GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI Clubsport vs Golf R

n00bcarlover

Hey guys! My first post in here :cool:
I'm currently deciding between buying a Golf GTI Clubsport (Edition 40) or a Golf R (or maybe a Audi TT) and can't really decide. Would love some input from people who owned any of these cars a long while. How do you enjoy living with it? Pretty sure I will be happy no matter what car I choose since this will be my first performance car ever :)

worldacgti

Go Kart Champion
I would go clubsport if that were an option here in NA. It's more rare, Looks better (subjective of course) and is faster in any situation other than a dig.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Couple of points...

The two piece discs on the CS are badly designed & cause over heating on one side...because the internal vanes are directional.....but asymmetric..

VW have used the same "blank" for both sides, so one side they are rotating the correct way & forcing air from the hub to the disc outer edge...the other side is rotating the wrong way & it is sucking air from the outer edge to the hub..which is not effective...causing heat build up...same discs & problems on Audi TTRS...

You live in Sweden?....even with proper winter tyres AWD will beat the CS FWD & FDL unit in snow, ice etc...fit a wavetrac diff in the gearbox of the AWD "R" & really have fun...

n00bcarlover

Couple of points...

The two piece discs on the CS are badly designed & cause over heating on one side...because the internal vanes are directional.....but asymmetric..

VW have used the same "blank" for both sides, so one side they are rotating the correct way & forcing air from the hub to the disc outer edge...the other side is rotating the wrong way & it is sucking air from the outer edge to the hub..which is not effective...causing heat build up...same discs & problems on Audi TTRS...

What does that mean? That the brakes are prone to failure eventually?
The main reason I'm interested in the CS is because I fell in love with the interior. Racing bucket seats and the micro-fiber steering wheel.
Also If I have the courage to tune it, i've heard stage 1 gives it 350hp as it essentially the same engine as the R. I had a big smile on my face the entire time when I test drove it. It's time to drive the R and see if it can do the same thing =]

Yepp, I live in Sweden. And this is going to be my daily. I know the AWD can be useful but I've lived with a FWD car before and I didn't really have any problems. And I also read some posts here with people having haldex problems, so I don't know. Can't have the problem If I don't have haldex haha.

TheSwede

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf7 Alltrack/Cupra
Clarification brakes

There GTI CS have the same disc brakes as R and GTI performance pack which is one solid piece discs.

The GTI CS S have discs with alu- center, one piece but assembled of two different materials so to say. Also the new face lift R 7,5 have this brake option in the new R performance pack, if you pay extra.

I have a 2014 R and have upgraded the brakes 6 months ago the GTI CS S brakes (or R PP brakes). Works fine in daily driving, also on track days! I haven’t heard about any issues with them. I have vw friends which also have replaced the brakes to these upgrade brakes (see tread below). No issues. My friends GTI CS and my own are used on track now and then. The main reason of the upgrade these both cars was to achieve longer durability for both discs and pads. The upgrade works great!

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=483596&postcount=79

In all both CS and R are great cars. I prefer the R, the 4wd makes it fast out of corners. R is great driving in snow :D!

PS The OEM brakes on both R and GTI CS are good but the upgrade brakes little bit better...

/Peter

Jofa73

Passed Driver's Ed
What does that mean? That the brakes are prone to failure eventually?
The main reason I'm interested in the CS is because I fell in love with the interior. Racing bucket seats and the micro-fiber steering wheel.
Also If I have the courage to tune it, i've heard stage 1 gives it 350hp as it essentially the same engine as the R. I had a big smile on my face the entire time when I test drove it. It's time to drive the R and see if it can do the same thing =]

Yepp, I live in Sweden. And this is going to be my daily. I know the AWD can be useful but I've lived with a FWD car before and I didn't really have any problems. And I also read some posts here with people having haldex problems, so I don't know. Can't have the problem If I don't have haldex haha.

The CS does not have 2 piece disks, the CSS does. The CS has the same discs as an R.
The CS is more nimble then an R, testdrive them both and you vill se. I ended upp with a CS, and the buckets seats are really comfortable and make the interior more sporty :).

n00bcarlover

Thanks for all the answers, guys. Many Swedes here, hehe.
Does any of you who own a Clubsport, tuned it? And If so can you recommend a good tuner in Sweden? Heard It goes from 265/295 to a whopping 350 on Stage 1

Jofa73

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for all the answers, guys. Many Swedes here, hehe.
Does any of you who own a Clubsport, tuned it? And If so can you recommend a good tuner in Sweden? Heard It goes from 265/295 to a whopping 350 on Stage 1

Stertman motorsport has tuned there own CS to 500+hp. I haven't tuned mine, but thinking of an jb4 when the summer approaches.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
And I also read some posts here with people having haldex problems, so I don't know. Can't have the problem If I don't have haldex haha.

WRONG.....You still have a Haldex unit (heavily modified version of the AWD unit) that's what the Electro-hydraulic front diff lock is (wrongly called a LSD by the marketing lot)..& it requires servicing every three years & yes you can have clutch pack failures, pump failures & PCB board failures....just like the AWD in the "R"..

I haven’t heard about any issues with them.

/Peter

Sorry CS & CCS get mixed up...& yes I know that the two piece are on the MK7.5 "R" performance pack option also.

The faults were in relation to an article in the UK mag "VW driver" which was done by a CCS owner & got the discs re skimmed professionally & the garage that did them stated that they see Audi TTRS with the same problem as same discs...

Basically VW should have made two different discs blanks, one with the internal vanes rotating clockwise & the other with them rotating anti-clockwise....instead they just made one & used for both sides....

Usually the internal vanes are not angled/directional & are just straight "radial"...so no problems...

Trancebolt

Ready to race!
R: Fully functional backseat and all weather capabiliry for family road trips to the mountains .kind of tinny exhaust sound

Gti cs: backseat but only two doors so depending on the sort of people you may drive with, that is sometimes undesirable. Car is lighter and you get the seats and alcantara I think steering wheel. No awd so snow tires and chains for anything more than basic roads.

Gti cs s: no backseat but still the same size. Same no awd issue. I live in California but this is still a factor for other people. If you can find one this would appreciate the most of them all. U may not want to flog it as much as you'd get to with the others. Best exhaust

TT. S or rs or whatever you get, no backseat period. Shitnyou could at least throw groceries in the back of the css. Most available options packages and out of the box horsepower. Also the most money. Least practical.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Jofa73

Passed Driver's Ed
R: Fully functional backseat and all weather capabiliry for family road trips to the mountains .kind of tinny exhaust sound

Gti cs: backseat but only two doors so depending on the sort of people you may drive with, that is sometimes undesirable. Car is lighter and you get the seats and alcantara I think steering wheel. No awd so snow tires and chains for anything more than basic roads.

Gti cs s: no backseat but still the same size. Same no awd issue. I live in California but this is still a factor for other people. If you can find one this would appreciate the most of them all. U may not want to flog it as much as you'd get to with the others. Best exhaust

TT. S or rs or whatever you get, no backseat period. Shitnyou could at least throw groceries in the back of the css. Most available options packages and out of the box horsepower. Also the most money. Least practical.

GTI CS is availible with 4 doors, and most of them have it, atleast in sweden. Snow tires are mandatory in sweden during a specified period. The CS does fine in snow even if it's not awd.

Trancebolt

Ready to race!
Hmm that's cool id go with that one. So css is the two door only with no backseat?

For me here in California a four door clubsport would be perfect. I prefer the sport seats though everything else from the cs. If you live in snow awd really does make a difference when deciding.

RennWerks

Go Kart Newbie
I apologize for jumping the thread, but I cannot resisting saying how lucky those of you in Europe are to have a choice/chance to buy a Volkswagen Clubsport. What a unique car! Particularly from Volkswagen. I've joked that I'd buy a dozen if they were available here (in the U.S.), but I'd have at least one, for sure.

So, to answer the poster's question: Clubsport, without question. The only topper would be a Clubsport S. Hard to imagine you'd lose a dime (krona?) over time, and may actually make a few.