GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What is the one detailing product or tool you can't live without? Your second?

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
So, everyone has that one product or tool they recommend to everyone and use almost every detail. What's yours, and why?

Mine is the Wheel Woolie and all of it's variants. I bought the 3-piece set from DI about a year ago, and cleaning my wheels was never easier. Never before was I able to effectively, and easily, clean my inner wheels. After a wash before Wheel Woolies, you could still find loads of dirt, brake dust, and tar on my inner wheels. Now, I am able to maintain them every wash. I now start the wash process here, rather than my calipers and exhaust tips like before. I looked at it as being able to reach one layer deeper into the maintenance wash regimen. I use the 2" one mostly, it is the most versitile size for our cars I find. The larger one doesn't fit inside the front wheels of vehicles with the PP, but it does the rear and the larger wheel Woolie holds A TON of soap and is an epic inner wheel cleaner, if it fits. The smaller 1" one I use for my calipers only, it gets little use overall. If I could use just one though, the 2" Wheel Woolie is my choice. I don't use them on the face of my wheels, as they are a tiny bit aggressive and the face of my rims are soft. Swirl like no other.

My second pick is CarPro Reload silica based sealant. When I was first turned onto this product I was on a CG kick. CG this, CG that. CarPro? Who's that? Well, now CarPro overshadows CG by a long shot in my detailing stockpile. From soaps to dressings, CarPro has raised the bar for me and what I demand out of a product. Now, I am not discrediting other brands by any means, especially since there is still about 1/3 of CarPro products I've never used personally. But, out of all the ones I have, Reload stands out. My father and many friends have also replaced their previous favorite wax or spray sealant with it. When shaken well and often, it doesn't give me any issues at all. No streaks. No hazing. Just glass. I work it one panel at a time, 1/2 for the hood and roof, and am able to use one towel for the whole application. Each 16ox bottle has about 20-25 vehicles in it I would say. INSANE BEADING for about 3 months with weekly washes. My brothers WRX beaded pretty good for about 6 months. It goes on everything on the exterior that I have found. Use it on trim, glass, plastics, rims, lights, and even the sidewalls of my tires. The only down side is cost, Reload is sorta pricey and many would argue not worth the price. Well, until I find something better(and available to me wholesale), Reload will be the official topper of my stockpile.

kmarriner

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE DSG
Ultima, I use it to wash, clay, do the interior, the glass. Hell, I even use it on the mirrors and windows in my house.
I really need to try reload at some point though.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
1. IronX.
A must on a white or light color car. 1-2 times a year.

2. Clay bar.

3. Snow foam.
I had a hard time choosing between Iron-X and Reload lol. Iron-X was actually my fist run in with CarPro. I was watching the detailer do my 2012 a few years back. He sprayed that all over the exterior after the first wash cycle. The whole car turned purple. I was like "What is that?" He hands me the bottle and said "Yours, here take it everyone with white cars needs this." There was about 1/3 left in the bottle. I had more coming before it was even gone. Smell never gets old :D

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Water

On a serious note: Eagle One chrome cleaner for exhaust tips

Better suggestion for tail pipe tips if SS.

Aluminum Foil.

Use with soapy water or detailers spray.
But, the best option is WD40 with the aluminum Foil.
Helps lube and protect after clean.
Then wash off.

Don't knock it till you try it.
Cleans faster than anything and cheap.
I learned here.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I had a hard time choosing between Iron-X and Reload lol. Iron-X was actually my fist run in with CarPro. I was watching the detailer do my 2012 a few years back. He sprayed that all over the exterior after the first wash cycle. The whole car turned purple. I was like "What is that?" He hands me the bottle and said "Yours, here take it everyone with white cars needs this." There was about 1/3 left in the bottle. I had more coming before it was even gone. Smell never gets old :D

Lemon scent ok.
Do not get cherry. Smells like a skunk.
I had to keep the cherry in the shed.

elamothe15

Ready to race!

Aluminum Foil.

Then wash off.

I learned here.

Hm very interesting...I'll definitely have to give that a try

gchen6850

Ready to race!

Aluminum Foil.

Then wash off.

I learned here.

I use foil as well. super easy, quick, and effective.

my vote goes to Optimum No Rinse Wash and Shine/Wash and Wax

HUGELY versatile product -- can be used as a waterless wash, rinseless wash, quick detailer, clay lube, etc. based on different dilutions.

It by no means replaces a true wash (at least I wouldn't use it as such) but for weekly touchups it is pure magic. After a good detail/paint correction I give the car a good coat of sealant and wax. Then I can use the ONR freely without worrying about marring the paint (esp since I do it weekly so the paint never gets TOO dirty). Takes me about 10 minutes, 1 oz of ONR, 1 gallon of water, and maybe 4 microfiber towels (three to wash (24 folded sides), 1 to dry) to do the entire car.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
I use foil as well. super easy, quick, and effective.

my vote goes to Optimum No Rinse Wash and Shine/Wash and Wax

HUGELY versatile product -- can be used as a waterless wash, rinseless wash, quick detailer, clay lube, etc. based on different dilutions.

It by no means replaces a true wash (at least I wouldn't use it as such) but for weekly touchups it is pure magic. After a good detail/paint correction I give the car a good coat of sealant and wax. Then I can use the ONR freely without worrying about marring the paint (esp since I do it weekly so the paint never gets TOO dirty). Takes me about 10 minutes, 1 oz of ONR, 1 gallon of water, and maybe 4 microfiber towels (three to wash (24 folded sides), 1 to dry) to do the entire car.
ONR IS a game changer, no doubt. It is probably thee most economical, yet quality, detailing product on the planet. We were discussing in another thread yesterday how the max dilution is 1:256.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Damn, you guys are hardcore.

This is the best tool for me. For $30/ month, it's the difference between bird guano, tree sap, & bugs being on the car for a few days or only a few hours. Drive through almost every other day.

I do detail once a year myself, but who has time to spend 4 hours washing, claying etc every week.

Attachments

• img20170321_150354.jpg
    img20170321_150354.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 815