GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wait for 2018 GTI, or value shop 2017's now?

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
2018 S will not have bigger brakes and front differential.

Correct. Just the up-rated 220hp.

https://www.vwwebsource.com/content/uploads/2017/12/MY2018_Retail_Order_Guide_US_gti.pdf

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Looks like the diff does come standard for 2018

Quote from the VW press release:
https://media.vw.com/en-us/press-kits/2018-golf-gti-press-kit

The 2018 Golf GTI is available in three trims—S, SE and Autobahn. All models now come with 220 horsepower standard (achieved with premium fuel), a 10-horsepower increase from previous years, and larger touchscreen infotainment displays. Every Golf GTI features LED Daytime Running Lights (DRLs) and taillights, with LED headlights standard on SE and Autobahn trims.

SE and Autobahn trims also include the brakes from the Golf R and an electronically controlled, torque sensing, limited-slip VAQ differential. Infotainment systems receive larger screens throughout the range, and SE models now include a sunroof as standard equipment.

EDIT: Also page 4 in the order guide shows differential is not available in S trim.
https://www.vwwebsource.com/content/uploads/2017/12/MY2018_Retail_Order_Guide_US_gti.pdf

Last edited:

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Edl is not the same as the vaq diff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Quote from the VW press release:
https://media.vw.com/en-us/press-kits/2018-golf-gti-press-kit

The 2018 Golf GTI is available in three trims—S, SE and Autobahn. All models now come with 220 horsepower standard (achieved with premium fuel), a 10-horsepower increase from previous years, and larger touchscreen infotainment displays. Every Golf GTI features LED Daytime Running Lights (DRLs) and taillights, with LED headlights standard on SE and Autobahn trims.

SE and Autobahn trims also include the brakes from the Golf R and an electronically controlled, torque sensing, limited-slip VAQ differential. Infotainment systems receive larger screens throughout the range, and SE models now include a sunroof as standard equipment.

EDIT: Also page 4 in the order guide shows differential is not available in S trim.

Ahhhh... I see that the XDS+ and VAQ are different differentials. The inclusion of "electronic diff lock" on the window sticker had me confused.

It's a shame they've done away with the Sport trim; glad I bought mine when I did.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
I am not considering the same. If I was, I would go to a Audi dealer so I could see first hand the digital dash, look at the tails, and listen to the MIB3 system. I did a MIB1 to MIB2 conversion and it did sound better. I have listened briefly to the MIB3 in an Audi A4 and it was really good. When the 18's hit the showroom and inventory starts to come up the 17's pricing should be quite attractive.

I can say that I love the digital cockpit on my A4, I’m almost at 40k miles in less than 2 years now with no issues whatsoever, I would expect the same quality on the VW screen as well since they are very similar if not the same.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
I can say that I love the digital cockpit on my A4, I’m almost at 40k miles in less than 2 years now with no issues whatsoever, I would expect the same quality on the VW screen as well since they are very similar if not the same.

The Digital Cockpit will only be on the 2018 Golf R which I'm okay with. It looks cheap to me. The Audi Virtual Cockpit does not look cheap.

CosmosMpower

Ready to race!
That is an insane good deal. You can buy an extended warranty and still ahead if you bought a 2018.

I bought my Sport in July 2017...and I paid a heck of alot more.

I bet I can get it down to 22-22.5. There are a LOT of 17's still sitting on dealer lots around the country and the 18's are inbound. Plus I'm not dying to buy the car. I sold my daily beater E46 330 zhp but have a short commute so I can drive my M2 or M3 for a while until I find the right deal.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
I feel the trims levels are much more organized now. SE is closer to Sport with leather seats being optional. Only add on on the SE would be sunroof.

The only option on a 2018 SE are the leather seats. The only way to get a non-sunroof 2018 GTI is to get an S which means no LED headlights, no safety/DAP options, no Fender audio, no VAQ diff or PP brakes.

I'm still pissed the only way you can get Fender and ACC is going for a loaded Autobahn lol.

This is my post from a thread on Vortex of what an Autobahn has over an SE:

ACC
Parking sensors and park assist
High beam control
12 way power drivers seat (leather standard)
NAV with enhanced Car-Net
Fender audio
Climatronic
Auto dimming mirror
DCC

I just did some quick math. After adding the $695 leather to the SE, an Autobahn GTI is $3905 than an SE with leather.

And VW wonders why their sales are down/why they have to offer incentives! Is it just me, or should the Autobahn be $2700-$3000 more than the SE, at most?!

Aside from the DCC, audio, and 12 way power drivers seat, most of the other stuff I feel shouldn't add up to almost $4000. I seriously wish you could just get an SE with the ACC and Fender audio. I'd pay $1500 on top of the SE's price for those two items.

And for those saying that VW sales were good (that's the feedback some had from Vortex), yes, they are, but a huge reason for that is because of the heavily discounted Mk7's. Golf's, Jetta's, Golf Sportwagens, GTI's, etc. Bad for VW and for their customer's. Why? Because just as Chogokin said, he paid a lot more for his 2017 Sport just 5 months ago than what they're going for now. That tends to piss people off and it also makes resale value tank.

As for myself, because I'm not in the market right now (damn negative equity on my Mazda3), I'm kind of hoping 2018's don't hold their value too crazy so I can pick up a slightly used 2018 GTI Autobahn down the road. We'll have to see how much the market values the 6 year, 72k mile warranty. It still boggles my mind how Honda can offer a mid-size car with all of the standard safety tech (lane assist, blind spot, cross traffic monitoring, ACC, and traffic sign recognition) on their brand new $25k Accord, yet VW can't get their compact car in the same pricing bracket haha. I realize these aren't in the same class and the likelihood of cross shopping them are slim, but I guess I was one of the rare ones. I was really eyeing the new 2.0T Sport 6MT Accord but then I realized that ultimately, a Mk7/7.5 GTI with the VAQ diff and larger brakes will suit my needs much better.