GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stratified Automotive Custom Etune

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
Could just be brand variance. I didn't really believe it either but I've been testing for almost 2k miles now, and there are consistent, repeatable, and significant variances between brands of "93".

Some of it is basically 90 octane. When you have to add more than 1/3 100 octane race gas just to equal straight 93 from another brand, someone is lying.
Yea I'm unfortunately gonna have to have Alex dial it back to make it less sensitive to shitty gas because it's just too common. I can run perfect on this revision and then I get 2 bad batches in a row from top names..

Sent from my ONEPLUS 5T using Tapatalk

Cowzill00

Ready to race!
Yea I'm unfortunately gonna have to have Alex dial it back to make it less sensitive to shitty gas because it's just too common. I can run perfect on this revision and then I get 2 bad batches in a row from top names..

And you wouldn't really know unless you were logging right? I mean you don't necessarily feel it on the butt dyno. This would make me want my final map on the safe side as well.

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
And you wouldn't really know unless you were logging right? I mean you don't necessarily feel it on the butt dyno. This would make me want my final map on the safe side as well.
I can feel it on my wot pulls. When it's pulling time that much it's kill hp. I never drive without my ap though. I'm too ocd now to not constantly look at it lol

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
On my Google feed this morning lol they must know what we're talking about on here [emoji848]

Cowzill00

Ready to race!
On my Google feed this morning lol they must know what we're talking about on here [emoji848]

Your phone does listen in. Hey at least their cash/credit price is the same!

When I was reading about octane testing the other night, there were some horror stories about leaking lids on tanks letting water into the fuel. That could create some logging/KR hell too.

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
This is one of the annoyances of being tuned. I wish there was a quick, easy and fairly cheap way of testing octane.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
This is one of the annoyances of being tuned. I wish there was a quick, easy and fairly cheap way of testing octane.

I always leave 3 gallons of air space in the tank if getting gas from an unknown station and do a log a few minutes after filling.

Worst case scenario I can throw some race gas or E85 in the tank if I just filled up with piss.

marauder

Go Kart Newbie
Unless the gas you're getting is really bad it's not going to harm the car. From one tank to another getting a little more corrections although not ideal and can cause a little power loss isn't going to be bad. If the corrections are better than -2 then I wouldn't worry about it to much. I don't seem to have any issues with my costco gas. It's also probably because it's always really busy and it's in a nice area so lots of 93 gets used.

You can do quick checks by visually looking on the AP while doing a pull or just after by checking the min. It's not ideal but if you see a blip or two at -1.5 i wouldn't be worried.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Unless the gas you're getting is really bad it's not going to harm the car. From one tank to another getting a little more corrections although not ideal and can cause a little power loss isn't going to be bad. If the corrections are better than -2 then I wouldn't worry about it to much. I don't seem to have any issues with my costco gas. It's also probably because it's always really busy and it's in a nice area so lots of 93 gets used.

You can do quick checks by visually looking on the AP while doing a pull or just after by checking the min. It's not ideal but if you see a blip or two at -1.5 i wouldn't be worried.

I don't think it's going to burn down a cylinder, but I can go from an occasional 1-2 degree correction on 1 or 2 cylinders (basically what I'd consider perfect) to 2-4 degrees of sustained knock on all cylinders all the way through the pull just by changing brands.

Unfortunately I'm not seeing small differences, if they were minor I wouldn't really care or pay any attention to it.

Might be able to dyno tomorrow night on pump gas, so will hold off on E30 for a day.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Kid just cancelled, I'll be on the dyno @ 430.

Pump gas numbers coming soon!

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
I don't think it's going to burn down a cylinder, but I can go from an occasional 1-2 degree correction on 1 or 2 cylinders (basically what I'd consider perfect) to 2-4 degrees of sustained knock on all cylinders all the way through the pull just by changing brands.

Unfortunately I'm not seeing small differences, if they were minor I wouldn't really care or pay any attention to it.

Might be able to dyno tomorrow night on pump gas, so will hold off on E30 for a day.
Ditto. I'm totally cool with 1 to 2 here and there on a pull. These last tanks though I'm consistently in the 4 and 5 range. Adding mobile 1 the other day seemed to help its closer to 2 and 3 but it's still consistent in all cylinders. Normally I would throw some e85 in that's why I always leave room in the tank like you said but I want to be totally on 93 to finish this tune. Luckily my 100 mile round trip commute every day runs through gas pretty quickly. Then I'll go to the shell I've gotten gas at for 70% of this process and see how it looks. Might still have him tone it down a bit to help with bad gas. Then again I flashed my base map from months ago and it still had correction lol its just an aggressive tune.

marauder

Go Kart Newbie

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
I always leave 3 gallons of air space in the tank if getting gas from an unknown station and do a log a few minutes after filling.

Worst case scenario I can throw some race gas or E85 in the tank if I just filled up with piss.

Every station is unknown if they've just been topped up though right? At this point I sort of wish the EPA would just require 20% ethanol in 93.

marauder

Go Kart Newbie
Every station is unknown if they've just been topped up though right? At this point I sort of wish the EPA would just require 20% ethanol in 93.

That or just ethanol becomes more widely available. VA and MD are working on expanding their Ethanol station network

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
That or just ethanol becomes more widely available. VA and MD are working on expanding their Ethanol station network
How are e85 stations up by you guys? Are there a decent amount?