GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Undecided on which tune makes sense for me

Dubguy1

Passed Driver's Ed
get a eurodyne maestro if you are even thinking ofgoing past stage 1. why? Simple. buy it and flash the stg1 file then if you go stg2 just flash the stg2 file, no additional charges. wanna go past that too? no problem. big turbo and mpi base files are on thier way as is 4 bar and mpi control.
it grows with your mods at no additional charge

I always read about people having issues with their tune. How is reliability compared to others?

iTsLiKeAnEgG

Ready to race!
I’d be interested in both ECU and TCU. I don’t recall exactly what people were complaining about but it seemed to be quirky. People say support is bad too.

No issues on my R and email has been pretty responsive.

Dubguy1

Passed Driver's Ed
I really wonder if I should just get JB4 until I’m rays to go with a full flash. I haven’t heard of any issues with JB4. Hmm

Luchos

Go Kart Champion
Really? I didn't know that. When did that happened?

Right after UM released it, someone brought their car in to APR and they copied it. The funniest thing of the whole shady ordeal is Jeff intentionally left some encrypted signatures that APR didn't even bother removing.

Anyways, I vote UM if you want a flash. JB4 is the clear winner for a piggyback.

Luchos

Go Kart Champion
UM tunes seem great, but we don't have a dealer anywhere close.

Depending on where in Utah you live, you have IROZ in Las Vegas and Bluewater in Denver. Should make for a good road trip, especially since both states legalized it. :D

Luchos

Go Kart Champion
I always read about people having issues with their tune. How is reliability compared to others?

I have Eurodyne Maestro for my mk1 TT, I ran it on my mk6 R as well. This time around I went with UM because of flex fuel and MPI support. I flashed my buddies mk6 GTI and he loves it, the only issue I'm aware of is it doesn't display boost on the Performance Monitor gauge.

xheartcoreboyx1

Right after UM released it, someone brought their car in to APR and they copied it. The funniest thing of the whole shady ordeal is Jeff intentionally left some encrypted signatures that APR didn't even bother removing.

Anyways, I vote UM if you want a flash. JB4 is the clear winner for a piggyback.

Where is proof for that..and why did UM look into APR files from the first place?

Luchos

Go Kart Champion

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
Since you have a R, I'd be much more concerned about the Haldex failure than a turbo failure. I haven't followed the R as closely as the GTI, but I don't remember the IS38's having issues or needing to look for a revision, someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

When I say that, there have been people having issues with the Haldex and it needing replacing. Some with a tune, some without. Not widespread, but more of a concern I would think than the turbo in an R.

Just my .02c

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Since you have a R, I'd be much more concerned about the Haldex failure than a turbo failure. I haven't followed the R as closely as the GTI, but I don't remember the IS38's having issues or needing to look for a revision, someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

When I say that, there have been people having issues with the Haldex and it needing replacing. Some with a tune, some without. Not widespread, but more of a concern I would think than the turbo in an R.

Just my .02c

The IS38s are junk too, and like the IS20s they have a dozen revisions and still aren't bulletproof.

With the development that has happened over the last year, at this point there are only two tuning solutions I'd buy...ED and Cobb.

Dubguy1

Passed Driver's Ed
The IS38s are junk too, and like the IS20s they have a dozen revisions and still aren't bulletproof.

With the development that has happened over the last year, at this point there are only two tuning solutions I'd buy...ED and Cobb.

Why is that? UM seems to be the cream of the crop. Very aggressive though.

marauder

Go Kart Newbie
I know this topic has been best to death, but I’m curious if anyone could give me advice as to what option sounds best for me. I have a 2016 R with 10k on the clock. The only mods I have are the x34 intake and AWE Switchpath exhaust. I do not track my car and do not plan to, I’m just a nerdy accountant who burns off steam by ripping hard on cars. ??*♂️ Anyways, the closest tuner to me is APR, which is 1.5 hours away. The next closest is a shop that carries APR, Uni and UM, but they’re about 3 hours away. I always ran APR on my card and went all APR for paste but as you can see on this one it’s not the case. Alternatively I can go JB4. I spoke with the shop that carries all three and they said Uni really hasn’t done it for them. They recommended APR or UM.

My main concerns are as follows:

1) I’ve heard of some turbos blowing. I tried to figure out my revision but need to get a new mirror to see if I’m in the clear.
2) With the flash tunes if something does go wrong hoe would I get it flashed back to stock when the dealers are so far away?
3) Lastly, with JB4 I wouldn’t be running a TCU tune.

What do you guys think? I know I’m over thinking it but would like to jump on something as a post ‘busy season’ gift to myself. Any input would be much appreciated!

Have you thought about Cobb tunes? We do custom tuning for the R through Cobb AP. It would allow you to tune locally, switch back to stock whenever you want, and monitor your output.
The big advantage of going with a custom tune is the tune is purpose built for your car. You get a professional tuner reviewing your logs to see exactly how the car is responding to the tune and make any adjustments to ensure the tune is running properly and safely. Another great advantage is it's not 'lost' money should you sell the car. The AP carries a very good resale value.
http://www.stratifiedauto.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=259