GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone had a real fix from a dealership on the rattling/creaking sunroof and/or the h

MidnightinGotham

Passed Driver's Ed
As the title says, I'm curious if anyone has had a fix performed that actually worked. The TSB on the sunroof does nothing (my sunroof rattled like crazy on the way home from the car getting "fixed".).

VW has essentially told me that if their dealer can't fix it, there is nothing they will do.

Last edited:

takemorepills

Ready to race!
I had a very minor sunroof creak. Basically, If I just bumped the tilt switch for a split second, causing the sunroof to un-seat, the noise would go away. And I almost couldn't tell the sunroof was bumped up, it still looked closed. It was bumped enough to kill the creaking.

Took it into VW for other things, mentioned the creak to them, they said they could fix it. When I got the car back it was WAY worse than before, I had to bump up/tilt up the sunroof very far to get the noise to stop. I called them immediately and said "HELLLLLLLLLLL no!" It is going back in this week, they said VW JUST issued a new TSB on this and they swear it will be fixed this time. If not, I will make them undo everything they've done so far up to this point. I have heard simply lubricating the edge seal is all that is needed to stop the noise.

cbass99

Just had mine in for the creaky sunroof. Apparently there is a New TSB procedure that addresses the plastic piece that the sunroof seal rubs on. Should have it back in shortly when the parts arrive.

themagicpacket

Passed Driver's Ed
all I did was lubricate the rear seal behind the sunroof with some gummi pflege and that helped but it came back shortly after. i used sil glyde and that fixed it. hasn't come back since. i also used sil glyde in the inner door seals where it creaks as well. gummi pflege is good but it doesn't last very long. i think it's because its water based and it dries out pretty quickly.

mesaboogie18

Ready to race!
Had the dealer check out my rattly sunroof. They did the sunroof tape fix and so far, I haven't noticed any rattling. We'll see...

takemorepills

Ready to race!
Had the dealer check out my rattly sunroof. They did the sunroof tape fix and so far, I haven't noticed any rattling. We'll see...

That was the "fix" they did to my car the 1st time that made it worse.

To me it sounded kind of "ghetto" putting pieces of tape in what sounded like random places in my sunroof mechanism.

This current TSB supposedly is based on replacing something.

MidnightinGotham

Passed Driver's Ed
Clean sun roof gaskets well.
Then apply Sailkote or Gummy Pledge.
I think this is the second items name.
Both sold on eBay.
These allow the gasket to slide better when car flexes.
Need maybe 1-2 times a year. Spring/Fall are good.

When I've done gummi pfledge is maybe helped for 10 minutes. Maybe I'm warmer climates it helps but when it gets below freezing it tends to get way worse even with the lubrication.

MidnightinGotham

Passed Driver's Ed
That was the "fix" they did to my car the 1st time that made it worse.

To me it sounded kind of "ghetto" putting pieces of tape in what sounded like random places in my sunroof mechanism.

This current TSB supposedly is based on replacing something.

My car was just in on Friday and I was on the phone with VWoNA yesterday and there was no mention of a new TSB. That said, my car has been way better. It has resurfaced a few times but has been good the last few days.

MidnightinGotham

Passed Driver's Ed
So all of these occurrences and VW thinks that's okay. The TSB does nothing (at least the initial) and buyers are supposed to be okay with that. Great customer service IMO.