GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Absolute Fuel Tank Size on mk7 GTI

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Hmm,

I have a 2017 GSW 4Motion 6mt and filled up with 14.227 gal today. That was first click, no topping off. Drove it on "0 miles" for 10 miles of stop and go. Previous to this fill up (which genuinely had me worried about running out of fuel) the most I had filled was 13.5xx gallons. So which is it? 13.2gal? Or 14.5 gal? Is the fuel level sender as inaccurate as you say it is?

I'd be suspicious of the accuracy of any fuel dispenser that reports filling my tank with more than it will hold. Makes me think I'm being "skimmed." :eek:

Do you always fill at this station or pump? Have you been able to do this elsewhere?

Scott

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Hmm,

I'd be suspicious of the accuracy of any fuel dispenser that reports filling my tank with more than it will hold. Makes me think I'm being "skimmed." :eek:

Do you always fill at this station or pump? Have you been able to do this elsewhere?

Scott

I'm at like 280 miles now since fill up and still have 1/4 tank left, after filling up at the one station I've ever used that actually filled up my tank. Usually I am at less than 1/8th now and filling up.

Gibberoni

Ready to race!
FWIW, My last 50 fillups have been between 10.53 and 11.57 gallons. I usually fill up with 30 miles left on the dial (not quite enough to get me home from work). 30 miles + the extra you can drive after 0 would be around 2.5 gallons. So it does make sense to me the tank is about 13 with a 1ish gallon reserve.

Hornung418

Passed Driver's Ed
OP, why are you driving your car until you run out of gas on a highway, then complaining when it does? Makes no sense to me.
No one is complaining, and I've never run out of gas. My question was based on fuel tank capacity. Being under the assumption that all mk7 golfs had a 13.2gal tank how was I able to fill up more than what was expected.

It's been determined that all wagons have a 14.5gal tank. But that's for trying, old man.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
No one is complaining, and I've never run out of gas. My question was based on fuel tank capacity. Being under the assumption that all mk7 golfs had a 13.2gal tank how was I able to fill up more than what was expected.

It's been determined that all wagons have a 14.5gal tank. But that's for trying, old man.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

You must have no life, young man.

Last edited:

SpaceGhost

Ready to race!
My car yesterday said 5 miles to empty and I was able to put 10.4 gal in. I might have been able to squeeze a bit more, but I heard somewhere that was bad for the emissions system. Anyway 10.4 and I was practically empty plus 2 gallons is still almost a gallon shy of 13.3. Never thought about the tank size but do have to admit that I have to fill this car up quite often so it would be nice to have a larger tank.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
If you find a pump that fills slow enough, and has an insensitive enough evap sensor, you could put in 13.2 gallons. I've only found the one pump station where I could do this, but yeah, it's not recommended.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

racerxxx

Ready to race!
It's a plastic tank, they will "stretch" , expand, whatever you want to call it. I've never had a vehicle that I couldn't put more in than was advertised. On long road trips I'll burp the tank in the wife's Routan by rocking it while topping it off. That 1 extra gallon has paid of before. It's great being able to go just shy of 500 miles in one tank.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
My car yesterday said 5 miles to empty and I was able to put 10.4 gal in. I might have been able to squeeze a bit more, but I heard somewhere that was bad for the emissions system. Anyway 10.4 and I was practically empty plus 2 gallons is still almost a gallon shy of 13.3. Never thought about the tank size but do have to admit that I have to fill this car up quite often so it would be nice to have a larger tank.

Something about the filler tube and flap causes this. I've been able to put over 13 gallons in the tank. You have to be patient and fill a little at a time once it stops filling the first time. But be careful not to over fill.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
the plastic ain't going to stretch....you may be able to fill up the filler neck etc or the tank may be more than claimed but it ain't going to stretch.

cbaumy34

Go Kart Champion
This thread. I have only ever been able to get 10.6 gallons in with the fuel light on.

I like to tell myself it's a racecar and it's weight reduction. But I would like to fill up to full capacity or know how much I have left when the light goes on especially when on longer trips

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk