GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is the GTI Sporty Enough for me?

dale55

Some background. Currently have a tastefully modified 2005 Audi TT 3.2. Love the car, the power, the build quality, the handling now, and the looks! Just bought my wife a 2015 GTI autobahn. Love the car in fact thinking about getting one for myself when I sell my TT. Problem is though I like the looks of the GTI I just dont know if it is sporty looking enough for me. I know its highly subjective but just wanted to get others thoughts/suggestions as I do really enjoy my wife's GTI and its still stock!

Thanks!

Dale

mesaboogie18

Ready to race!
Just look at your wife's GTI in the driveway and think to yourself "Is this sporty enough for me?" If you say yes, then get one. If you say no, then don't.

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
GTI's and R's aren't meant to look sporty. It's almost invisible to the average driver. They just see it as a generic hatchback. Enthusiasts will recognize it if they know what GTI's are. These cars make fantastic sleepers.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Personally i would not prefer similar cars sitting in my driveway.

Last edited:

dale55

How about the R then?
Remember how the GTI looks depends on you.
Leave it stock, looks like wife's car.
How it ends up looking and driving depends on you.
Why get rid of TT?
How about new TT? RS?

Good suggestions. I have thought very seriously about the Audi TTS but I could get a near new loaded GTI and chip it for about the same price if not cheaper than a 2012 TTS.

Exploring all my options because I really do like the GTI seems to grow on me each time the wife lets me drive it!:eek:

AERO

Go Kart Newbie
I think not. The golf is a cult followed car. As was said above, it's invisible to most drivers... and the police. I like that. It works well for me and I absolutely adore my GTI. It's not a car that gets any attention from the vast majority of folks.

Why not buy a newer TT? I like the new ones. Get one with the 2.0T and a DSG, throw an APR tune at it. It'll blow the doors off your old one

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I'm too young for a vette. I'm only 57;)

I had one when I was 25. Some of the old codgers in my "old age home" who think they're Speed Racer have them, but they drive them like pussies. I'd run rings around every one of the old farts.

dale55

I had one when I was 25. Some of the old codgers in my "old age home" who think they're Speed Racer have them, but they drive them like pussies. I'd run rings around every one of the old farts.

How do you like the looks of the GTI? I'm not saying its not a good looker because it is, just curious about your thoughts?

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
If you had asked is it sporty enough for me I would say yes but you added "looking" It is a decent looking box but I wouldn't call it sporty looking.
Function > Form

I gave up a gorgeous looking Mustang for my GTI and the more I drive the GTI the more I like it. I do miss the jelous eyeballs I would get driving my Stang but I made the right choice.

Last edited:

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
This is like asking "is my girlfriend hot enough for me?" Something/someone either gives you the tingles, or not, and that's all down to personal preference.