GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VTT Cast Stage 2 turbocharger breaks 500WHP!

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
I don't see why this set up can't hit 450whp on 93. Revo is38etr is just a hybrid and they claim it can hit 450. I've seen ppl hit close to 400whp with stock is38 and custom tuning.

Tony I am really excited to follow this build and can't wait to get delivery of the stage 2 VVT!

Keep up the good work!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

No chance. I don't think you understand the difference between 93 and E85 in terms of knock resistance and cylinder cooling properties when fully dialed in.

Arbitrary numbers anyways. Trap speed is all that matters. I'm sure they will go mid 130's this weekend.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Ok since you will be running at at 35PSI and the dyno was at 33PSI you are using the updated map sensor. Will you be offering this as a side purchase or included in the price of the turbo?

jiannu

Ready to race!
Ok since you will be running at at 35PSI and the dyno was at 33PSI you are using the updated map sensor. Will you be offering this as a side purchase or included in the price of the turbo?
+1 . Can we get more details on the 4 bar sensor as well....thx

jiannu

Ready to race!
No chance. I don't think you understand the difference between 93 and E85 in terms of knock resistance and cylinder cooling properties when fully dialed in.

Arbitrary numbers anyways. Trap speed is all that matters. I'm sure they will go mid 130's this weekend.
Your right.....I don't undsrstand....E85 is like a unicorn to me. I just want something reliable and fast with some good #'s on my S3. If i can get 450whp and 430wtq....[emoji106]

Vargasturbotech

Ready to race!
+1. Can we get more details on the 4 bar sensor as well....thx

UM just started using them, and we bought a set to try, they tuned for them. What will happen is if you decide to have UM tune your VTT Stage 2 turbo. It will be an option to add 4 bar map sensors, flex fuel, etc. That is all on the tuning side. If you choose the UM tune package with the unit, it will include a base tune, and you can add on from that point working with them. Hope that clears things up!

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
No it won't.

The limit isn't stock fueling when using pump gas on a turbo this size. It is definitely knock limited. That isn't a slight on this turbo, it's just a fact.

You need ethanol to hit those numbers.

Really good 1/8th trap speed, seriously. I am going to guess 132mph once you get that issue sorted.

Didn't Revo and APR get 450WHP on pump with their turbo upgrades?

Edit: Nevermind, I just looked it up. APR made 438WHP on their 3+ kit. Revo made 445BHP on their kit.

This kit is looking better ever day. Keep up the good work.

Last edited:

jiannu

Ready to race!
Didn't Revo and APR get 450WHP on pump with their turbo upgrades?

Edit: Nevermind, I just looked it up. APR made 438WHP on their 3+ kit. Revo made 445BHP on their kit.
Actually APR got 482whp on 93 and 470whp on 91

jiannu

Ready to race!

USA

Ready to race!
Is the 2+ turbo ball bearings? And when is it going to be released? Reason for asking is I am pulling the APR Borg Warner turbo to add an electronic waste gate and figuring why not buy this turbo that already comes ready for electronic waste gate. I would need a different down pipe also.

Vargasturbotech

Ready to race!
Is the 2+ turbo ball bearings? And when is it going to be released? Reason for asking is I am pulling the APR Borg Warner turbo to add an electronic waste gate and figuring why not buy this turbo that already comes ready for electronic waste gate. I would need a different down pipe also.
It is not ball bearing, it is Journal bearing, and it will be released sometime in Q1 2018, we do not have an exact date yet. Thanks!
VTT

henraldp

@Vargasturbotech, I'm nearly convinced that JB4+downpipe+this turbo is a good option for the 350/350 power level, possibly reducing wheelspin (from the torque spike of OEM baby turbos), and holding boost and power to redline.

Referring to the 350/350 power level:

1. All testing mentioned in this thread is the stage 2 turbo, not the stage 2+, correct?
  2. In this log you posted, do you know why boost pressure hits 22psi initially but needs another 800rpm to gradually increase to 25psi, the target? Is this a stock ECU thing, JB4 thing, or wastegate/regulation thing?
  3. IDC - In the same log, why would injector duty cycle spike from 61 to 78 then reduce back down? The AFR remains consistent, and it doesn't correlate with the engine output (max torque is at 3,500rpm but this IDC spike is around 4,500rpm).
  4. AFR - In my personal logs using an is20+JB4, I see ~13.1:1 AFR @ 4,000rpm reducing gradually to ~12.0:1 @5,500pm. In your log, it looks like ~13.0:1 leaning to 13.8:1 at those same RPMs. Was this done intentionally for power? I assume since duty cycle isn't maxed, it's not a hardware problem.
  5. Trims - These don't rise to increase fueling at high RPM. Intentional while tuning?
  6. If IDC only hits 78%, what is the main reason this power level is your recommendable maximum for stock fueling, including in-tank pump?
  7. If not aiming for 500whp, did you like the car at 350/350 as a long term solution on 91oct with just downpipe, JB4, and this unit? Any concerns?
Good luck with upcoming track times. Do you have an email alert through the website for when the introductory price is available?

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
@Vargasturbotech, I'm nearly convinced that JB4+downpipe+this turbo is a good option for the 350/350 power level, possibly reducing wheelspin (from the torque spike of OEM baby turbos), and holding boost and power to redline.

Referring to the 350/350 power level:

1. All testing mentioned in this thread is the stage 2 turbo, not the stage 2+, correct?
  2. In this log you posted, do you know why boost pressure hits 22psi initially but needs another 800rpm to gradually increase to 25psi, the target? Is this a stock ECU thing, JB4 thing, or wastegate/regulation thing?
  3. IDC - In the same log, why would injector duty cycle spike from 61 to 78 then reduce back down? The AFR remains consistent, and it doesn't correlate with the engine output (max torque is at 3,500rpm but this IDC spike is around 4,500rpm).
  4. AFR - In my personal logs using an is20+JB4, I see ~13.1:1 AFR @ 4,000rpm reducing gradually to ~12.0:1 @5,500pm. In your log, it looks like ~13.0:1 leaning to 13.8:1 at those same RPMs. Was this done intentionally for power? I assume since duty cycle isn't maxed, it's not a hardware problem.
  5. Trims - These don't rise to increase fueling at high RPM. Intentional while tuning?
  6. If IDC only hits 78%, what is the main reason this power level is your recommendable maximum for stock fueling, including in-tank pump?
  7. If not aiming for 500whp, did you like the car at 350/350 as a long term solution on 91oct with just downpipe, JB4, and this unit? Any concerns?
Good luck with upcoming track times. Do you have an email alert through the website for when the introductory price is available?

I remember VTT saying it felt laggy on the JB4 compared to the UM tune. Some of this is probably from a tuned throttle map and not necessarily the ECU interacting with the turbo, but relative lag was reported to be higher regardless. They just put a flat 25 PSI absolute value in for every RPM which is pretty weird, it's not tweaked at all. That led to a timing retard across three cylinders at once.

https://datazap.me/u/vargasturbotec...acn91?log=0&data=1-25-26-27&solo=9&zoom=24-59

I don't think we have a good idea of how a properly tweaked Map6 JB4+VTT turbo would look.

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
I was totally messing with you man, BASED on your avatar...:) I was told, they have reliably pushed 500WTQ on a stock motor, with soft onset, and not spikes. I made the choice to leave it at 450WTQ flat. Jeff spent about 4 hours on a Saturday morning, and Fred was emailing me back and forth from a wedding, to make sure it was NOT spiking on the shift. This is where you break things. You shift, and boost spikes, bringing in a TQ spike. They wanted to keep these under control.

Nice! You guys are rocking it! VTT is definitely something I may be looking into further.

Vargasturbotech

Ready to race!
I remember VTT saying it felt laggy on the JB4 compared to the UM tune. Some of this is probably from a tuned throttle map and not necessarily the ECU interacting with the turbo, but relative lag was reported to be higher regardless. They just put a flat 25 PSI absolute value in for every RPM which is pretty weird, it's not tweaked at all. That led to a timing retard across three cylinders at once.

https://datazap.me/u/vargasturbotec...acn91?log=0&data=1-25-26-27&solo=9&zoom=24-59

I don't think we have a good idea of how a properly tweaked Map6 JB4+VTT turbo would look.
LOL at flat boost request causing timing retard...:) You should let Terry, or George know to remove the flat boost button, as its going to cause timing pulls...;)