GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turbo Inlet Pipe (TIP) Comprehensive Thread

Johnpaul

Ready to race!
The APR does look nice. If you look in my CTS at the end there is a transition from the pipe to the mount. It ramps up pretty fast. Its not a hard lip but a quick transition. The APR being cast simply reduces diameter from inlet to outlet with no disruption.

I have the CTS and bought the APR. I much prefer the APR inlet for quality and the nice smooth transition. I also have the BMS for a short time and wasn't impressed with the build quality.

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
Same. Ordered the APR mainly due to the 'abrupt reduction of the inlet' on others. The earlier comments in this thread about it being more about proper flow than sheer volume is what convinced me.

king12sky

Ready to race!
Same. Ordered the APR mainly due to the 'abrupt reduction of the inlet' on others. The earlier comments in this thread about it being more about proper flow than sheer volume is what convinced me.

Yea that is true. But another is since your with APR with most of your build alrdy, I would say stick with it.

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
Yea that is true. But another is since your with APR with most of your build alrdy, I would say stick with it.
Yep, that was a factor. On a related note, I'm reading in the intake thread about good success with the APR inlet and just a drop-in filter on the stock box.

alper

Ready to race!
Very simple question on the stock inlet: Why would any VW engineer opt for reducing the pipe diameter where it enters the turbo if you can clearly fit a constant diameter angle as shown in the APR's (and others') design? Unless you absolutely have to re-use an existing item for cost-cutting purposes, the stock part looks more complicated and expensive for no reason. Could it be that the tapering is on purpose to increase pressure?

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
Very simple question on the stock inlet: Why would any VW engineer opt for reducing the pipe diameter where it enters the turbo if you can clearly fit a constant diameter angle as shown in the APR's (and others') design? Unless you absolutely have to re-use an existing item for cost-cutting purposes, the stock part looks more complicated and expensive for no reason. Could it be that the tapering is on purpose to increase pressure?

The restriction isn't such a bad thing for low end power on a smaller engine. An improved inlet would be to move the power curve up for improved flow at higher than stock boost levels.

LeGti

Ready to race!
FWIW, IMHO, every step I took in modding the intake (opened airbox, bmc filter, intercooler, R600 airbox, racingline TIP, Neuspeed turbo discharge, Spulen throttle intake pipe) made off-idle acceleration poorer, and higher-end acceleration better.

VW engineered their parts to the Nth degree, and no aftermarket parts are comparable. But most aftermarket parts do bring benefits in upper ranges and make for a wilder engine.

AlienSP

Ready to race!
Agree with LeGTI; after taking several fluid dynamics courses, I'll leave to the design engineers at VW. It doesn't make sense, but it might provide high velocity laminar flow making the bend.
If someone can provide objective evidence of noticeable gains, I'm open to be convinced otherwise.

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI
The turbo is centrifugal. It can only create a certain amount of pressure (boost). Above that amount no matter how hard it tries, air will flow backwards thru the compressor. Resulting in compressor stall, turbo surge...

Compressor surge results from inadequate airflow to support a particular PR, arising normally at low engine speeds as shown on the left hand side of a compressor map. Compressor surge is not normally what limits maximum PR on an automotive turbocharger once there is adequate airflow.

I think it is unlikely IHI developed a passenger vehicle turbocharger that could be driven into surge with reduced airflow on the order of driving with a dirty air filter.

Creating a restriction prior to the compressor inlet is detrimental to the turbochargers performance. With the flow results and dyno results showing better performance with the aftermarket designs I doubt the stock part has any special beneficial quality the alternatives give up.

MKVIISpec

Ready to race!

Wanted to inspect the intake side of my turbo. When I removed my CTS TIP, I noticed all that buildup as well as some oil. Is this normal?