GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone else go from an e36 to a MK7 GTI?

dpw325

Hi all, I'm eyeing a 2018 GTI S (or a 2017 given the insanely low prices in my area right now) to replace my E36 M3 as a DD. I've been a huge fan of the E36 platform and daily driven my M3 for 12+ years, but it's time to move on to something more modern and with niceties such as working a/c, 4 doors, and working airbags :)

Has anyone else moved up from an E36 into a MK7? If so, how's the experience been?

Thanks in advance!

dlhoovler

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6MT
Not an E36, but an E46 I'd had for four years (and which itself replaced an E30 I drove for six). So while it's not exactly the comparison you're looking for, I will say that I am very pleased that I made the switch to the GTI (a 2017 Sport).

It has comparable power to the E46 330i but is slightly lighter, so it feels a bit more sprightly, even if not as tossable as the E30. I find that I don't really miss RWD in a daily driver since I'm almost never pushing the car's limits. I did enjoy the occasional bit of hooning in my BMWs in the snow, but losing that temptation was probably for the best. With winter tires, the GTI is a tank, and I haven't had any trouble over the past few weeks of snowy weather here. Not that winter ability is much of a consideration in your case...

I have been averaging a solid 6-7 mpg better in the GTI than the E46, which is nice.

I prefer the VW's cloth seats and interior overall--though my E30's sport seats admittedly fit me the best of any car I've driven. The versatility of the hatchback is welcome. And the back seat has more legroom than the E46. I gave up some minor features (sunroof, automatic climate control, rain-sensing wipers, auto-dimming rearview mirror), and while I do kind of miss those, I wanted the cloth interior more.

Plus it's my first brand-new car, so it's nice to be able to maintain it from day one the way I want to. I'm pleased with my decision.

-Dave

darkmag1k

funny my 15 year old e46 325 it ... stick .... wagon. is on its' last legs. but i've driven it yesterday & ... maaaaan. beema is a beema. don't get me wrong, i love my '17 GTI.

but, you'll miss:
- cushier suspension (i'm 40 ... ;) - GTI is stiff
- v6 ... still pulls pretty well, for 15 yr old chelapy (but 260 torque on GTI does pass pretty anything on the highway ...)
- transmission ... gears are much taller on GTI. so you'll stall it occupationally for the 1st few months
- steering is much tighter on the 3. yeah "sport" on GTI tightens things up, but ... after 2 months, I actually prefer GTI on this. it's easier to live w/ in traffic
- & most of all ... you'll miss RWD

now, the reality of the situation is that GTI is most affordable, powerful & utilitarian german car out there. I've driven mazda3, yaris (i know, but it's fun), focuses, bigger 300 RWD, maximas. & ... there isn't anything out there hatchback for this price or RWD / stick under $30k (new). wagons have been replaced by FWD suvs. I wish BMW would have 2 series hatchback, they've got in canadia here, but they don't ....

so, you'll be happy with the GTI is a fun car. & when you put APR stage 1 on it ... wow.

ps: used. i've been looking at a v8 m3 stick, v8 benz CLS & E (2014 can be had for $30), or 2007 s4 v8 avant (but they have a problem timing chain .... $5k repair).
& a 2008+ 911 (but then your wife has to have SUV)

Gibberoni

Ready to race!
Moved up from an E46. I do miss some things like the auto climate controls, auto smell filter, auto dimming side and rear mirrors, automatic memory seats and the handling of a RWD car with some performance mods.

Other than that I am very happy with the mk7. I was getting tired of replacing the water pump on a yearly basis, and doing the oil filter housing gasket twice... That car cost almost the same in maintenance per month as this one does on finance.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
I sold my cherry, low-mile E39 M5 to buy my R. Some would say that's insane. But I never fell in love with that car. Too big and unwieldy for my tastes, and the V8-equipped E39's (M5 included) have a soulless recirculating-ball steering rack, which is incredibly worse than BMW's outstanding r&p setups of the era. And the OEM sound system (even the expensive "M-audio" upgrade my car was equipped with) was horrendous. So it was time for something more modern. I kept my E46 ZHP coupe so I still have that alongside the R in the garage.

17k miles and a year and half in, I don't regret my decision one bit. I got everything I wanted in the swap and more.

Somebody above mentioned missing the "v6". NO BMW has ever been equipped with a V6. C'mon man!

And Gibberoni - why so many water pump replacements? The OEM E36 era *original* pump was a turd, with a plastic impeller, but modern replacements feature either a metal impeller (such as Stewart) or composite (current OEM and other aftermarket parts). Both are extremely reliable and durable. I did a cooling system refresh on my ZHP at about 80k miles as preventative maintenance, and won't even think about replacing the water pump again until 150k miles or so, if I still have the car at that point.

cruzmisl

Ready to race!
I had an e36 for 7 years, with the worlds worst automatic transmission. I went from that to a G37S wth a stick despite NOT KNOWING how to drive a stick when I bought the car. That e36 auto scarred me from having another auto in my DD. Outside of the auto, loved the car, especially the handling.

I was tired of having a coupe for ~15 years so I drove a GTI on a whim and was sold. Put the G37 up for sale and had a white GTI in the span of a week.

The MK7 really does kind of remind me of some of the better qualities of the e36.

fretburnr

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I've had two e36 M3s in the past, as well as a smattering of e30s, and I currently still own my e46 330i.

My old e36 m3 sedan (estoril on dove) was my forever car, but it met its end way too early in an unfortunate traffic accident. I still miss that car.

However, the MK7 so far gives me much of the solid driving feel, while being more practical, safer, far more economical, and with a ton of modern features. I really, really enjoy it.

dpw325

Thanks everyone! Yes, I have to echo the points made about the e39 chassis--I had a 540i for about 9 months and found it far to barge like to be much fun, thank goodness I kept the e36! I'm going to try out a DSG this weekend and see how it fits. Thanks so much for the responses!

fretburnr

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
As a side note, I've been a staunch manual transmission supporter, and all 11 of my previous cars were manual.

My MK7 is a DSG. It's that good.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Interesting thread... One of the first seriously fast cars I drove was a friends e36 M3. It was/is an amazing car... I happen to have a soft spot for cars with straighter lines in the design... as such, they are one of my favorites...

dwvw

Go Kart Newbie
I have an E30, bought a 2015 GTI, then traded that for a 2016 R. I've traded the E30 for an Inconel downpipe and titanium exhaust. Still waiting for the titanium catback, so technically I still own half an E30.

Gibberoni

Ready to race!
And Gibberoni - why so many water pump replacements? The OEM E36 era *original* pump was a turd, with a plastic impeller, but modern replacements feature either a metal impeller (such as Stewart) or composite (current OEM and other aftermarket parts). Both are extremely reliable and durable. I did a cooling system refresh on my ZHP at about 80k miles as preventative maintenance, and won't even think about replacing the water pump again until 150k miles or so, if I still have the car at that point.

No idea man! I did it every year until I got an aftermarket one. I had the car from 2008-2012 and replaced it 3 times! The aftermarket one finally lasted until I sold the car.