GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wait for 2018 GTI, or value shop 2017's now?

CiviclyConverting

Wondering if anyone else is considering the same and what your thoughts may be about whether to buy a 2017 now or wait for 2018 models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
Depends, do you want the facelift/digital dash and potential issues with the newly designed dash or do you just want a good price?

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
Depends, do you want the facelift/digital dash and potential issues with the newly designed dash or do you just want a good price?

You only get the digital dash in the r and he never stated what he wanted so it's kinda hit or miss, also the dash should be fine considering they've been in vw and audi for a bit.

In the end it ups to if you want the updated looks and newer radio for the gti and for the r digital dash and 7sd dsg

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Really, it just depends on whether you prefer the new look. I, personally, prefer the existing iteration. Not a fan of the facelift. I like the tails tho, which is good bc they're compatible with the outgoing model.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
I am not considering the same. If I was, I would go to a Audi dealer so I could see first hand the digital dash, look at the tails, and listen to the MIB3 system. I did a MIB1 to MIB2 conversion and it did sound better. I have listened briefly to the MIB3 in an Audi A4 and it was really good. When the 18's hit the showroom and inventory starts to come up the 17's pricing should be quite attractive.

CiviclyConverting

I am leaning toward the new design and dash, standard higher HP, and new model year, but I do like the 2017 Sport. The higher depreciation oh the 17s and nearly same pricing incentivize me to wait.

czr7

I jumped on an outgoing 17 with current pricing. You may get $3k off at year end for an 18, maybe, but you're not going to touch the current real $5-6k+ off deals right now for the new ones until next year so you pay the real $3k premium. Time is money.

Nsknick

Ready to race!
I jumped on an outgoing 17 with current pricing. You may get $3k off at year end for an 18, maybe, but you're not going to touch the current real $5-6k+ off deals right now for the new ones until next year so you pay the real $3k premium. Time is money.

I completely agree with this! I'm picking up a 2017 GTI Sport for around $22,500 before tax/title and fees (Around $1400 for taxes and title fees), and a $299 dealer fee. Plus I'll be adding the new tail lights in time. Not worth it to pay the premium for a minor face lift, imho. To each their own!

CiviclyConverting

What about the depreciation risk on the 17s? As soon as the 18s release, the real difference could more than offset that hypothetical $3k time premium some here have mentioned.

The 17s would need to come down far more for it to be worth it. The Sport would prob need to be closer to $22k OTD, and not the current $24-25k advertised here.

Nsknick

Ready to race!
What about the depreciation risk on the 17s? As soon as the 18s release, the real difference could more than offset that hypothetical $3k time premium some here have mentioned.

The 17s would need to come down far more for it to be worth it. The Sport would prob need to be closer to $22k OTD, and not the current $24-25k advertised here.

You would be waiting awhile to find a deal like that. MAYBE if VW still had a huge surplus of 17's that they were sending to dealers with 18's, would the price be that low. Or if a dealer is desperate to get rid of their 17's. I feel like $6k-$8k off MSRP for a 17 is still a great deal. You will most likely pay close to MSRP for a 2018 for awhile.

o'bluetouring

Stopped by a local dealer here in Los Angeles and they claimed they won't be getting any 18's GTI til end of fall.

If that's the case, I think I'll be getting a 17's soon.

CiviclyConverting

You would be waiting awhile to find a deal like that. MAYBE if VW still had a huge surplus of 17's that they were sending to dealers with 18's, would the price be that low. Or if a dealer is desperate to get rid of their 17's. I feel like $6k-$8k off MSRP for a 17 is still a great deal. You will most likely pay close to MSRP for a 2018 for awhile.

If dealers don't discount the 17s more to offset the depreciation risk that 2017 buyers would be taking on at this late point in the model year, then it's better to wait for the 2018s imho. The MSRP for most cars is just a target/aspirational retail price set by manufacturers at the beginning of the model year and does not represent the actual market value at a given point in time nor does the MSRP take into consideration that a new 2018 model year is set to greatly depreciate the value of a 17 model year.

sebastian1

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi,

I'm pretty new to the community and am currently in the market for a new car.
I'm under the same dilemma if I should get the 2017 Golf R instead of 2018. I know what the 2018 lineup has to offer in terms of features and upgrades but I was looking forward to get a good price. Is it possible I could get better deals on a lease, probably that money factors for leasing would be better when new models are introduced into the market and so on?

Thanks.