GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thinking of getting a second car..

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
I have been looking at used Audi's. A3/A4 pretty much. I'd probably want the S model if I could afford it... mainly want something AWD for snow and just to have a second car again now that I'm selling my van and flipping a motorcycle. So my rationale is I don't want a car just like the Golf, but don't want a true beater like a Corolla or something. I have to love driving it. I'm kind of thinking 10k max price and have seen a lot in this range, but I'm just daydreaming. What are the good years to look for, problems etc.?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Noooooo

Any Golf is a daily driver. Miles aren't gonna hurt it, it's not rare. Just drive it.

Reasons outside of that: double taxes, plates, insurance, maintenance. The cons very greatly out weigh the pros. This is coming from me, who's never ever owned just one vehicle. I've always had a need for multiple cars/trucks do to work and hobbies. If there's no need I'd highly suggest NOT having two cars.

Unless the Golf stays as a daily and you're gonna build something crazy unpractical or take on a big project.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
Noooooo

Any Golf is a daily driver. Miles aren't gonna hurt it, it's not rare. Just drive it.

Reasons outside of that: double taxes, plates, insurance, maintenance. The cons very greatly out weigh the pros. This is coming from me, who's never ever owned just one vehicle. I've always had a need for multiple cars/trucks do to work and hobbies. If there's no need I'd highly suggest NOT having two cars.

Unless the Golf stays as a daily and you're gonna build something crazy unpractical or take on a big project.

None of that would change because I'm swapping one car for another. The Golf would remain a daily driver, lol. It would be great to have a second car for my investigations. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeAu-C7dzNI

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I understand that but you had a van for hauling race bikes.

What's the point of two daily drivers?

I at one point (in 2011) owned the following at the same time: 1993 Dodge Cummins, 2011 GTI, 1985 Jetta diesel, 1995 Jetta, 2006 CBR600RR, 2003 Yamaha Wolverine, 1996 Yamaha Exciter (220hp jet boat).

My insurance cost was insane along with all of the other expenses as you could imagine. Plus having $55,000+ wrapped up in vehicles. Wasn't the best idea. I've since grown up a bit and now own my second house, that's 1/3 of the way paid off and two years old. Looking back had I not spent so much on a vehicles my current home would be paid off, or close to it. From an adults point of view owning 2 daily drivers is a waste.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
I understand that but you had a van for hauling race bikes.

What's the point of two daily drivers?

I at one point (in 2011) owned the following at the same time: 1993 Dodge Cummins, 2011 GTI, 1985 Jetta diesel, 1995 Jetta, 2006 CBR600RR, 2003 Yamaha Wolverine, 1996 Yamaha Exciter (220hp jet boat).

My insurance cost was insane along with all of the other expenses as you could imagine. Plus having $55,000+ wrapped up in vehicles. Wasn't the best idea. I've since grown up a bit and now own my second house, that's 1/3 of the way paid off and two years old. Looking back had I not spent so much on a vehicles my current home would be paid off, or close to it. From an adults point of view owning 2 daily drivers is a waste.

I figure the savings of hauling a folding trailer with the golf ($$$ in gasoline) vs maintaining and driving the van plus sale of the van puts a big chunk towards another car. That way I don’t have to fight to borrow my GF’s Elantra if I burn a case in my golf. That’s pretty much the reason I left it bone stock for a year. I love it too much now to care though. Hah yeah looking back I wish I never got my 944 repainted and put that towards a CC :p

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I'd buy something cheap, cash in that case. Mk3, 4, 5. Work car doesn't need to be nicer than the golf. That's why I had my mk3 and mk2 at that time. I worked in Philly 400 miles from my home in Ohio. I could leave a beater at each airport and fly back and forth. Gti and Cummins stayed in the garage until my weekend

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
The trick is how do I get a cheap one that isn’t a POS? I really am not that knowledgeable with VW. I’m sure the van sale could get me a decent beater golf like you said. But idk where to look... I’ve seen a few around and they seemed like beat up.

Also I’ve usually had two cars in the past at once or a car and a truck. Just having the Golf makes me a little nervous because you never know if a mechanical failure takes you out for a few days or week etc

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Yeah I hear you, I still have three cars between my wife and I but we use all three. Well kinda, her POS Kia sits most of the time ha I can't wait for the lease to be up.

Anyway being in Cali rust shouldn't be an issue but key spots to check are: strut towers, rocker panels right behind the front tires, and the floor near the subframe.

First off no automatics. The DSG is great, but Volkswagen couldn't build a slush box automatic to save their life. Since that's all they had till the Mk5 gti count all autos out.

Next is maintenance. If the seller doesn't have printed records proving the timing belt & waterpump has been changed in the last 80,000 miles or five years it needs changed asap. This is true for them all other than VR6, which have chains instead. This is a very important bargaining chip for both price and gives you an idea if the PO had a clue about taking care of the car. Other red flags are green coolant (proper VW G11 or G12 is pink), oil leaks, mods, shitty clutch or shifter slop on pre 2000 cars (2000 and up the slop is an easy fix).

Just drive the car ten mins or so and make sure it seems tight and doesn't have mechanical noises or anything that would make you question its reliability. If it's low on oil or the oil is black walk away. Pretty basic stuff but be defensive and check things out the best you can. I've bought and sold lots of cars, the best ones come from an owner who's had it a long time and knows the maintenance history. It's a bad sign if they "only owned it a few weeks".

Anyway post some cars you find here I'll check out what I can from the ad. It doesn't have to be new to be a good car

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
2004-2006 hatchback wrx is what I would go with for a second/Tahoe car. Or maybe just an impreza if you are focusing on the golf as your performance car. They aren't very expensive and as long as you don't get 2003 or earlier you can avoid the head gasket issue. Like said above with VW, Subaru automatics also suck so you would need to make sure to get a manual.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
2004-2006 hatchback wrx is what I would go with for a second/Tahoe car. Or maybe just an impreza if you are focusing on the golf as your performance car. They aren't very expensive and as long as you don't get 2003 or earlier you can avoid the head gasket issue. Like said above with VW, Subaru automatics also suck so you would need to make sure to get a manual.

Won’t buy a Japanese car, lol. My family is German, you’re asking for excommunication

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
Yeah I hear you, I still have three cars between my wife and I but we use all three. Well kinda, her POS Kia sits most of the time ha I can't wait for the lease to be up.

Anyway being in Cali rust shouldn't be an issue but key spots to check are: strut towers, rocker panels right behind the front tires, and the floor near the subframe.

First off no automatics. The DSG is great, but Volkswagen couldn't build a slush box automatic to save their life. Since that's all they had till the Mk5 gti count all autos out.

Next is maintenance. If the seller doesn't have printed records proving the timing belt & waterpump has been changed in the last 80,000 miles or five years it needs changed asap. This is true for them all other than VR6, which have chains instead. This is a very important bargaining chip for both price and gives you an idea if the PO had a clue about taking care of the car. Other red flags are green coolant (proper VW G11 or G12 is pink), oil leaks, mods, shitty clutch or shifter slop on pre 2000 cars (2000 and up the slop is an easy fix).

Just drive the car ten mins or so and make sure it seems tight and doesn't have mechanical noises or anything that would make you question its reliability. If it's low on oil or the oil is black walk away. Pretty basic stuff but be defensive and check things out the best you can. I've bought and sold lots of cars, the best ones come from an owner who's had it a long time and knows the maintenance history. It's a bad sign if they "only owned it a few weeks".

Anyway post some cars you find here I'll check out what I can from the ad. It doesn't have to be new to be a good car

Sweet. Yeah I’ve been trying to actually keep track of my maintenance records now for that reason if I need to sell haha. I haven’t bought a dud yet luckily ... worst car I got was a Saab 9-3 SE cab lol. GM electrical ...

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Won’t buy a Japanese car, lol. My family is German, you’re asking for excommunication

That's lame. Well in that case get a Saab 9-2x. They are wrx's disguised as Saab's so no one will ever know!

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
That's lame. Well in that case get a Saab 9-2x. They are wrx's disguised as Saab's so no one will ever know!

The GM Saab’s suck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Yea, but the only Saab parts are some of the body panels and interior trim.