VW so I am curious but didnt have any metal in the oil or filter when I serviced it at 44k km.

Sounds like there might have been some more damage done in the accident that effects the imbalance you are feeling.

wsd1

Car(s)
7.5 GTI PP, up! GTI
Do you remember the recall code? Mine has never been serviced at VW so I am curious but didnt have any metal in the oil or filter when I serviced it at 44k km.

Sounds like there might have been some more damage done in the accident that effects the imbalance you are feeling.
Not sure, but I think it's 34K1. Yeah, doing an oil change at 30/40k km is more reasonable than recommended 60k or 120k nowadays lol.

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
Not sure, but I think it's 34K1. Yeah, doing an oil change at 30/40k km is more reasonable than recommended 60k or 120k nowadays lol.
Just searched my VIN and it said nothing but if I book a service it prompts an technical update will be performed. I wonder what they will do if it throws the code with mine being tuned and modded. :LOL:

wsd1

Car(s)
7.5 GTI PP, up! GTI
Just searched my VIN and it said nothing but if I book a service it prompts an technical update will be performed. I wonder what they will do if it throws the code with mine being tuned and modded. :LOL:
Interesting, honestly I wouldn't do it if it doesn't relate to your car. I've heard about some weird things happening after the technical update on some forums.

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
Interesting, honestly I wouldn't do it if it doesn't relate to your car. I've heard about some weird things happening after the technical update on some forums.
Hey again!

Do you know the build date of your GTI?

I talked with a tech at the dealer and he said my GTI with a build date of 06/2017 was on the priority list for the 34k1 and I should flash it back to stock and hope for the best pretty much.

wsd1

Car(s)
7.5 GTI PP, up! GTI
Hey again!

Do you know the build date of your GTI?

I talked with a tech at the dealer and he said my GTI with a build date of 06/2017 was on the priority list for the 34k1 and I should flash it back to stock and hope for the best pretty much.
Mine is even earlier, probably like April/May. I don’t have any mods, so I guess this doesn’t relate to me.

If they were to change your DSG, I would recommend to tell them to check the flywheel condition, because thay are not obligated to do that. Let me know how it goes!

Arronleeds

Passed Driver's Ed
I am having this issue with my cupra 290, It only happens between 2-3000 rpm and only when I let off after accelerating briskly, If I accelerate normal and let off it doesn’t do it, does it in all gears too and is 100% rpm dependant

wsd1

Car(s)
7.5 GTI PP, up! GTI
I am having this issue with my cupra 290, It only happens between 2-3000 rpm and only when I let off after accelerating briskly, If I accelerate normal and let off it doesn’t do it, does it in all gears too and is 100% rpm dependant
Interesting, get it checked and let me know. I was at the dealer a few times and they said they are not sure what's the problem and it doesn't make sense to change random parts. I still suspect the flywheel though.

Arronleeds

Passed Driver's Ed
Interesting, get it checked and let me know. I was at the dealer a few times and they said they are not sure what's the problem and it doesn't make sense to change random parts. I still suspect the flywheel though.
after some research some are saying its the engine mounts, just find it weird how its a specific rpm and only does it if i plant it then let off.

wsd1

Car(s)
7.5 GTI PP, up! GTI
after some research some are saying its the engine mounts, just find it weird how its a specific rpm and only does it if i plant it then let off.
I agree. I have changed the trans mount (under battery), because it looked worn and there was quite a lot of play. The vibrations still there, but downshifts got a bit smoother. The engine mount looks fine. On the Internet, I have also heard about DSGs being underfilled, but I don't think it's our problem.

Arronleeds

Passed Driver's Ed
I agree. I have changed the trans mount (under battery), because it looked worn and there was quite a lot of play. The vibrations still there, but downshifts got a bit smoother. The engine mount looks fine. On the Internet, I have also heard about DSGs being underfilled, but I don't think it's our problem.
i had my dsg serviced by vw and it didnt change anything, i just find it weird how its a specific rpm range, i almost feel like it could be the exhaust resonating. i do actually have a gearbox issue that vw/seat are blatantly fobbing me off with.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2009 GLI, 2016 GTI
My first thought for any sort of rpm dependent vibration is loose a heat shield, bracket or exhaust rattling or something. Id just get under the car and start grabbing onto stuff and checking bolts for tightness.