GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Michelin Pilot Super Sport VS Pilot Sport 4S

COSturmWolke

Ready to race!
Really? Where did you get this info? I just read the PS4S warranty booklet and unless I missed it, I found no such statement. We get can get a couple days below 20 degrees here in the desert but our coldest nights are between 25-35, which hasn’t been a problem with max performance Summer tires on my other cars.

I looked on the Michelin site and couldn’t find this same statement, which is strange, I agree. It’s stated on the tirerack site at the bottom of the pilot 4s description.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+4S

ssaylor

Passed Driver's Ed
I looked on the Michelin site and couldn’t find this same statement, which is strange, I agree. It’s stated on the tirerack site at the bottom of the pilot 4s description.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+4S

So, if it only gets to 21, you can drive them off without a warmup. Hmm, I’m sure there are a lot of these running between 20 & 40 degrees, possibly damaging the compound. This is sure glossed over in Michelin’s marketing.
Very interesting! Thanks for that, good find.

“Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Max Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced.”

drshark

Ready to race!
Guess I'm too late on this one...

But according to the wife-o-meter: the PS4S are a gigantic improvement over OEM in terms of how softly the car rides. That is, road imperfections coming through the seat. (I agree, by the way.) I guess you could chalk it up to tire compliance?

Shawn

DonTuan

Passed Driver's Ed

But according to the wife-o-meter: the PS4S are a gigantic improvement over OEM in terms of how softly the car rides. That is, road imperfections coming through the seat. (I agree, by the way.) I guess you could chalk it up to tire compliance?

Shawn

I'd have to agree too. I went from stock 18's (wheels/tires) to 19's with PS4S and the ride is definitely smoother soaking up road imperfections.

Sir_Mk7r

Ready to race!
I got the ps4s the other day due to a nail in the sidewall causing me to have to replace all 4. I always thought the conti's were great until I put the Michelins on.

First thing and most important is road noise. the Michelins are so much quieter on the highway. I do a lot of driving going 70+ mph and the conti's made a lot of noise that I though was just worn roads, but now with the Michelins I can hardly tell.

Second, these tires did track a little for me when I first put them on. after they "broke in" for lack of better words, they don't do this near as badly. I can't even tell now.

I haven't tracked these tires so I am not sure as far as grip for sure, but they feel like they have better traction, but I only broke traction on my conti's a handful of times. So this is hard to measure.

I went with the 245/35/19 option because that was all I could get ahold of and I really like the fitment of these tires. It decreases the wheel gap a little more and gives a more flush look on the wheel to the fender. I give lots of points for style on these.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)

Shawn

LOL. We see who runs that household!

njswider

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
Definitely getting these once the Conti’s wear out. Treadwear is high on my list since I drive 30k a year. Conti’s won’t last much longer....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drshark

Ready to race!

KO7

Ready to race!
Those who have had both PSS and PS4S: Do the PS4S run as wide as the PSS? Planning out my summer fitment and guessing I’ll need the fender screw mod if I go 245/35/19 on 19x8.5, et47, lowered on MSSKits Street with stock camber.

drshark

Ready to race!
Those who have had both PSS and PS4S: Do the PS4S run as wide as the PSS? Planning out my summer fitment and guessing I’ll need the fender screw mod if I go 245/35/19 on 19x8.5, et47, lowered on MSSKits Street with stock camber.

I have 245/35/19 on 19x8.5, et45, but not lowered. So, the 2mm and lowering somewhat compensate? Yes, the screw definitely had to come out; you should just assume you must remove it. There's some minor potential for worse rubbing problems, but I suspect not (just a guess)...

I'm going to be looking for tires come summer, and the PS4S are at the top of my list.

Any thoughts on how they compare to any of the road/track tires?

KO7

Ready to race!
I have 245/35/19 on 19x8.5, et45, but not lowered. So, the 2mm and lowering somewhat compensate? Yes, the screw definitely had to come out; you should just assume you must remove it. There's some minor potential for worse rubbing problems, but I suspect not (just a guess)...

Thanks, will definitely do the fender screw mod then. Should be okay after that, mine’s only lowered 0.75”.