GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New GTI - a few thoughts and questions

Shaggz

Passed Driver's Ed
Bullshit. Noob has nothing to do with it.

I do, however, chastise silliness like "I don't believe what VW says about the oil I should use...what do you random strangers think?"

And I don't discriminate, noob or otherwise.

Dealers always market their own stuff... That's what he was asking. You sure are grumpy... you must be a little guy with Napoleon complex or some shit.

adam1991

Banned
Dealers always market their own stuff... That's what he was asking. You sure are grumpy... you must be a little guy with Napoleon complex or some shit.

Whatever.

Sure they market their own stuff. But oil is determined by specs, not by brand or reseller.

If it meets the specs, it meets the specs.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Whatever.

Sure they market their own stuff. But oil is determined by specs, not by brand or reseller.

Except that you need to pay VW to be able to print 502.00 on the bottle.

SpaceGhost

Ready to race!
Whatever.

I could be imagining this but I'm pretty sure when I changed my oil the cap on the engine said castrol on it. I'm thinking wonder how much they paid VW for that bullshit advertisement

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
502 spec oil comes from a variety of manufacturer's including full synthetic, which is what comes from the factory and is what is recommended. Not sure you can even buy "regular dino" oil in 502 spec, but I've never had a reason to look.

I personally use Mobil 1; 0w-40, full synthetic.

P.s. Not sure what you mean by "scaring people into buying their oil". You can get 502 spec oil anywhere, you don't have to buy it exclusively from the dealer.

Walmart even sells Castrol 502.
Welcome to the forum and glad you like the new ride.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I could be imagining this but I'm pretty sure when I changed my oil the cap on the engine said castrol on it. I'm thinking wonder how much they paid VW for that bullshit advertisement

How else would it work?
I am sure overall VW is paying Castrol for the oil it uses.
Otherwise Castrol would be paying others to use it’s oil? Not a good business plan. If VW agrees to put the name on the cap then they are likely gettting something from the deal which could mean that it likely reduces or keeps the cost down on something you purchased.

No one makes us use the oil so feel free to switch.
There are also aftermarket caps so you can remove from engine also.

But partner manufacturing has been in use for a long time.
Puma makes driving shoes but put Ferrari, BMW logo’s on the nicer shoes.
I would rather they not as driving a GTI and wearing Ferrari shoes seems silly.
But I know why the logo is on the shoe and yes they are trying to hook Ferrari owners or Ferrari fans. If they sell then it is a good business decision.

SpaceGhost

Ready to race!
How else would it work?
I am sure overall VW is paying Castrol for the oil it uses.
Otherwise Castrol would be paying others to use it’s oil? Not a good business plan. If VW agrees to put the name on the cap then they are likely gettting something from the deal which could mean that it likely reduces or keeps the cost down on something you purchased.

No one makes us use the oil so feel free to switch.
There are also aftermarket caps so you can remove from engine also.

But partner manufacturing has been in use for a long time.
Puma makes driving shoes but put Ferrari, BMW logo’s on the nicer shoes.
I would rather they not as driving a GTI and wearing Ferrari shoes seems silly.
But I know why the logo is on the shoe and yes they are trying to hook Ferrari owners or Ferrari fans. If they sell then it is a good business decision.

Because Ferrari and BMW are premium brand that people aspire to own.

I don't really give a shit it just seemed odd certainly nothing I have ever seen before and hopefully not a trend. Mobile on the gas cap, prestone on the radiator. Don't really need that shit

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
would a Ferrari oil cap fit on my GTI?

bonus points; how many HP would it add?

I doubt it makes a difference but I would gladly pay $5.00 less for an oil cap that had Castrol printed in it if Castrol was going to be giving VW the $

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG

wbw

Ready to race!
I probably should have put my oil question in an oil forum like BITOG instead of a car forum. I just tagged it along with my new GTI thoughts. As I said in my original post "I have no problem buying oil that meets their specs." Some people seem to have missed that. The question was, is the 502.00 oil that much different than non-502.00 synthetic oil. I'll ask it on BITOG.

Thanks for the 'Welcome's.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
I probably should have put my oil question in an oil forum like BITOG instead of a car forum. I just tagged it along with my new GTI thoughts. As I said in my original post "I have no problem buying oil that meets their specs." Some people seem to have missed that. The question was, is the 502.00 oil that much different than non-502.00 synthetic oil. I'll ask it on BITOG.

Thanks for the 'Welcome's.

No need to ask, the manufacturer specifies 502 spec oil. Just buy 502 spec oil like it says. It's not rare, it's not expensive, it's not hard to find. It's pretty common. Not sure what your issue is with it?

If I may ask, why don't you want to use 502 spec oil? BITOG isn't going to definitively answer your question anyway.

Are you wanting to get it changed at "Quick Lube" type places? Why would you want to use something other than specified? The manufacturer specified it for a reason. Most if not all Euro cars are 502 spec or higher. it's not just a VW thing.

If you don't do dealer oil changes you need to document that the specified procedure was followed so you don't risk voiding the warranty. I'd also highly recommend the OEM filter, atleast while it's under warranty. Again not expensive and not hard to find. I have a 6 pack sitting in my garage.