GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Boost tap options

Car(s)
MK VII 7R
looking at the different options on ECS Basicly there are two different types

One that punches a hole into the manifold, and the other one being a throttle body attachment?

APART from the throttle body being reversible, what is the pros & cons between both?

I'll be running EVO series boots gague and osir vent pod.

TIA

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
looking at the different options on ECS Basicly there are two different types

One that punches a hole into the manifold, and the other one being a throttle body attachment?

APART from the throttle body being reversible, what is the pros & cons between both?

I'll be running EVO series boots gague and osir vent pod.

TIA

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but there shouldn't be any benefit over using either as far as performance is concerned. They're just supplying vacuum/pressure. Doubtful there's any sort of lag or improper readings by using either one. Personally I'd use the intake manifold method as many others have.

Hope this helps.

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
Biggest benefit of the manifold puncture style is ease of installation. They are however as you mentioned irreversible. FWIW I have the ECS puncture one and it was super easy to install and works very well. I originally looked up their throttle body spacer one for the reversibility feature and after reading the install instructions said "Hell no!", basically it requires removing the entire intake manifold.

Last edited:

rr1santos

Ready to race!
ecs boost pucture tap..

Last edited:

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
I used the apr boost tap, puncture style, with zero issues. You’re right it isn’t easily completely reversible, but honestly who doesn’t want a boost gauge that vw should have put there new originally. Also they’re cheap enough that it really shouldn’t break the bank not being able to take off and resell come trade-in time imo

Car(s)
MK VII 7R
Didn't look into the the throttle body type but tap, but damn, F That puncture style for me please, I found the torque solutions has the cheapest of them all..

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
FWIW, I had some incorrect gauge readings, as well as some under-boosting with the MAP sensor tap. Manifold tap is the way to go. Up to you if you want an analog or a digital gauge.

B95zP

Ready to race!
It's been proven that boost taps which sit under the MAP are not good. The aluminum construction causes heat build up, which results in the ECU thinking temps are higher.

Last edited:

xheartcoreboyx1

APR boost tap. Don't waste your time with lesser quality stuff.

mursepaolo

Ready to race!
I don't see why anyone would go through the painful manifold process when you can tap it APR style in like 5 min

I want a boost gauge, but also don't want to do anything irreversible.