GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Catback recommendations with APR DP?

Vobs56

Ready to race!
Hello everyone,

I am currently Stage 2 with APR tune and catted downpipe. I am seeking input on the best sounding catback to pair with my APR dp. I am unsure as to whether the brand of dp changes the characteristics of the sound. Maybe some of you have tried the same catback with different dps and could comment on that aspect. I tried doing some research on youtube to get a better idea of the sound of different catbacks when paired with an APR dp but there does not seem to be too many, at least very quality videos to judge by. I do like a more refined sound when in D mode but do love the raspy, burbling sound similar to what you'd see in the Armytrix turboback, however, I know this one is catless. I was looking at other brands like the CTS Turbo, AWE Track (touring is too quite for my taste and it seems like the track version isn't too aggressive sounding from the videos I have seen), Milltek non-res and Remus non-res. I love the Armytrix, iPE and Akrapovic exhausts but it's hard for me to pull the trigger on a 2K+ system. Thoughts?

Zx2man

Ready to race!
Apr makes a catback now for the mk7 gti. If your even considering 2k for a catback, then the Apr should be a consideration since I think its cheaper and it sounds pretty good too IMO.

Vobs56

Ready to race!
Apr makes a catback now for the mk7 gti. If your even considering 2k for a catback, then the Apr should be a consideration since I think its cheaper and it sounds pretty good too IMO.

Thanks for reminding me, I forgot to list that one under the ones I am considering. It only costs half of what those 2K exhausts cost but I was surprised how tame it sounded in the video APR posted to youtube even when paired with their DP, especially considering the architecture of the piping and having no res unless you add one. Is this just my ears and/or vids not doing the exhausts justice? I feel like all of the armytrix, iPE and akrapovic videos sound totally sick on the mk7 but I am wondering if there is that big of a difference in sound for the money or just a matter of great video editing? lol Is there a big difference in construction and materials to achieve that almost rally car raspy sound?

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
Try a Clubsport S Muffler. Costs $300-400, fairly good resale value.

There's a user here, CLOUT, who runs the APR DP + CSS Muffler, it's fairly loud and raspy according to him. He has a cold start video in his build thread.

I run (for now) a Resonated/Catted DP + CSS Muffler. I know sound is subjective but it's pretty damn loud... drones pretty bad at 2.5k to 3k. I would say the sound is similar to this clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzQfMFPNsT0

I get burbles and crackles when moving around at low speeds, especially when shifting from 1st to 2nd. I have the manual transmission so I can't say what the DSG pops would sound like... but I do get loud pops when I go full throttle, usually when it momentarily loses traction. I'm going back to stock muffler soon because it's too loud and obnoxious for me, but I'll miss the off throttle crackles.

If you wanna go all out, switch to Cobb AP and get a custom map that has the exhaust crackle add-on. Will be obnoxious but you'll get loud pops and crackles when off throttle lol.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
AWE Touring, that's what I'm going with
This is the best setup with a downpipe and still staying civil (until you go wot :D).

I currently have the track edition with a stock downpipe. But when you add a downpipe to these cars it gets LOUD in a hurry! Many people are caught off guard by how loud it is.

Put it like this, the AWE Touring system is louder with a aftermarket downpipe then the track system is with the stock downpipe.

Simply adding a downpipe to the stock system is roughly the same loudness as the track system on the stock downpipe.

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
This is the best setup with a downpipe and still staying civil (until you go wot :D).

I currently have the track edition with a stock downpipe. But when you add a downpipe to these cars it gets LOUD in a hurry! Many people are caught off guard by how loud it is.

Put it like this, the AWE Touring system is louder with a aftermarket downpipe then the track system is with the stock downpipe.

Simply adding a downpipe to the stock system is roughly the same loudness as the track system on the stock downpipe.

I'm still 50/50 on what direction to go. Just picked up a neuspeed DP and already have the AWE track installed. Its either screw it and just throw on the DP or buy/add a resonator (probably the resonated piece from AWE even though its pricey).

I want it louder than now but no way I can handle something as loud/droney as my bros WRX with invidia catback. That thing is not pleasant at all inside the cabin.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
I'm still 50/50 on what direction to go. Just picked up a neuspeed DP and already have the AWE track installed. Its either screw it and just throw on the DP or buy/add a resonator (probably the resonated piece from AWE even though its pricey).

I want it louder than now but no way I can handle something as loud/droney as my bros WRX with invidia catback. That thing is not pleasant at all inside the cabin.

I don't think many could handle the track edition with a downpipe

Track with OEM downpipe:

Track with AWE downpipe:

And just to compare...
Touring with downpipe:

Vobs56

Ready to race!
Try a Clubsport S Muffler. Costs $300-400, fairly good resale value.

There's a user here, CLOUT, who runs the APR DP + CSS Muffler, it's fairly loud and raspy according to him. He has a cold start video in his build thread.

I run (for now) a Resonated/Catted DP + CSS Muffler. I know sound is subjective but it's pretty damn loud... drones pretty bad at 2.5k to 3k. I would say the sound is similar to this clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzQfMFPNsT0

I get burbles and crackles when moving around at low speeds, especially when shifting from 1st to 2nd. I have the manual transmission so I can't say what the DSG pops would sound like... but I do get loud pops when I go full throttle, usually when it momentarily loses traction. I'm going back to stock muffler soon because it's too loud and obnoxious for me, but I'll miss the off throttle crackles.

If you wanna go all out, switch to Cobb AP and get a custom map that has the exhaust crackle add-on. Will be obnoxious but you'll get loud pops and crackles when off throttle lol.

I think I will be actually going the Clubsport S Muffler route. I think it's very cost effective for the difference it makes. I submitted an order for approval with cars245 so we'll see how long it takes. I'm a bit hesitant of what the car will sound like in person with an APR downpipe but it's a risk I'm willing to take for the value. It can't be any louder than the guy with the Mustang GT up the block running long tube headers and straight pipes. At least he keeps it below 2 grand when he's driving through the neighborhood unlike the guy a block over that has a new firesand metallic (orange metallic) Jaguar F-Type R convertible. I don't mind it when he flies down the street because it's just about the most amazing exhaust I have ever heard. I have never heard anything street legal that crackles and pops as much as that car. Lucky guy also has an Alfa Romeo 4C and a Jeep GC SRT-8, then again, he's probably making payments on all 3. Otherwise, here's that incredible sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9CYc3M0DVk

nype

Drag Racing Champion
I think I will be actually going the Clubsport S Muffler route. I think it's very cost effective for the difference it makes. I submitted an order for approval with cars245 so we'll see how long it takes.

I'd check with e-acca.com as well.

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
I think I will be actually going the Clubsport S Muffler route. I think it's very cost effective for the difference it makes. I submitted an order for approval with cars245 so we'll see how long it takes. I'm a bit hesitant of what the car will sound like in person with an APR downpipe but it's a risk I'm willing to take for the value. It can't be any louder than the guy with the Mustang GT up the block running long tube headers and straight pipes. At least he keeps it below 2 grand when he's driving through the neighborhood unlike the guy a block over that has a new firesand metallic (orange metallic) Jaguar F-Type R convertible. I don't mind it when he flies down the street because it's just about the most amazing exhaust I have ever heard. I have never heard anything street legal that crackles and pops as much as that car. Lucky guy also has an Alfa Romeo 4C and a Jeep GC SRT-8, then again, he's probably making payments on all 3.

Yeah it's not straight pipe Mustang loud, but it's still fairly loud when you hit 2.8k+ rpm until 3.5k+ where there's a big increase in sound. Very drone around those RPMs. You can probably get around it with a good resonator. Full throttle is obviously loud :). The MAPerformance DP that I have has the Vibrant 1794 bottle style yet I still get massive drone at said RPMs. One of the 3 inch Vibrant resonators mentioned in the other thread above might work better.

That said, it's actually fairly quiet below 2.8k+. You can move around and it'll like stock, besides the rumbles and crackles when you shift, which isn't too loud. It's nothing like the artificial pops and crackles that they add to the F-type, GTI Clubsport, Focus RS, etc.

You'll need a custom map if you want that on our regular GTI.

Vobs56

Ready to race!
Yeah it's not straight pipe Mustang loud, but it's still fairly loud when you hit 2.8k+ rpm until 3.5k+ where there's a big increase in sound. Very drone around those RPMs. You can probably get around it with a good resonator. Full throttle is obviously loud :). The MAPerformance DP that I have has the Vibrant 1794 bottle style yet I still get massive drone at said RPMs. One of the 3 inch Vibrant resonators mentioned in the other thread above might work better.

That said, it's actually fairly quiet below 2.8k+. You can move around and it'll like stock, besides the rumbles and crackles when you shift, which isn't too loud. It's nothing like the artificial pops and crackles that they add to the F-type, GTI Clubsport, Focus RS, etc.

You'll need a custom map if you want that on our regular GTI.

I have my order in for the Clubsport S muffler from cars 245. I am going to hold on the resonator until I hear what the exhaust sounds like in person but thanks for the recommendation! I will likely go with a Vibrant 17930 resonator if it's a bit too obnoxious or does not break in to my taste. Thanks Derushi for presenting me with this option! I read through a good deal of the Clubsport S muffler thread that's on here and it helped solidify my decision. Also, would anyone happen to know if the clamps on my existing OEM exhaust can be remounted for the CSS muffler or will I need to order a new clamp? I saw a post from breaking badly that said the part number for the clamp was "1K0 253 141 AA - Schelle (clamp)" Do I need to order this clamp as well or could I reuse the one on the existing exhaust system? And if I do need this clamp is this the correct part number? For some reason on the diagrams it's showing up as the clamp (#7) between the downpipe and resonator and not the clamp between the resonator and catback (#9). I'm assuming they're the same clamp since the piping circumference is the same?

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
I have my order in for the Clubsport S muffler from cars 245. I am going to hold on the resonator until I hear what the exhaust sounds like in person but thanks for the recommendation! I will likely go with a Vibrant 17930 resonator if it's a bit too obnoxious or does not break in to my taste. Thanks Derushi for presenting me with this option! I read through a good deal of the Clubsport S muffler thread that's on here and it helped solidify my decision. Also, would anyone happen to know if the clamps on my existing OEM exhaust can be remounted for the CSS muffler or will I need to order a new clamp? I saw a post from breaking badly that said the part number for the clamp was "1K0 253 141 AA - Schelle (clamp)" Do I need to order this clamp as well or could I reuse the one on the existing exhaust system? And if I do need this clamp is this the correct part number? For some reason on the diagrams it's showing up as the clamp (#7) between the downpipe and resonator and not the clamp between the resonator and catback (#9). I'm assuming they're the same clamp since the piping circumference is the same?
You'll need to order the clamp since the OEM cat back is one single piece.