GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 with discount vs 2018 with updated warranty

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Think I have S confused with Sport. I think the sweet spot for me would be the SE, but might as well just go all out and get the R

I could not justify the price different between GTI and R myself when i was contemplating in 2016. Even though i live in the Midwest, a set of dedicated winters should be good enough with my GTI. Also think about the difference in price of mod parts between GTI and R! [emoji3]

pieguy

Ready to race!
are you really going to keep your warranty tho? lmao

The warranty is bumper to bumper no? That means minus the drive train, having everything under warranty is pretty huge. Anything electrical going haywire could cost a fortune to troubleshoot and fix.

JBAE

Thank you all for the reply, I actually test drove a S model and wow, what a fun car!!! Even though on paper it seems to be close to what my current car can do, it feels so much faster with the torque applied so low into the RPM range and weight savings. Either way, I was hooked after the drive, during turns you can feel the car literally claw at the ground for traction, very scrappy, yet engaging. Just got a casual talk about pricing and with 0% down the dealership still wanted 29K for a sport and save maybe $2K for a higher interest rate. Either way, at the end of the term I would have practically paid sticker value. Trying to figure out how these dealers down in DC and Virginia price at $20K, is that just a straight up price for anyone before additional rebates and incentives or is it just to get you walk-in and then they check to see what you "qualify" for in rebates/incentives? Also having a tough time figuring out Sport vs SE, the shade cover on SE looks flimsy and I'd be concerned about leaks or issues with sunroofs that some others have posted, unless I'm just hearing all the bad stories since I'm on a forum and most ppl are actually happy with the quality of their sunroof.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
$29k? That dealer is absolutely on crack, no matter where they are located.

I'd wait for an '18, but if you want to shop available '17's, I'd suggest using cars.com and searching within the mileage range you're willing to travel. For any cars you find desirable, email the dealership and ask for an itemized quote - critical that they itemize so that you see exactly how they get to the bottom line, and ensure that all taxes/fees are included. Once you have quotes that are worth following up on, only then pick up the phone and call.

The sunroof on the current cars has been very problematic - way too many reports of issues both here and at VWvortex. VW changed suppliers from Wabasto to some company I've never heard of during the Mk7 run. I suspect the "other" supplier is the one with the issues. I like sunroofs but I'm perfectly fine with my R not having one, nor one even being available on the R.

Good luck!

slow12s

Ready to race!
Thank you all for the reply, I actually test drove a S model and wow, what a fun car!!! Even though on paper it seems to be close to what my current car can do, it feels so much faster with the torque applied so low into the RPM range and weight savings. Either way, I was hooked after the drive, during turns you can feel the car literally claw at the ground for traction, very scrappy, yet engaging. Just got a casual talk about pricing and with 0% down the dealership still wanted 29K for a sport and save maybe $2K for a higher interest rate. Either way, at the end of the term I would have practically paid sticker value. Trying to figure out how these dealers down in DC and Virginia price at $20K, is that just a straight up price for anyone before additional rebates and incentives or is it just to get you walk-in and then they check to see what you "qualify" for in rebates/incentives? Also having a tough time figuring out Sport vs SE, the shade cover on SE looks flimsy and I'd be concerned about leaks or issues with sunroofs that some others have posted, unless I'm just hearing all the bad stories since I'm on a forum and most ppl are actually happy with the quality of their sunroof.

I just went to lunch with a buddy that ended up trading in his TDI for a GTI S model...he got quotes from some east coast (I believe maryland dealers) for $19k all said and done...he couldn't match that locally in Phoenix and ended up paying a little bit more than what the car would have cost + shipping costs from the east coast (so I believe around 22k out the door)...this was almost a year ago on a 2017 model so I'd say you can do better, especially once the 2018's really start hitting the lots

When I got a price quote from a dealership in Virginia, it was a no BS quote...I don't live there, I told them it would be a deal done online/over the phone so they gave me a price with the incentives I qualified for. Many of the east coast dealers from what I've heard give these prices with a slightly higher finance rate (so maybe like 3.9 instead of 1.9 or 2.9%), but I just emailed them and asked for a breakdown so it was no bs

some people do have problems with the sunroof leaking, I have not had that issue so not sure if it was fixed in newer years

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Trying to figure out how these dealers down in DC and Virginia price at $20K, is that just a straight up price for anyone before additional rebates and incentives or is it just to get you walk-in and then they check to see what you "qualify" for in rebates/incentives?

Thats for S trim and there are several add ons to the price listed by those dealers:
VW destination fee $820
Dealer documentation $300 - $700 based on the dealer

Even with the above mentioned charges, they are cheaper than dealers from other part of the country.

tlh5204

From what I understand there are two options to go with: Dealership or VW. I purchased a new 2017 Sport around the end of September and I took the dealership deal at $23,795 (not including tax, doc, and etc.).

The incentive for the dealership option is the discount from VW plus additional rebate/discounts from the dealer but you would have to either supply a loan or consider their finance options.

The incentive for VW is 0% APR, no down payment, and VW rebates but it will be base off the MSRP and you would need to qualify.

illuminator82

Passed Driver's Ed
Here is CA, I paid $22k for a GTI S DSG.
All Total 24K out the door, that was back in February.
If you can get close to that deal today one is being taken to the cleaners!

MK7 AP2

Go Kart Newbie
Two members from California posted similar numbers in that thread. If its possible in Cali, it can be done anywhere else [emoji6]

Well, took the first step of getting actual quotes, one from a dealer in Tucson and one in Phoenix. Both were right around $28k OTD for a GTI Sport DSG. TTL is high ($2,500+) here but this isn't anywhere close to my goal of $25k OTD.

2018 is looking better and better, just wish they would get here already.

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
2018 gti is the leader so far in my next car search. Thought maybe wrx but reviews are mixed and everyone is waiting for the redesigned 2020 wrx on the new subaru global platform with updated engine etc. Honda SI is too low hp and looks fairly ugly, has reliability on its side though and would be getting at beginning of cycle so wouldn't be outdated as fast. Let me know any other idea's for cars? Like I said gti is the leader so far but my only problems are it can be a little boring on looks and we are pretty close to the end of the cycle. In two years we will have a new style, will even see the new style next year for Europe meaning my car wouldn't be as desired

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
Well, took the first step of getting actual quotes, one from a dealer in Tucson and one in Phoenix. Both were right around $28k OTD for a GTI Sport DSG. TTL is high ($2,500+) here but this isn't anywhere close to my goal of $25k OTD.

Have you tried using TrueCar or something similar? They'll connect you to their dealer network, and you can see each one's prices. I checked Tucson, AZ, and it looks like the average TrueCar dealer price is 25.5k. If a dealer is currently offering that price on TrueCar, use that as a starting point to negotiate with other dealers to see if they're willing to beat that price. If it goes in your favor, you might be able to negotiate it down such that your OTD is around 25k.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold

Unfortunately, i did not find much contribution from your area in this thread. http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8082&page=76. VW dealers in certain part of the country offers great deals. Maybe you need to expand your search radius. I drove 9 hours to get a good deal.

c31561

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Have you tried using TrueCar or something similar? They'll connect you to their dealer network, and you can see each one's prices. I checked Tucson, AZ, and it looks like the average TrueCar dealer price is 25.5k. If a dealer is currently offering that price on TrueCar, use that as a starting point to negotiate with other dealers to see if they're willing to beat that price. If it goes in your favor, you might be able to negotiate it down such that your OTD is around 25k.

Definitely be willing to travel to get a good deal, but also include that travel cost in your overall total. Remember, you typically only buy a car once every few years, get the best deal you can.

Truecar is a decent starting point, in my area Truecar for a Sport manual was around $23.5K and I bought for $22.7K, which included a 6/60 warranty. Dealer in some areas are trying to unload the 2017's and are willing to negotiate. If it is not to far, see if you can make it to one of those areas.