GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Question..New Engine.

Mels15GTI

Ready to race!
My car lived through an 7550 over rev, I did a 4th -2nd on the highway. I've been driving manuals for 22 years and have never money shifted a car before this one.

Vdub13

Ready to race!
You might have just jumped the timing chain and/or bent some valves. I would check that out first. Ater that, if the timing is good, pull the valve cover, and if you see damage pull the head. Then pull the oil pan. If the cylinders/pistons are good and the crank/cam bearings aren't spun I think it's worth rebuilding. For $2,000 I would fix it instead of buying used.

Yea that's what Ima do. As long as the engine block isn't cracked or broken I wouldn't think a new engine is needed. I'm PRAYING that it's something I can rebuild and not replace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vdub13

Ready to race!
My car lived through an 7550 over rev, I did a 4th -2nd on the highway. I've been driving manuals for 22 years and have never money shifted a car before this one.

Exactly what I was saying. I've never money shifted until this car. Apparently I was close 9k RPM's though. So yea, the rest speaks for itself [emoji19]

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Exactly what I was saying. I've never money shifted until this car. Apparently I was close 9k RPM's though. So yea, the rest speaks for itself [emoji19]

Were you going like 80? Because, IIRC, 6K RPM in 2nd = ~60-65 mph... 9K had to be like 75-80. That sucks man :\

Vdub13

Ready to race!
Were you going like 80? Because, IIRC, 6K RPM in 2nd = ~60-65 mph... 9K had to be like 75-80. That sucks man :\

Yea. Touching 80-82mph. Redlined, switched the 2nd thinking it was 4th and that's all she wrote. :(

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Yea. Touching 80-82mph. Redlined, switched the 2nd thinking it was 4th and that's all she wrote. :(

Glad I've never tested it, but for some reason I thought there was some sort of money-shift lockout on the transmission. Like, I literally thought these were designed to not allow money shifting. But to say I have a rudimentary understanding of the function and layout of a MT would be generous, lol.

Cam1

I did it once in a AP1 S2000.

One of those expensive life lessons. :D

Funny. I did that in my 96gsr. And and also in my 2015 Kia Soul. The Kia literally went a bit above 8000 rpm before I threw the clutch back in. I tell you what, those Kia's are strong af. Nothing happened. Took it like a champ.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I hope I never do a money shift. My 2nd-3rd difference is much greater than the GTI's, so I could hit as high as 11,000rpm if I really screwed up.

Anyways, it might not be a bad idea to get a totaled car from copart. I saw one that was $4600 buy it now and was in a rollover. It still had good seats, good engine, even the wheels seemed more or less fine. I bet you could almost break even if you were smart about the parts you sold.

Cam1

I'm shocked that it let you depress the clutch. I have a 2017; hope that never happens to me. Granted, I am a superb driver... no pun intended lol

Vdub13

Ready to race!
At the end of the day I hope it's not an entire engine and it's just parts that I can rebuild with.

Still coulda sworn I dropped it into 4th though :/

Mels15GTI

Ready to race!
At the end of the day I hope it's not an entire engine and it's just parts that I can rebuild with.

Still coulda sworn I dropped it into 4th though :/

Me too, I was racing a mustang when it happened, I must have shifted early though, I was lucky. I hope it all works out for you.

Floader

Passed Driver's Ed
It may not be as bad as you think, 9000 may not have hurt the bottom end. If it was me, I would take it to a local Independent VW shop and have them scope the cylinders. I would take a WAG that it jumped time and bent the valves. If it didnt drop a valve and the bottom end checks out, get the head replaced and have at it. Of course a good used motor may end up being cheaper too. The important part is to get it to a good Indy VW shop.

Vdub13

Ready to race!
It may not be as bad as you think, 9000 may not have hurt the bottom end. If it was me, I would take it to a local Independent VW shop and have them scope the cylinders. I would take a WAG that it jumped time and bent the valves. If it didnt drop a valve and the bottom end checks out, get the head replaced and have at it. Of course a good used motor may end up being cheaper too. The important part is to get it to a good Indy VW shop.

Yea that's what I'm doing. I'm taking it to a local shop. Read great reviews on. Guy was telling me the first step should be a compression test. If no compression, then on to the next step and open up the engine. Still altogether just those two steps are wayyy cheaper than the dealerships$1300 minimum for a diagnostic. Hopefully it's just what you're saying.

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
Difficult to fully advise without knowing exactly waht damage may or may not have occured. Revved mine to 7,000 RPM or so once :eek:: wet day, wet shoes, slight slope, foot slipped off the clutch but unlike those "Police, Camera, Kerpash" shows I 'just' spun up for a second or so and the car moved maybe a couple of feet before I realised my horrorfying error. This at 'stupid o' clock' in the AM after a nite of little sleep. Don't reccomend doing either but car seems fine & I make sure I get more sleep though I am a wee bit more careful taking off on that bit of road, fingers crossed the damage isnt as bad as the OP fears....

Last edited: