GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR stage 1

aadouglass.13

Passed Driver's Ed
Anyone with the APR stage 1, how long have you had it? How do you like it? Have you come across any issues? Do you feel it was worth it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

protocall

Passed Driver's Ed
Do it. It's the best bang for the buck mod anywhere.

I've logged about 8k miles with the stage 1 tune on my R. No issues. The car is plenty quick without it, but the tune puts it in a different league.

If you have a manual trans, you should consider a new clutch as well. But if you're driving a DSG, the tune will make you feel like you're driving a baby R8.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

aadouglass.13

Passed Driver's Ed
Do it. It's the best bang for the buck mod anywhere.

I've logged about 8k miles with the stage 1 tune on my R. No issues. The car is plenty quick without it, but the tune puts it in a different league.

If you have a manual trans, you should consider a new clutch as well. But if you're driving a DSG, the tune will make you feel like you're driving a baby R8.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
I actually got mine done yesterday. I just wanted to hear everyone else's opinion and experience on the subject. It's downright amazing. Night and day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

rafa1

Passed Driver's Ed
Had mine for about 20k miles.
It is worth it, gains are amazing and there are no compromises (besides fuel grade if you choose).

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Some people in the Mk5 and Mk6 scene have had the tune for well over 100,000 miles with little to no issues. I only have anecdotal evidence because I haven't bothered to look through the mk5 and 6 forums, but I know of one Mk5 I met in person who was APR Stage 3 for a while and is at well over 100,000 miles with basically no issues.

jbeverly

I had an APR stage 3 on my old (2000 1.8t) Jetta and was very happy with the software and hardware. I'm a newbie to California and would like to get software for our new 6MT Alltrack but wasn't sure about legality. Does anyone know about passing smog with a modified ECU?

sergemcgraw83

Passed Driver's Ed
APR Stage I 91 octane tune on the 1.8T is like adding another engine on top of the one already there. No joke. Some say it's a night and day difference. I disagree. It's a 'Night of a lunar eclipse with all the 9 planets perfectly aligned with the center of the milky way and day' difference.

The only issue I got with it is that the douche BMW owners around here now hates me.

Get it.

Last edited:

matzi24

Passed Driver's Ed
Anyone recommend upgrading additional parts to compensate for the extra power? I read get a new clutch/stock is fine, etc. Just curious to avoid any future problems?

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Clutch if you want to be certain you will be safe, downpipe if you want extra power, and intercooler if you lived in a warmer place than New York or if you track your car. Also, a dogbone insert to reduce the inevitable wheel hop (violent vibrations when spinning your wheels) can protect your suspension and transmission/engine mounts from spontaneously fracturing, but that is not a common occurrence.

sergemcgraw83

Passed Driver's Ed
Anyone recommend upgrading additional parts to compensate for the extra power? I read get a new clutch/stock is fine, etc. Just curious to avoid any future problems?

Clutch life is all about your driving. Daily driving with occasional spirited driving : no prob. If you "live your life a quarter mile at a time", save money for clutch.

That's it honestly. Anything you add would be to get more power, not to add longevity to the engine. Those engine internals can take 400hp easily without changing a thing. Your engine block is laughing at your tune.

matzi24

Passed Driver's Ed
Clutch life is all about your driving. Daily driving with occasional spirited driving : no prob. If you "live your life a quarter mile at a time", save money for clutch.

That's it honestly. Anything you add would be to get more power, not to add longevity to the engine. Those engine internals can take 400hp easily without changing a thing. Your engine block is laughing at your tune.

Well that makes me feel better. I order some DG springs and rear sway bar from the classifieds on here. Once those are on, I will do the tune. I use this as my DD and once in a while put the beans to it, so a new clutch doesnt seem needed. It's quick already but I want to go for the sleeper in case someone rolls up. My buddy sold me some Enkei wheels and I have some Nokians on there for the summer. I just didnt want to get the tune and then the car just shreds itself because of the torque.

sergemcgraw83

Passed Driver's Ed
Glad to help :) Here is mine with the DGs. 95% comfort of stock, bit stiffer and remove John Deer look and the endless bouncing when going over bumps.

skinnyroots

Ready to race!
Glad to help :) Here is mine with the DGs. 95% comfort of stock, bit stiffer and remove John Deer look and the endless bouncing when going over bumps.

Unrelated, but how much did you spend on installation for the GTI side skirts? I was able to get the part priced out, but they quoted me 4 hours for installation--that just seemed a little excessive.

sergemcgraw83

Passed Driver's Ed
Unrelated, but how much did you spend on installation for the GTI side skirts? I was able to get the part priced out, but they quoted me 4 hours for installation--that just seemed a little excessive.

Parts list (OEM VW parts):

Side Skirt (Left) : 5G6-853-859-B-9B9
Side Skirt (Right) : 5G6-853-860-B-9B9
Self-Tapping Screw : WHT006944 (Need x24)

+ some generic silicone for the extra peace of mind. I put some on the screws to seal them against the car.

Dealership price in Canada ($CAD) without tax:

Side Skirt (Left) : 96$
Side Skirt (Right) : 96$
Self-Tapping Screw : 0.45$ each

They are really easy to install. You can definitely install those yourself if you have a drill and an hour.