GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best downpipe for CA use

pieguy

Ready to race!
Planning on eventually ending up FBO protuned, but want to keep my warranty for a while longer, so weighing my options which now seem best kept to JB4 plus downpipe.

As a California driver, what are most people getting away with downpipe wise since CARB makes our lives more difficult? Do you guys go catless w/ stage 2 and not worry about it at all (flash and reinstall stock dp before smog), shell out cash for an AWE or Neuspeed DP, or take the chance with another catted DP like Uni, CTS or APR w/ a 42DD spacer?

I'm more inclined to go towards the AWE or Neuspeed but they're so expensive versus other competitors. It seems like the APR DP w/ a 300 cell cat and a 42DD seems like the best alternative if you don't wanna spend $1100 shipped. Seems that a lot of people have trouble with the CTS and a spacer so probably not the best route. Any input is appreciated.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
If you want to stay legal either do none or do carb. And even then you might get hassled possibly. Since you don't need smog for 6 years on a new car I just kept my stock downpipe and will swap if needed. I doubt most inspectors will even know what to look for.

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
No downpipe is CARB certified for our vehicles. At least I've never heard of one. So in short, you can't run a downpipe in CA and still be legal on the road.

pieguy

Ready to race!
Yeah there is no such thing as a CARB complaint downpipe. The only benefit of the Neuspeed or the AWE is they guarantee no CEL. However, what's the point of a $1000 price point if another high performance DP with a 42DD can also guarantee no CEL?

That's why I'm asking in this thread what others are doing. It seems like most just swap to stock dp on smog. However, are SMOG shops doing sniffer tests still because it seems like most just do the OBD and visual check lately? I assume even the Neuspeed or AWE would fail a sniff test.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
Yeah there is no such thing as a CARB complaint downpipe. The only benefit of the Neuspeed or the AWE is they guarantee no CEL. However, what's the point of a $1000 price point if another high performance DP with a 42DD can also guarantee no CEL?

That's why I'm asking in this thread what others are doing. It seems like most just swap to stock dp on smog. However, are SMOG shops doing sniffer tests still because it seems like most just do the OBD and visual check lately? I assume even the Neuspeed or AWE would fail a sniff test.

No, OBD2 vehicles past like 2003 or something only require the plug in test. And fully warmed up they might still pass tbh. My Boxster passed with way less than the minimum requirements. I didn't want to spend the money on a cat personally so I got the Becker DP for cheap like $280 shipped. CTS Turbo is the other inexpensive option I think. Is the 42DD spacer guaranteed? I might have to try that.

Edit: they say 80% chance. It seems very expensive for what it is

rr1santos

Ready to race!
they'll prolly pop a Hondas hood before popping a vws...and to be honest I don't think anyone has smogged their car yet...we have 6yrs to do first smog..lol

Hexxum001

Ready to race!

Just an FYI, Neuspeed no longer guarantees no CEL. Ask me how I know? :/

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
I'm sticking my my stock one due to laws. DP is a pain to remove so don't want to deal with putting it off/on

Switching it out is like a 30-45 minute job.. it's really not what I'd consider a pain but it is a bit of an inconvenience. Living in CA is in general an inconvenience, lol. Try to buy a rifle suppressor :p

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
they'll prolly pop a Hondas hood before popping a vws...and to be honest I don't think anyone has smogged their car yet...we have 6yrs to do first smog..lol

Yeah EXACTLY. Just talked about this with a local guy, the Honda and other typical riced out imports get looked at way harder than a generic looking Golf. When I got my Boxster smogged I went to this Asian dude nearby, he looked at the car for about 30 seconds and said "yeah looks good to me lolz" (paraphrased) and ran the sniffer test and passed it. A different shop wanted like $500 to smog it since it was mid engine. lol

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Take a stock downpipe and gut the cat closest to the turbo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
Take a stock downpipe and gut the cat closest to the turbo.

Don't do this. If you ever get referred and have to pass the sniffer test you'll be shelling out for a lot of money to get the replacement OEM pipe... keep the OEM pipe for a backup!!

pieguy

Ready to race!
Just an FYI, Neuspeed no longer guarantees no CEL. Ask me how I know? :/

Hey hexxum, how do you know Neuspeed no longer guarantees no CEL :rolleyes:?

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Don't do this. If you ever get referred and have to pass the sniffer test you'll be shelling out for a lot of money to get the replacement OEM pipe... keep the OEM pipe for a backup!!

I bought a second one for this reason. It looks stock to the ref which is better than an aftermarket one.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
I bought a second one for this reason. It looks stock to the ref which is better than an aftermarket one.

In that case carry on! You're still limited by pipe diameter though..