GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2018 Golf R MK7.5 - US Release

GT_Joey

Hi everyone,

This would be my first post on the forums. I am a prospective buyer of the Golf R and have been on a search throughout the car market for about a year now.

I was bitterly disappointed when I read the performance package will not be available to the US. Although it was stated as a rumor, I believe this to be true.

The reason I've created this thread is to get some feedback, insight & overall opinions with regards to becoming a Golf R owner here in the states.

Some of my questions I have for you all are as follows:

1) Will the Turmeric Yellow Color be available in the states?
2) Will there be stand alone options to purchase bits and pieces from the performance package here in the states?
3) Will the panoramic moonroof be available in the MK7.5 Golf R?
4) Reliability? Known issues? Ownership experience?
5) Manual vs. 7 spd - which to go for?
6) Aftermarket availability? Big brake kits - I see lambo calipers on some?

Appreciate any responses on this! Thanks!

Last edited:

SRoads

Ready to race!
1-3) No
4) Reliable; search the forums and see what you find...
5) Manual or DSG....depends on how you drive and where you drive
6.)You don't need big brakes; unless you have track experience, then your experience would tell you what to buy for improvement, but it's your money you can buy audi 370mm brakes. Buying good tires would give you more bang for your buck improvement.

KyleKisstro

Passed Driver's Ed
1-3) Probably not although I do hope we have an option to purchase the black Pretoria or whatever
4.) 2015 Owners key in here... I've not had mine for more than a half year and it's a lemon and being substituted for a 2018 DCC/NAV/M6
6.) There are lots of kits out but stock brakes are fine from my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
All of these questions have been covered if you just used the search feature.

Why do you need bigger brakes?

admiralackbar

Passed Driver's Ed
FYI those custom colours (including turmeric yellow) are available in Canada (did not know they were not available in the US) and are about $3K each.

I passed and opted for cheap ass tornado red for my 2018 ;)

Urlik

Go Kart Newbie
FYI those custom colours (including turmeric yellow) are available in Canada (did not know they were not available in the US) and are about $3K each.

I passed and opted for cheap ass tornado red for my 2018 ;)

VWoA doesn't let us order cars to our desires like VWoC does for you folks.

TorontoDUBBER

Ready to race!
Does anyone have the F/E rating on the 7spd DSG?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Does anyone have the F/E rating on the 7spd DSG?

I think it's too soon to know if it's rated any higher, which is what you really want to know. It could an existing Audi unit, or a modified one that still has the old clutches. All they really care about is weight and MPG. And VW typically doesn't release this type of information beforehand. I guess they don't want tuners to know how much headroom they're going to have:) You can try asking APR or even George Smooth, since he's ROW.

TorontoDUBBER

Ready to race!
I think it's too soon to know if it's rated any higher, which is what you really want to know. It could an existing Audi unit, or a modified one that still has the old clutches. All they really care about is weight and MPG. And VW typically doesn't release this type of information beforehand. I guess they don't want tuners to know how much headroom they're going to have:) You can try asking APR or even George Smooth, since he's ROW.
2017 S3 it's being advertised to run 21/28mpg but articles mention an all new Quattro awd system that sends more torque to the rear wheels so I'm guessing something akin to the S4 awd system used in the past.

COSturmWolke

Ready to race!
I contacted my dealer who contacted the regional rep. There has been no announcement about order date, prices or options...anytime in the next few weeks we should know!

JoeyGTI

Touring Car Champion
got an email from corporate VW USA. He said the order guides will be in dealers hands next month but he didn't give me a specific day :)

Now I have the tough decision to make on whether to order the refreshed 2018 Mustang GT or the refreshed 2018 Golf R !!!! hahaha

domyalex

got an email from corporate VW USA. He said the order guides will be in dealers hands next month but he didn't give me a specific day :)

Now I have the tough decision to make on whether to order the refreshed 2018 Mustang GT or the refreshed 2018 Golf R !!!! hahaha

I had this same dilemma for the 2017 models. The Mustang certainly sounds awesome, even without the flat plan crank, but interior, practicality, awd and dimensions (tight garage) made the R the clear winner in my case.

JoeyGTI

Touring Car Champion
I had this same dilemma for the 2017 models. The Mustang certainly sounds awesome, even without the flat plan crank, but interior, practicality, awd and dimensions (tight garage) made the R the clear winner in my case.

totally agree !! however all the complaints I had about the 15'-17' Mustang's interior has all been resolved with the 2018. No more bright shiny tacky chrome trim/bezels, its all satin brushed aluminum and the doors are all soft touch, new napa leather used on the improved thicker steering wheel and they FINALLY wrapped the hard plastic center console in soft touch leather, if you opt for the 401A and upgraded interior. Not to mention the upgraded motor has 460hp !! from 435 :)

I currently drive a 2006 MKV GTI (original owner) and the car has been a blast but I'm way overdue for an upgrade and thats why I'm torn, as the refreshed 18' Golf R looks amazing. Wished we were the getting Euro spec'd R with the better performance package, which makes me lean more towards the Mustang right now....decisions...decisions.

Last edited:

king12sky

Ready to race!
totally agree !! however all the complaints I had about the 15'-17' Mustang's interior has all been resolved with the 2018. No more bright shiny tacky chrome trim/bezels, its all satin brushed aluminum and the doors are all soft touch, new napa leather used on the improved thicker steering wheel and they FINALLY wrapped the hard plastic center console in soft touch leather, if you opt for the 401A and upgraded interior. Not to mention the upgraded motor has 460hp !! from 435 :)

I currently drive a 2006 MKV GTI (original owner) and the car has been a blast but I'm way overdue for an upgrade and thats why I'm torn, as the refreshed 18' Golf R looks amazing. Wished we were the getting Euro spec'd R with the better performance package, which makes me lean more towards the Mustang right now....decisions...decisions.

I am getting the Mustang GT. Was going to upgrade the GTI to the facelifted R but idk if $42k or more is what i would want to spend on a R with no performance pack ( Brembo Brakes & Akra exhaust ). All i cared was the head/tail lights and AID which i believe can be retrofitted down the road.

I build the 18 just for fun and the premium w/ performance package was about $52K! LOL! that is GT350 money!