GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GOLF MK7 VCDS TWEAKS

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Don, don't you have an older MK7? I believe yours predates the change made to the Central Electrics module sometime around 2016. There is no long coding to be found anywhere in this module for my 2017 MK7 . My OBDeleven pro does not show there being subsystems for this module, either.
southpaw:You are correct about the changes made around mid-2016 - but It doesn't matter whether the BCM in the car has, or doesn't have a long-code string. LIN modules have their own long code strings which are separate to anything that may, or may not be on the BCM.

The status of LIN modules as "slave/Subsystems" refers only to the way that these modules are wired in the CAN network (and as a result - the communication's path within the wider CAN environment) . Apart from this wiring dependency, LIN modules have their own set of software switches; therefore their own long code strings.

Don

Last edited:

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
That's what I have been saying - there is no way to do this on my '18 GSW using OBDEleven and that should mean it would be the same with VCDS. VCDS/OBDEleven should be basically interchangeable w/r to these mods.
tigeo:For obvious reasons related in the main to the position of the continent on which I reside - I'm not familiar with a NAR MY18 GSW. But - my understanding is that this model is built on a MQB platform and as a result it shares the same DNA as other similarly built VAG vehicles.

Of course it's possible that the design architecture for the front windshield wipers is different on MY18 GSWs, but if your assertion is correct, it means that the rain/light sensor module has also changed and also the anti-theft module and also the relative humidity sensor module since these devices are all LIN slaves/Subsystems to the BCM/Central Electrics module on MQB platform cars.

As I have said, anything is possible - but it just seems odd that a car with a long Golf pedigree and with many similar features to other mk7.5 models would deviate in the way that LIN slaves report to the CAN network.

And of course, if you are correct - your assertion begs the obvious question: if these LIN slaves don't report to the hex09 module - where are these modules connected for your car?

Don

Last edited:

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
tigeo:For obvious reasons related in the main to the position of the continent on which I reside - I'm not familiar with a NAR MY18 GSW. But - my understanding is that this model is built on a MQB platform and as a result it shares the same DNA as other similarly built VAG vehicles.

Of course it's possible that the design architecture for the front windshield wipers is different on MY18 GSWs, but if your assertion is correct, it means that the rain/light sensor module has also changed and also the anti-theft module and also the relative humidity sensor module since these devices are all LIN slaves/Subsystems to the BCM/Central Electrics module on MQB platform cars.

As I have said, anything is possible - but it just seems odd that a car with a long Golf pedigree and with many similar features to other mk7.5 models would deviate in the way that LIN slaves report to the CAN network.

And of course, if you are correct - your assertion begs the obvious question: if these LIN slaves don't report to the hex09 module - where are these modules connected for your car?

Don

Is it possible for a slave module to not have a programming interface presented in the CAN network? I'm wondering if they updated the wiper slave module at some point (coinciding with or prior to MY2017) to no longer be accessible on the network? I am in the same situation as Tigeo: I have tear wipe enabled in adaptations, but the command is somehow not getting executed at the slave module.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Is it possible for a slave module to not have a programming interface presented in the CAN network? I'm wondering if they updated the wiper slave module at some point (coinciding with or prior to MY2017) to no longer be accessible on the network? I am in the same situation as Tigeo: I have tear wipe enabled in adaptations, but the command is somehow not getting executed at the slave module.
This has been somewhat common for other modules with the change from the MK7 to the MK7.5 FL - rain closing is an example. We jsut don't have access to anything but adaptations in this module. The interesting thing is for my Atlas (2018) which is MQB, I have that access and the f. tear drop wipe works.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
ATR: try changing the adaptation channel below in the BCM. The factory setting is 5 sec - try a larger time to increase the wait time

IDE02711-ENG116694-Rear Window Wiper-Komofortwischen Heck Intervallpausenzeit Stufe Automatik
So I tried it. It was actually set to 7 seconds. But the longest I could set it to was 15 seconds.

Unfortunately it still had a delay of 7 seconds 😢

Is there something that's needed to do afterwards to reset things 🤔

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
This has been somewhat common for other modules with the change from the MK7 to the MK7.5 FL - rain closing is an example. We jsut don't have access to anything but adaptations in this module. The interesting thing is for my Atlas (2018) which is MQB, I have that access and the f. tear drop wipe works.
Interesting. I checked with OBDeleven, and for 09 Central Electrics, there is a header for Subsystems, but when I click on it, I get only a list of the subsystems connected (WWS 17025 [wiper/washer system?] and Sirene [alarm siren?]), with no programming options.

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Interesting. I checked with OBDeleven, and for 09 Central Electrics, there is a header for Subsystems, but when I click on it, I get only a list of the subsystems connected (WWS 17025 [wiper/washer system?] and Sirene [alarm siren?]), with no programming options.
hmm......... so - now we are getting somewhere (you clearly have the OBD11 Pro device)! Let's first establish what operating system you are using; iOS, or Android?

What happens if you select the WWS 1705 module (like on picture 2 -the highlighted box) and then you press Long coding on picture 3 below?

Last edited:

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
So I tried it. It was actually set to 7 seconds. But the longest I could set it to was 15 seconds.

Unfortunately it still had a delay of 7 seconds 😢

Is there something that's needed to do afterwards to reset things 🤔
Southpaw: Of course - anything is possible!!! But, I suspect that it's unlikely because these LIN slaves to the hex09 modules are ubiquitous - they appear on all sorts of MQB platform models! The advantage for VW/Audi/Seat for having these software switches on the WWS module is that the same module can be used across different models - which is kind-of the central design philosophy of MQB (i.e. a common platform on which to build lots of cars)!

Don

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
hmm......... so - now we are getting somewhere (you clearly have the OBD11 Pro device)! Let's first establish what operating system you are using; iOS, or Android?

What happens if you select the WWS 1705 module (like on picture 2 -the highlighted box) and then you press Long coding on picture 3 below?
Don,

So I tried it, and you are right-- I can access the long coding of the wiper motor slave module through the Subsystem menu! The long coding is:

Wws1.jpg

But... how does one go about understanding what long coding is required to enable the tear-wipe? I've had this command enabled in module 09 adaptations since I've owned the car, to no avail. (Excuse the literal screen shot photos-- I don't know how to take internal screenshots on an Android):

Wws2.jpg

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Southpaw: Of course - anything is possible!!! But, I suspect that it's unlikely because these LIN slaves to the hex09 modules are ubiquitous - they appear on all sorts of MQB platform models! The advantage for VW/Audi/Seat for having these software switches on the WWS module is that the same module can be used across different models - which is kind-of the central design philosophy of MQB (i.e. a common platform on which to build lots of cars)!

Don
I saw my post was quoted, but I wasn't sure if the reply was to me or not 🤔

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Don,

So I tried it, and you are right-- I can access the long coding of the wiper motor slave module through the Subsystem menu! The long coding is:

View attachment 177880

But... how does one go about understanding what long coding is required to enable the tear-wipe? I've had this command enabled in module 09 adaptations since I've owned the car, to no avail. (Excuse the literal screen shot photos-- I don't know how to take internal screenshots on an Android):

View attachment 177881
The way that you make sense of what functions the software switches do on the WWS module long-code is to use data from another diagnostic device - like this:

the descriptors on Screens 2-3 above give you the software switch functions for each Byte/Bit on the long-code pages for OBD11

Don

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
I saw my post was quoted, but I wasn't sure if the reply was to me or not 🤔
my bad (I'm new to this :D) - this reply was intended for southpaw
Don

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
The way that you make sense of what functions the software switches do on the WWS module long-code is to use data from another diagnostic device - like this:

the descriptors on Screens 2-3 above give you the software switch functions for each Byte/Bit on the long-code pages for OBD11

Don

Don, brilliant, thanks! My long coding differs from yours at just one switch (Byte 2, Bit 3).

I wonder how does adaptive tear wiping differ from non-adaptive tear wiping? I see they are listed as two separate software switches.

I'll try this tomorrow and report back!

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Don, I checked the box at Byte 2, Bit 5, and voila! tear wipe works after all these years! So it looks like it has to be enabled both in module 09 and in the wws slave module.
For the 2018 I'm out of luck on the front and will have to suffer with only have a rear tear drop - which BTW only works if you turn off the rear wiper quickly after initiating the wash cycle or it doesn't work.