GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fully Forged Internals

USA

Ready to race!
I have been reading and researching this group. But cannot find a straight answer. Is out stock (2017 Golf R) fully forged? I saw a member of another group state that it is.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
From what I remember (right or wrong), the crank is forged, the pistons are cast, and the rods are forged but not as strong as aftermarket ones.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
Yes most cars are. Would be nice if the rods and pistons were. If not I need to add this to my list.

Are you aiming for over 450 WHP?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USA

Ready to race!
From what I remember (right or wrong), the crank is forged, the pistons are cast, and the rods are forged but not as strong as aftermarket ones.
Thank you.

Are you aiming for over 450 WHP?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes. I am looking at a CTS kit. Not sure where the $$ and power will end up. But I want the best kit and do this 1 time. So the limit is 450 WHP?

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
Thank you.

Yes. I am looking at a CTS kit. Not sure where the $$ and power will end up. But I want the best kit and do this 1 time. So the limit is 450 WHP?

no not at all, I just don't think you'll even need to build the motor for that power level on the R. But if you have the means why not. Heck shoot for 600.

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Pistons appear to be the weak point in the bottom end. Generally when an engine goes (outside of a turbo problem), it generally shows up as piston related (hole in the piston most common).

Note: When I say common, I mean in terms of destroyed tuned cars making heaps of power. (That is a tiny population).

Sir_Mk7r

Ready to race!
From what I have gathered it is tq that is killer for our R's. seems that the magic number is 420 ftlbs. Anything close to or over this number needs to be replaced with aftermarket rods and all. Also, look into fueling. Spark knock will tear up your piston heads.

USA

Ready to race!
Pistons appear to be the weak point in the bottom end. Generally when an engine goes (outside of a turbo problem), it generally shows up as piston related (hole in the piston most common).

Note: When I say common, I mean in terms of destroyed tuned cars making heaps of power. (That is a tiny population).
Thanks for the heads up.

From what I have gathered it is tq that is killer for our R's. seems that the magic number is 420 ftlbs. Anything close to or over this number needs to be replaced with aftermarket rods and all. Also, look into fueling. Spark knock will tear up your piston heads.
Am wondering where a Stage 2 from APR would put me on 93 octane.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
its really the stage 3+ that requires internals. Stage 2 should be safe for stock

He wants a Stage 3+ kit it sounds like. 500+ WHP

Fueling is a good point. Ethanol kills pistons (and rods sometimes).
Ethanol burns with a much sharper pressure peak compared to gasoline.

Remember more power makes increased temperatures. Higher temperatures
at the same time mean a loss of strength of the piston's alloy.

;)