GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MIB2 High / Discover Pro toolbox!

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@Cuzoe Did you manage to use the Porsche or Bentley mapstyles?
I'm not using the sdcard, I edited the files directly. Audi and VW are working for me. Porsche and Bentley not.
At this moment I have the Audi maps and the Porsche carsor. But I like the Porsche POI images. :)
I also tried to edit the images.ccf and replace all the images, but then my navigation doesn't start..
So.. I'm stuck for now and my car battery is low on voltage. 😅

dvw.r
Haha... never got Porsche or Bentley to work, always using the SD card. I don't even know what they look like but I wanna see them dammit.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@dvw.r On the toolbox GitHub there's a good discussion (might be closed) about mapstyles. I think the person over there was doing a set of custom graphics. But they found it had something to do with the version numbers in the various text/config files. I tried a lot of things, moving dates around, changing the names and metadata of the text files. Nothing that I tried worked. The Audi maps are a later version than the VW ones so required no editing to work, just plopped on the SD.

Ultimately it seems the MIB is only willing to use the SD styles if they are later than whatever it's using internally. I guess that makes sense, using the SD mapstyles seems to be a debug/testing function. Which may explain why it does not care that the SD maps are not VW, while the brand matters for the internal mapstyles.

dvw.r

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 R
@Cuzoe I'll take a look at github. I tried some other things without luck. But we will see, I don't give up that easely.

And tbh I doubt your last statement is correct. (Sorry if it sounds rude or douch, language barrier, but read everything with a friendly tone ^^).
Because I didn't use the SD. I made a telnet connection, changed the internal foldername to .bak, mounted the Audi iso, copied everything to a new map on the original location. That works, even with the Porsche carsor. So internally my maps are Audi.
I tried the same with the Porsche and Bentley style, so internally my version would be the same as Porsche or Bentley, so no comparison possible atm (I guess) and still no luck. Maybe the version is kept somewhere else as well or the structure is different [well 'is' different for at least the poi images folder [as an example fueltypes)]

My last try was to replace the images 1 by 1 and still no luck, so maybe I need to adjust another file. I'll search for this later, no more time this weekend. :(

My last resort/try would be copying/pasting the Porsche files into the Audi folder structure. But that's a longshot.. I'll first try to get the edited images.cff working. Fingers crossed, first thing I'll try monday (working from home has same benefits).

dvw.r

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
There's a decidedly non-zero chance that everything I've ever posted is factually and theoretically incorrect 😂. You're much deeper into it, and more adept at navigating this than I. So I'll defer to what you have found to be true or not true. No worries there.

Did you happen to find that discussion on the GitHub? I think they ended up just replacing some images in their default map style and not using an alternate. What I don't remember is weather they were using images of their own or if their custom map style was made up of a combination of the various map styles available.

Your mention of some of the things being different in the Porsche map style kind of jogged my memory. I half remember noticing some structure differences. Of course I have no idea the implications.

jauho

Car(s)
MK7.5 GTE
Hello, I installed toolbox and installed "android auto patch" successfully. I would like to install video in motion also, but I cannot find it anywhere. Where are the scripts? "New location of scripts - now factory like" What does this mean?

dvw.r

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 R
@Cuzoe Well you were right after all. I found the GitHub discussion and tried to edit the version and it worked. Thank you!
I assumed that the infotainment only checked one place, but it doesn't.
Locations (source: GitHub):
  • /mnt/app/navigation/resources/app/vw/<region>
  • /mnt/navdb/mapStyles_<region>
  • /fs/sda0/
  • /fs/sdb0/
So I did what they said, I changed version-cfg.txt to a higher value, I used 12.0.908. Now the Porsche mapstyle is working.
Bentley as well, but I prefer the Porsche style.
For me version-cfg.txt was read-only, made it writeable, changed it, saved it, made it read-only again.
If I try other mapstyles, u just don't copy the version-cfg.txt file and leave my edited one.

I also found my mistake with the edited images.cff file. I had to change the resourceConfig.xml as well.
So, I have all the mapstyles working and also an hybrid AU/PO: Audi mapstyles and Porsche POI icons and carsor.

Atm, Porsche mapstyle used internally and SDcard method unlocked. So if I want to play with the mapstyles, insert SD.
If I don't, my infotainment uses the Porsche style. I'll still try to edit maps, just for the fun, but I'll keep using the Porsche style, minimalistic.

Thanks again for pointing my towards the right direction, me happy. :)

dvw.r

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
In my case I have no problem leaving the factory VW internal map style alone. I'm happy to just throw in an SD card to try the other styles, Audi already working.

So what you found Is that on the SD card only version-cfg.txt matters? So I should just be able to edit that file and then copy over all of the Porsche stuff instead of the Audi stuff onto my SD?

dvw.r

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 R
@Cuzoe yes, that's correct. So just throw all your Porsche mapstyle files into your sdcard's root dir.
Edit the version-cfg.txt to a higher number, I just changed the first number to 12 and you are done.
version-cfg.txt could be read-only, so just make it writeable (Right click -> Properties -> Uncheck 'Read-only') before you edit it.
Make it read-only again after you saved it (don't know if it's necessary, but yea it's 'cleaner').

After that, if you want to change to another mapstyle, just delete everything from the sdcard's root dir, except the version-cfg.txt.
Copy the other mapstyle to your root, but don't replace the version-cfg.txt, so you don't need to edit it ever again. :)

dvw.r

dvw.r

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 R
Hello, I installed toolbox and installed "android auto patch" successfully. I would like to install video in motion also, but I cannot find it anywhere. Where are the scripts? "New location of scripts - now factory like" What does this mean?
Just use the VIM 199 script and you are done. I don't really understand your question tbh. It's in the mib2toolbox menu.

dvw.r

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Likely won't get to test it until I go to work in the morning, but I did exactly what you said, made the first number 12. My file wasn't read only but I made it read only anyway.

It also seems I was pretty close to getting this working before. I had a folder with Porsche files and in the version-cfg.txt I left the first two numbers alone but changed the last set of numbers to match the last set of the Audi version-cfg.txt. I suspect my "logic" at the time was that since the Audi maps worked then using the numbers from that version-cfg.txt should automatically work but for whatever reason it didn't.

The Audi text file has the highest number of the four styles that were on my unit. Both Porsche and Bentley are lower numbers than the VW maps.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Went for carry-out, mostly so I could try this, not because no food at home :LOL:. And it worked with changing first numbers to 12. Not sure why changing the last set of numbers didn't work... but who cares now, haha. Will check out Bentley in the morning, but the Porsche style is simple and clean!

1682319013555.png

1682319065060.png

dvw.r

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 R
@Cuzoe Theoretically it should work with the Audi version-cfg.txt too, but maybe there is a conflict when u use the same version number for a different file structure, idk, just guessing tbh.

And haha, I know the feeling. I didn't have any time this weekend, had a party but took my laptop with me and when I went for a 'smoke' I just went to my car to test some thing out. Obsessed maybe? 😅
Bentley is nice as well, but was a little bit to dark for me in the 'Night mode', so I went for the Porsche mapstyle.
The only thing I still want to do, is add the sky starts image to the Porsche theme.

dvw.r

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Haha... Yeah I was like "oh simplified colors, that's nice, where's the starry sky?"

I think the Porsche maps are too boring in the daytime, this will not stand...
1682344829737.png

1682344854957.png

Last edited:

dvw.r

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 R
@Cuzoe yea I know what you mean, it's to simple sometimes. In more crowded areas and centres it's nice. Otherwise to simple.

I'll try to build a Porsche/Audi hybrid version this week. If you want, I can share it with you when I' finished. But first thing on the list is custom images/bootscreen/etc for my brother's TCR (Delphi mib2).

dvw.r