GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Warranty denied…as I did not put enough mileage on car

oldorange

Passed Driver's Ed
Battery failed on the weekend. My dealer told me that as I have only done 16,xxxkm in 2.5 years the battery did not have the opportunity to charge. $250 for a new battery and install later…
I understand that a battery needs to be charged and that short trips ain’t good for it, but still kinda sux.

Gibberoni

Ready to race!
$250 for a battery??? What did they put in there, a gold battery? It should be $80! Unless the R battery is just totally different than the GTI Battery.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
I don't know what sort of consumer protections you have up in Canada, but down here, if you have a warranty which covers your battery, not driving the car enough doesn't give the manufacturer a way out of that contract. To allow for that, they would have to stipulate it in the warranty agreement. I'd escalate to someone at VWOC.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Considering your car is tuned you won't exactly be doing yourself any favors by stirring things up.

Best to just eat the cost of the new battery.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
I just got a call from my dealer telling me I can come get a free battery due to the recall. Debating if I want to do it since the jb4 runs right by the battery and I don't want them asking questions/dont feel like removing it. Did you ask about the recall? Sounds like it should be changed regardless of mileage.

SweetJones_29

Ready to race!
$250 for a battery??? What did they put in there, a gold battery? It should be $80! Unless the R battery is just totally different than the GTI Battery.

Where do you get a $80.00 battery for a GTI?

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
SOP. I work at a Porsche dealership and battery claims often get denied due to lack of driving the car. That's why we recommend battery tenders/maintainers if you don't plan on driving very often.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
BS to not driving it enough.

Move the wiring for the JB4 away from the battery or better yet, remove it completely.

lcubed

Ready to race!
somehow that seems wrong, especially since there's an open recall to replace R batteries here in the states. fwiw, my R has roughly 10,000 miles and is 2.5 years old. still eligible for the battery recall.

gtiscott

Passed Driver's Ed
If you bring your car to the dealer for anything just remove the JB4 it takes a few minutes. Also I would go even as far as replacing the tapped o2 sensor, if i actually had an issue.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
If you bring your car to the dealer for anything just remove the JB4 it takes a few minutes. Also I would go even as far as replacing the tapped o2 sensor, if i actually had an issue.

I've been lucky to have no warranty repairs in 3 years, but I don't remove it for minor services or oil changes. Just unplug the obd2 plug. It takes more than a few minutes to get under the car for the last plug, it can't be accessed from the top. I don't have a way to safely get under the car at my condo.