GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is the GTI Sporty Enough for me?

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Get a TT RS?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
How do you like the looks of the GTI? I'm not saying its not a good looker because it is, just curious about your thoughts?

I think the MKV GTI''s rounded lines were better looking than the MK7's. What I like about my car is, that it's not sporty looking. I had my share of so-called sporty cars; the 'Vette, a Trans Am, a Z28, and others. I learned you want plain vanilla if you want to keep your license :) And I didn't buy for looks. The MK7 could look like a Pontiac Aztec and I'd still buy it. You can't put lipstick on a pig.

Last edited:

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Lol... you're asking this question in a forum where most are GTI owners.[emoji23]

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

dale55

I think the MKV GTI''s rounded lines were better looking than the MK7's. What I like about my car is, that it's not sporty looking. I had my share of so-called sporty cars; the 'Vette, a Trans Am, a Z28, and others. I learned you want plain vanilla if you want to keep your license :) And I didn't buy for looks. The MK7 could look like a Pontiac Aztec and I'd still buy it. You can't put lipstick on a pig.

You make an interesting case. I have lived long enough to have a variety of cars and have enjoyed each one of them for their own attributes. Have you done anything to your GTI as far as body modifications at all?

dale55

This. If I didn't need a four door I'd be saving for it to be my next daily

As for the gti sporty or not I'd say that's a big no in stock form. If you're willing to mod it can look and be much more aggressive.

What would you suggest for tasteful body mods?

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
I don't think it looks all that sporty out of the box. The PP brakes are a nice touch but with a slight drop, wheels, tint, exhaust, gloss black roof, and clubsport stripes....sure, it looks sporty for a performance econo hatchback.

That's one of the tradeoffs with all these hot hatches. Unlike a TT, their base form is not a sports car or even performance car. Their base is a golf or focus or impreza aka bare bones boring econoboxes. The GTI/R, focus ST/RS, civic SI/R, WRX/STI, etc are just that. How it looks depends on what you're comparing it to.

No one will mistake a modded GTI for a 911 but will sure notice there's something special about it vs a regular boring DD. The RS does the best job of showing this in stock form unlike the R which looks very similar to a GTI or regular golf.

Oh, I think color makes a huge difference too. Tornado red and lapiz blue make these look much sportier imo

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Some background. Currently have a tastefully modified 2005 Audi TT 3.2. Love the car, the power, the build quality, the handling now, and the looks!

I do the mechanic work on mates cars....mate had a mk4 R32 & now an S3 with the same engine..ok the newer version...

comparing a AWD 3.2lt V6 car to a 2WD 2lt straight inline 4 pot...

Really????

Yes the MK7 Golf GTI will run rings around the TT in handling (stock to stock, don't know your exact TT mods)....BUT it cannot compete with the engine, sound, AWD & unique looks of the TT...

The MK7 GTI will depreciate for a few years......your 2005 TT will have flattened out & actually increasing in value if in good condition...

Keep the TT & drive the GTI when SWMBO lets you...:cool:

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
We have 57 year old men needing someone else to tell them if this or that is “sporty” enough for them. Low T Brother. Lol...

dale55

We have 57 year old men needing someone else to tell them if this or that is “sporty” enough for them. Low T Brother. Lol...

Hmmm yep but I am old enough to welcome the input of others with perhaps more knowledge than mine to give me their insight! Its all good.....

RennWerks

Go Kart Newbie
GTIs and Rs = functional anonymity. And, as a 57-year-old, you may be old enough to remember Bimmer's late '60s-early '70s 2002/Tii. Looked a lot like the box it came in. Then, as now, a unique plus depending on your id.