GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2018 Golf R MK7.5 - US Release

bradst3r

Ready to race!
I just got the order guide from the dealer here and I'm just not feeling the Englishtown wheels it comes with. Wish they still gave an option for the Pretoria's.

Last edited:

tony2x

My local dealer here in SF tells me mine will be here before the end of the month. I haven't got a VIN yet though, just a printout showing the build and my name next to it. Mine is a Oryx White DSG.

Patiently waiting here.

VirtualSynapse

My local dealer here in SF tells me mine will be here before the end of the month. I haven't got a VIN yet though, just a printout showing the build and my name next to it. Mine is a Oryx White DSG.

Patiently waiting here.

Any idea when your R was built?? Just curious how long those cars have been sitting in Florida... I know at least one person in the Vortex thread found out their R was built back in September.

EDIT: ...I guess that may be hard to determine without a VIN :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

j3oomerang

Reported by who? One of the stupid sites that creates "renderings" and say this is what it "might" look like? They don't know anything, they're speculating.

NFW the next GTI is 350 hp. Putting that much HP through the front wheels is insane (though many GTI guys do it anyways). I'll eat my Airedale if it's over 300. Hell even something like 280 would be a huge jump.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/01/19/2020-vw-golf-details-horsepower-gti-golfr/

Just one example here, several sites reported this. Not saying it's true, just saying it's been reported. And I was talking about the R being 350hp.

Last edited:

beardedGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6mt
https://www.autoblog.com/2018/01/19/2020-vw-golf-details-horsepower-gti-golfr/

Just one example here, several sites reported this. Not saying it's true, just saying it's been reported. And I was talking about the R being 350hp.

The problem is that link to the Autoblog article cites all of this from Auto Express which is precisely one of the “stupid sites that creates renderings/doesn’t know anything” that KevinC is talking about. If you actually click through to the Auto Express article they link to, you’ll see numerous contradictions in their “insider” information. You can tell from the comments section this article has been up for years and they just keep editing it every time someone else creates a new rendering, or they hear insider info from someone who’s just guessing.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Yes, yes. Look at the previous 2 generations before the MK7. The MK6 was on the same platform as the MK5. It just saw an improved (more efficient, if not more powerful) engine, nicer interior, and more a more serious looking exterior.

VW invested metric fucktons of cash into developing the MQB architecture. It is highly unlikely that the MK8 will be on a different platform. And, considering that the 7.5 R's power got bumped up from 300hp to whatever it is now (310? 320?), it is just as reasonable to imagine that the MK8 will have 350HP.

Now, it might also have the same amount of power, but be fed by an electric turbo that spools instantly and produces more power throughout the range (so while peak power may be similar, the area under the curve is still bigger)

Regardless, it is very safe conjecture to assume that the MK8 will be MQB and have ~350HP.

COSturmWolke

Ready to race!
I was contacted by the dealer today...they were allocated their Golf Rs and I have my VIN! I wish I knew how to figure out the build date from the VIN, but apparently that requires inside info. Now that I have hope, I’m finally excited again!

Gnosisdog

Passed Driver's Ed
Anyone find it completely inexplicable that VW would wait until April to release their winter warrior Golf R? When they were being built early last fall?!? Explanations?

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Anyone find it completely inexplicable that VW would wait until April to release their winter warrior Golf R? When they were being built early last fall?!? Explanations?

We're pretty sure VW wasn't doing this on purpose

Whether it was because of emissions testing or issues with the digital cockpit, we don't know though

davewg

Ready to race!
And, considering that the 7.5 R's power got bumped up from 300hp to whatever it is now (310? 320?), it is just as reasonable to imagine that the MK8 will have 350HP.

In the US the 7.5 has no more power than it did before. The ROW got a slight power bump (~305 I believe).

I was contacted by the dealer today...they were allocated their Golf Rs and I have my VIN! I wish I knew how to figure out the build date from the VIN, but apparently that requires inside info. Now that I have hope, I’m finally excited again!

There's a guy in the 2018 thread on another forum that has offered to look up VINs and provide this info....

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
We're pretty sure VW wasn't doing this on purpose

Undoubtedly true, though I have fantasies of some Teutonic executive sitting in a gleaming, Spartanly modernist office cackling maniacally at satellite photos of R's sitting on the tarmac in Florida while simultaneously reading forum posts by disappointed and frustrated would be buyers.

COSturmWolke

Ready to race!
Undoubtedly true, though I have fantasies of some Teutonic executive sitting in a gleaming, Spartanly modernist office cackling maniacally at satellite photos of R's sitting on the tarmac in Florida while simultaneously reading forum posts by disappointed and frustrated would be buyers.

Hilarious!! Lol! Thanks for that image!