GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

best bbk for R that fits under 18's

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
What would be the best bang for your buck BBK for the R that fits under 18. I roasted my OEM pads and rotors at Blackhawk Farms this last weekend and i'm planning on doing road america soon and i dont think some track pads and rotors will last.

I've been looking at some of the OEM porsche or audi bbk conversions, the lower end tarox kits look decent as well. Looking for something under 2k if possible.

SRoads

Ready to race!
I would try a better pad before I throw $2k at a brake kit. Ferodo 2500s, Porterfield R-4, carbotech xp10. RS3 4 pots will fit with adapters on stock rotors.

teemmy

Ready to race!
I've used carbotech XP10s with the my golf R brakes and stock rotors and I've had no problems for multiple track days... You could try the TTRS brakes?

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
I've used carbotech XP10s with the my golf R brakes and stock rotors and I've had no problems for multiple track days... You could try the TTRS brakes?
Rotors dont look so hot after the track day on oem pads and rotors.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I would try a better pad before I throw $2k at a brake kit. Ferodo 2500s, Porterfield R-4, carbotech xp10. RS3 4 pots will fit with adapters on stock rotors.
this ^^

What would be the best bang for your buck BBK for the R that fits under 18. I roasted my OEM pads and rotors at Blackhawk Farms this last weekend and i'm planning on doing road america soon and i dont think some track pads and rotors will last.
'Best bang for the buck' is running proper pads along with a properly executed ventilation.

for tracking these are MUST DO mods:

- ventilation (removing shields + RS3 air guides or hoses)
- dedicated pads
- setting emergency brake assist to 'weak'
- ESC off and XDS to 'weak'

Rotors dont look so hot after the track day on oem pads and rotors.
The rotor looks the way it looks because you did run an inappropriate pad on it.

The above has been discussed to death. I'd recommend reading former threads. ;)

Crild

Drag Race Newbie

I cant find a source for xp10's for the R at all. Looking at tarox pads atm.

tripleS

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
15 GTI PP \ 16 GT4
If you want to check out Carbotech pads, KNSBrakes has them. They also have Stoptech BBKs, where I think the 4-pistons should fit under 18s.

I'll also shamelessly recommend some better track pads (Pagid RS29 yellows that I'm loving) & Audi TTRS air ducts w/ dust shield removal for an interim solution.

Last edited:

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
If you want to check out Carbotech pads, KNSBrakes has them. They also have Stoptech BBKs, where I think the 4-pistons should fit under 18s.

I'll also shamelessly recommend some better track pads (Pagid RS29 yellows that I'm loving) & Audi TTRS air ducts for an interim solution.

I find it weird how pads for oem can be $300 for track pads but replacement for BBK's are sub $200 for most of them. Those pagid ones are ok for street use even in winter? I'm looking for a dual pad since its 90% street with maybe one more track event before winter sets in.

AR11

Ready to race!
I've run DS2500 on track and the performance was better than stock but still got pretty cooked. I've just decided that the incremental cost of the BBK (~2500 or so) isn't justified -- I'll just be mindful of my braking and dial it back one click.

That said, pads are worth a try but don't start upgrading 4 rotors and lines etc etc or you'll end up pretty close in cost to some of the cheaper BBK anyway.

To answer your question though, the 355 ST40 is a pretty slick option and there are good deals if you hunt around

tripleS

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
15 GTI PP \ 16 GT4
I find it weird how pads for oem can be $300 for track pads but replacement for BBK's are sub $200 for most of them. Those pagid ones are ok for street use even in winter? I'm looking for a dual pad since its 90% street with maybe one more track event before winter sets in.
The price differences between track pads for most OEM brake setups (expensive pads) versus aftermarket kits (less expensive pads) deals mostly with volume AFAIK. The aftermarket kits normally use a more common pad shape.

I'd keep the Pagids on year round if they weren't so expensive, and if I didn't have my OEM set of rotors & pads sitting in the garage waiting for when I swap wheels for winter. That being said I don't A)mind the squeal, and B)mind something that's not super grabby when cold - they work fine on the street.

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
I'd like to take one step back and ask the OP a question: How many track days per year/season do you run?

If you're only running a few days a year, then doing lines, fluid and pads are the way to go.

If you're running more than 10 days per year, I'd seriously consider a BBK upgrade. It literally takes 5 minutes to swap pads out and the pad choices are endless. I can guarantee you that a 4-piston, 355mm Stoptech BBK will fit under the 18" wheels. The Stoptech caliper has a lower profile than the Brembo for extra clearance. You may need to run a spacer, but that's it.
I have over 10 years of track experience with Stoptech and have NEVER had an issue, including running 12 hour endurance races on one set of pads (Pagid RS29). You can get a Stoptech 4-piston, 355mm BBK for under $2500.
Do not cobble together a BBK from Porsche parts. Again, there is engineering involved down to the piston size to ensure a balanced braking system. I had a Stoptech kit for a 2006 BMW 330 (e90) and it wasn't compatible with an e90 BMW 335 due to the difference in piston size from changes BMW made to the master cylinder.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7ZXe0mS_jA&t=2s

Also, don't compromise on the pads. They are your life. If you can't stop, you crash. Change the street pads out for dedicated track pads.

You could get away with just changing pads, proper venting, good fluid etc. You might have to take it a little bit easier on the brakes.
If you get the BBK, you won't have to worry about anything, other than overheating your engine.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
My track car is a mk6 k04 gti, Been really happy with the stoptech ST40 kit I have on it used with carbotech xp10 pads and castrol SRF fluid.

I see you're somewhat local, Where are you from? I was just at blackhawk 2 weeks ago and heading up to Grattan this weekend. Always cool to meet other track guys.

rexneffect

Ready to race!
I cant find a source for xp10's for the R at all. Looking at tarox pads atm.
The R10 pads at G-LOC are similar, but better. Look them up. The brothers who started carbotech left and started GLOC.
I ran a set of their R8 pads on track and street them in the summer so far and theyre fine. Sounds like a school bus or train coming to a slow stop with the squeaking, though. Felt the same as a previous set of XP8 I had from carbotech.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
My track car is a mk6 k04 gti, Been really happy with the stoptech ST40 kit I have on it used with carbotech xp10 pads and castrol SRF fluid.

I see you're somewhat local, Where are you from? I was just at blackhawk 2 weeks ago and heading up to Grattan this weekend. Always cool to meet other track guys.
From Milwaukee, road america would be my home track and blackhawk is super fun but its 1:45 drive vs 35 for road america. Event I did was with northwoods shelby club.
I'd like to take one step back and ask the OP a question: How many track days per year/season do you run?

If you're only running a few days a year, then doing lines, fluid and pads are the way to go.

If you're running more than 10 days per year, I'd seriously consider a BBK upgrade. It literally takes 5 minutes to swap pads out and the pad choices are endless. I can guarantee you that a 4-piston, 355mm Stoptech BBK will fit under the 18" wheels. The Stoptech caliper has a lower profile than the Brembo for extra clearance. You may need to run a spacer, but that's it.
I have over 10 years of track experience with Stoptech and have NEVER had an issue, including running 12 hour endurance races on one set of pads (Pagid RS29). You can get a Stoptech 4-piston, 355mm BBK for under $2500.
Do not cobble together a BBK from Porsche parts. Again, there is engineering involved down to the piston size to ensure a balanced braking system. I had a Stoptech kit for a 2006 BMW 330 (e90) and it wasn't compatible with an e90 BMW 335 due to the difference in piston size from changes BMW made to the master cylinder.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7ZXe0mS_jA&t=2s

Also, don't compromise on the pads. They are your life. If you can't stop, you crash. Change the street pads out for dedicated track pads.

You could get away with just changing pads, proper venting, good fluid etc. You might have to take it a little bit easier on the brakes.
If you get the BBK, you won't have to worry about anything, other than overheating your engine.
1st track day in the R, id prob do 5 track events a year. Blackhawk is pretty hard on brakes and so is road america hence why I think its better to spend the $2300 on a bbk vs $800 on pads/rotors/lines and having to swap stuff out all the time. I'm looking for 1 set of pads for year round driving unless the calipers have the easy access swap for pads.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
Got it.
If the track you're going to is tough on brakes, no sense in beating up a "compromise" on your pad. A true track pad will give you more of what you're looking for in terms of reliability, feel and modulation. Not to mention the stopping power you're looking for.

Yes, then the Stoptech's are the way to go. You simply pull the wheels off, unbolt the bridge (two bolts), pull the bridge out and yank out the pads and simply replace. Very easy to do and literally takes 5 minutes once you have the wheel off.
I'd change all four corners on my BMW prior to the first run group when I was switching over to my R-comps.