GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Finally getting around to suspension upgrades

rjtrout

Go Kart Newbie
So, I am finally getting around to upgrading the suspension on my 2016 GTI. I have looked at the following setups:

ED Springs and Koni Yellows
H&R Springs and Koni Yellows
Bilstein PSS coilovers

I live in Colorado, so I am looking for a setup that will be able to take a little bit of abuse (why I wanted to steer clear of ST) but I am trying to keep the budget under $1000. I do a lot of canyon and mountain driving and am looking for something that will be a great balance on the street.

Any feedback is most welcome!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

DG springs + Konis + swaybars + control arm bushings

if the ride height is fine for you and it still fits your budget. Just Bilstein PSS are similar money.

Kinogod

Passed Driver's Ed
So, I am finally getting around to upgrading the suspension on my 2016 GTI. I have looked at the following setups:

ED Springs and Koni Yellows
H&R Springs and Koni Yellows
Bilstein PSS coilovers

I live in Colorado, so I am looking for a setup that will be able to take a little bit of abuse (why I wanted to steer clear of ST) but I am trying to keep the budget under $1000. I do a lot of canyon and mountain driving and am looking for something that will be a great balance on the street.

Any feedback is most welcome!

Koni yellows are perfect with any variety of sport springs. Tire rack has a set of 4 yellows with EB springs for $850, plus install and realignment. Under $1000 though is not with labor. Add another $600-$800 for about $1600. To stay under $1000 if you're not doing labor would mean sport spring only $250 and labor with realignment $600.

I did the springs only out of the gate and it is a big improvement. Now saving coin for koni yellows. Before that you should really consider lighter rims and really good tires if you like to drive canyons etc. I just went with lighter rims and pilot cup sports and it's the best $2000 I've spent so far.

After yellows with more warranty mileage on the car, I'll do stage 1 apr w/euro code who will flash and reflash to my hearts content without additional cost.

That and a pipe should get me to the US Spec Mk8 in 2020.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rjtrout

Go Kart Newbie
Koni yellows are perfect with any variety of sport springs. Tire rack has a set of 4 yellows with EB springs for $850, plus install and realignment. Under $1000 though is not with labor. Add another $600-$800 for about $1600. To stay under $1000 if you're not doing labor would mean sport spring only $250 and labor with realignment $600.

I did the springs only out of the gate and it is a big improvement. Now saving coin for koni yellows. Before that you should really consider lighter rims and really good tires if you like to drive canyons etc. I just went with lighter rims and pilot cup sports and it's the best $2000 I've spent so far.

After yellows with more warranty mileage on the car, I'll do stage 1 apr w/euro code who will flash and reflash to my hearts content without additional cost.

That and a pipe should get me to the US Spec Mk8 in 2020.

This is exactly the setup that I am looking at running over the next couple of years! I have been researching different wheels and I have a set of tires already waiting to be installed. I am torn between Enkei RPF1 and Enkei RS05 wheels right now. Since these are summer wheels, an aggressive tire is the plan.

I am leaning towards the Konis at this point, probably with H&R springs.

ExcelerateRep1

Go Kart Champion
Have you thought about using the factory shocks with an MSS spring kit? These spring kits offer the greatest combination of sport and daily street driving on the market. The MSS kit allows you to retain all your suspension components and eliminating the need for them as the springs themselves cover their duties by generating the qualities of said products into the springs themselves by using a revolutionary stacked spring design. You will experience great ride quality, eliminated squat and dive on launch/hard acceleration and braking, and most FWD cars experience elimination of wheel hop on FWD cars. You end up saving money in the end too by not having to add a bunch of other suspension components that aren't necessary. The Fully adjustable sport kit is $1,099 and the standard kit is $1,019. I can cover the shipping to you. I have found that those with the GTI like the street kit too ($679 for street standard, $819 fully adjustable)

Kinogod is offering some good advice on wheels/tires too. Light wheels and good tires are going to make a huge difference in any driving condition.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thanks,

Greg

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I will second lower control arms bushings.
ECS sells arms but they were back ordered when I was buying.
They also sell bushings you can get pressed in.
I think a must when lowering.
Double the budget and get these!

IMG_3460.JPG

IMG_3459.JPG

rjtrout

Go Kart Newbie
I am glad you guys pointed out the control arm bushings! While Everything is apart, I think these would be a solid upgrade for sure. I looked at the MSS kit, but that puts me into the price point of KW coils.....

madface1

Go Kart Newbie
Springs and shocks are really that expensive?! That's right on the heels of a true coilover setup!

phxvwking

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm really happy with my MSS setup, rides great, designed for stock sways so no extra cost down the road. Most people don't think of that. The MSS with stock sways leans less in turns than the stock suspension did with the ST rear bar. Both together was too much in back, I could feel the traction control correcting and bringing the rear back in line as the car would try to oversteer at a limit lower than stock.

Designed for stock sways? Which spring kit isn't designed for stock sway bars?

If it rolls less it's stiffer, period. There's no black magic in springs. ;)

phxvwking

Passed Driver's Ed
Designed for stock sways? Which spring kit isn't designed for stock sway bars?

If it rolls less it's stiffer, period. There's no black magic in springs. ;)
Lets reword this. It's designed to not need anything but stock swaybars. In my experience the ST bar, which is IMO representative of most medium sized aftermarket sways, was too much (provided to much roll stiffness) when used in tandem with the MSS kits as installed on my car. Most aftermarket spring kits (and probably most coilover kits) were yes, designed to be used with stock sways. The difference being there is more performance to be gained by pairing them with aftermarket sways as the owner/driver sees a need for them. I don't believe that difference exists with the MSS kits. Or the Ohlins that are sitting in the garage waiting for me to install them... That was, for me, one of the reasons I bought them. I didn't need to budget another 300-800 for sways and links. And that budget could be used for just the springs.

madface1

Go Kart Newbie
Oh yeah. Springs and shocks are a little over $900 when it's all said and done

Jeez that's crazy to me. BC coils with any spring rate up to 16kg, 30 way adjustable shocks, AND camber plates are only $1025, why would anyone buy springs and shocks and have far less adjustability for almost the same price?!

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Jeez that's crazy to me. BC coils with any spring rate up to 16kg, 30 way adjustable shocks, AND camber plates are only $1025, why would anyone buy springs and shocks and have far less adjustability for almost the same price?!

A lot of features for the money no doubt...but to play devil's advocate:
* $800 vs $1000
* Less to fiddle with or worry about breaking
* flexibility to mix and match
* higher quality depending on parts chosen (Bilstein > BC)
* better ride quality (B8)
* adjustable (yellows)
* no scheduled downtime or spending more money every x miles to service/rebuild (not sure about the cost for BC rebuilds but was quoted $1k every 40k miles to service Ohlins)
* lifetime warranty vs 1 year

Just depends what's important to you.

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
I live in Colorado, so I am looking for a setup that will be able to take a little bit of abuse

Tell me about it! Pothole took out my tire a couple days ago. I have gone through three wheels/tires in two years out here on pot holes! I have a set of B8s going on this week. Stock shocks don't work well with VWR springs.

Attachments

• IMG_7853.JPG
    IMG_7853.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 573
  • IMG_7861.JPG
    IMG_7861.JPG
    228.3 KB · Views: 579
  • IMG_7871.JPG
    IMG_7871.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 577