GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Barielle battery G30/GU1R anyone ?

Luchos

Go Kart Champion
What's the point? Just to save a few pounds?? You might be saving the equivalent of 4 gallons of gas. If that much weight is so important, go "racing" with half a tank and call it a day. Reducing battery capacity drastically in a modern car with a ton of current draw is insane. Paying a bunch of money to do it is *really* insane.

Like i mentioned before, this all depends on what you're trying to do. If you're trying to save as much weight possible for the 1/4 mile track and you've already done all the other little things, this makes sense to me. Most people that go to the track(myself included) are aware that fuel weighs 8lbs per gallon, we already go to the track with 1/4-1/2 tank of fuel. It's very easy to bring a spare gas can when you start running low... 30lbs is a decent amount of weight once you've exhausted all other options. Personally i would suggest reducing rotational mass over stationary because it will make that much more of a difference. I am actually dropping off my car next weekend for a prototype drag brake kit(if it can be done) it should be good for 80-90lbs on all 4 corners, it will make a huge difference to me. Also the ability to run even lighter 15" wheels is just icing on the cake.

Rsleyum

Passed Driver's Ed
Well, here's what Braille (correct spelling) says about it:

"Due to low capacity, this model is recommended as a TRACK ONLY model for high electrical demand vehicles like Audi, Porsche and others with lots of electronics & have a high parasitic draw where OEM battery is 60 Ah or higher) If this model is used in such a high demand vehicle, a lithium charger MUST be used if vehicle is not driven regularly and is going to sit for more than a week to ensure battery is not discharged. In most cases, an Intensity or Intensity Carbon model would be the recommended street/track car lithium upgrade."

Sounds to me as if you'd be right on the edge as far as frequency of use without using a charger. Personally I wouldn't do it unless I had another vehicle to drive in case of need.

Neil

(Braille B2015 AGM in my M3 track car)

Yeah I will on the edge with that fingers crossed but I do have a second car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luchos

Go Kart Champion
Yeah I will on the edge with that fingers crossed but I do have a second car

Well at least you don' have to worry about cold starts in the UAE :D

BTW can't find any info on the seats, i'd assume no power sliding would be at least 5-10kg less than our North American seats

Rsleyum

Passed Driver's Ed
What's the point? Just to save a few pounds?? You might be saving the equivalent of 4 gallons of gas. If that much weight is so important, go "racing" with half a tank and call it a day. Reducing battery capacity drastically in a modern car with a ton of current draw is insane. Paying a bunch of money to do it is *really* insane.

Well it depends what is your goal. I purchased the car with a goal in mind. You might think I’m insane but I got the non leather with no sunroof version to keep the weight low. Modern cars has lots of safety features kept the car too heavy and 4 cylinder cars are too allergic to weight.

I’m tying to keep the car around 1400 kg flat if possible with 550hp which the Car is capable of. Pretty much the target was 2.5-2.8 kg/hp.

Shedding 15 kgs from engine bay, spare tyre, sport seats and BBK is all what you need. Some people will go extreme removing rear wipers and fluid washer and lighter bolts if you are weight junkie but I won’t reach that stage [emoji6]

Last edited:

Rsleyum

Passed Driver's Ed

BTW can't find any info on the seats, i'd assume no power sliding would be at least 5-10kg less than our North American seats

You saved me from getting sparco seats ...was planning to get it end of the year since I thought I had 25 kg seats while the electric/leather types is 35 kg but thanks for correcting me ..I will skip the seats and weigh in my car after installing the battery and check the weight with current mods.

Thanks a lot :)

Luchos

Go Kart Champion
Well it depends what is your goal. I purchased the car with a goal in mind. You might think I’m insane but I got the non leather with no sunroof version to keep the weight low. Modern cars has lots of safety features kept the car too heavy and 4 cylinder cars are too allergic to weight.

I’m tying to keep the car around 1400 kg flat if possible with 550hp which the Car is capable of. Pretty much the target was 2.5-2.8 hp/kg.

Shedding 15 kgs from engine bay, spare tyre, sport seats and BBK is all what you need. Some people will go extreme removing rear wipers and fluid washer and lighter bolts if you are weight junkie but I won’t reach that stage ;)

i understand exactly what you're trying to do :cool:

Rsleyum

Passed Driver's Ed

Trust me I will be worried on the opposite spectrum ...during summer it Hoover’s at 50 degrees Celsius (122 Fahrenheit ) during the day..hope nothing melts :D

Luchos

Go Kart Champion
Trust me I will be worried on the opposite spectrum ...during summer it Hoover’s at 50 degrees Celsius (122 Fahrenheit ) during the day..hope nothing melts :D

Well that's not fun but we could use some of that heat in Chicago, it's been between -10 and 10 degrees(-23 and -12 Celcius) for the last 2 weeks!

Rsleyum

Passed Driver's Ed
Well that's not fun but we could use some of that heat in Chicago, it's been between -10 and 10 degrees(-23 and -12 Celcius) for the last 2 weeks!

I heard a friend of mine was there last week took a picture and I was surprised the lake was frozen from how cold it was. That is too cold for me anything below zero degrees calculus I’m not a fan .

NCM

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R

I know just what you mean – many years ago I spent a couple of mid–summer weeks in Sharjah. There was a whole group of engineers and instrumented factory cars from BMW at my hotel doing hot weather testing while I was there. They sure picked the right location for that.

Neil

Rsleyum

Passed Driver's Ed
I know just what you mean – many years ago I spent a couple of mid–summer weeks in Sharjah. There was a whole group of engineers and instrumented factory cars from BMW at my hotel doing hot weather testing while I was there. They sure picked the right location for that.

Neil

Hi Neil,

I’ve seen many future cars testing in Uae before production during summer Period. If it can survive over here then it will can survive for life ! You are right they picked the right place. In Uae mostly British cars I’ve seen on testing such Range Rover, Maclaren and jaguar. In Oman I’ve seen the Bentley in test. Hope to see more other brands over here specially European cuz they don’t survive much like the Japanese do :)

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c

VW actually has a "secret" proving grounds out here in Maricopa AZ, southeast of Phoenix. I only learned of it recently and it was almost right under my nose when I used to live in the area. Definitely appropriate for hot weather testing, and also out in the middle of nowhere where nobody will bother them. Full giant track, skid pad, and other test areas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcaB42-V6VU

Want a job?

http://ketteng.com/careers/job-openings/test-driver-(maricopa,-az).aspx

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
VW actually has a "secret" proving grounds out here in Maricopa AZ, southeast of Phoenix. I only learned of it recently and it was almost right under my nose when I used to live in the area. Definitely appropriate for hot weather testing, and also out in the middle of nowhere where nobody will bother them. Full giant track, skid pad, and other test areas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcaB42-V6VU

Want a job?

http://ketteng.com/careers/job-openings/test-driver-(maricopa,-az).aspx
Nice find.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Luchos

Go Kart Champion
Not sure how many of you guys are on VWvortex these days, but I dont want to sound redundant so i'll copy and post.

For anyone interested, i dropped off my car out of state at a well known shop over the weekend. They are making a small/drag brake kit for the MK7. They are going to drop close to 70-80lbs of weight at all 4 corners(around 53lbs will be rotational weight alone). I am not sure exactly how much the Golf R calipers weigh so I'm throwing a conservative number out there for now. These will allow you to run most 15" wheels to drop an additional few pounds of rotational weight per corner over the 17s that the stock brakes allow for. First production run will be limited to around 100 pieces, but if there is more interest they will have the tooling available to make another run. These will most likely fit other MQB cars. I will start a separate thread and reveal more details soon. Look for me on instagram @UM_Flex_R for the name of the shop in a few days.

Going back to the original post, if you want a clean looking lightweight battery. This place is exactly the shop you want to go to. I mentioned the battery kit to them today, I can look further into it if there is interest out there.