GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Soumatrix with Helix sub/DSP

lotech

Passed Driver's Ed
It's a tiny plastic philips screw next to the power light, I believe. Both of our subs came with it full up or clockwise. It really comes in handy for balancing the sound. I like to have some bass play through my woofers, so I adjusted the sub down to allow my to raise my bass setting in my head unit. Otherwise, I had to adjust the head unit bass all the way down to make the sub not sound like turds.

This helped a lot. Thank you very much [emoji106]My rear view mirror doesn't shake after adjusting. Mine was at 100% as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Here are some pictures if anyone is curious about the subs and box:

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
gamille, I think there could be issues with your pictures, they showed up for me over the weekend but aren't now. (Edit: Hahahaha KevinC seems to be having the same issue!)

That is great news on the polyfill! I think I'd like to give that a try, and at the same time see where my gain is set. To your point about having more bass come from your door speakers, there might be a much better balance to be found upping the bass at the head unit and tuning the gain, because the sub is only going to get bumped on lower frequencies (say below 200hz?). That I haven't messed with, but will give a shot to with some added polyfill.

gamille

Passed Driver's Ed
Let me know if that helps; moved the photos to a shared folder.

Where does everyone post their pictures at? I tried using my iphotos and sharing. That works, but after a few days, the links change. These are hosted through google +. I can see them fine. I used to have my own site, but I don't feel like paying for the web address and server fees.

Last edited:

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Let me know if that helps; moved the photos to a shared folder.

Where does everyone post their pictures at? I tried using my iphotos and sharing. That works, but after a few days, the links change. These are hosted through google +. I can see them fine. I used to have my own site, but I don't feel like paying for the web address and server fees.

I see them now, that must have been the issue.

I use flickr for pictures I'm going to categorize and keep, but if you just need to post a picture quickly I've used Imgur.com for a single quick pic host.

gamille

Passed Driver's Ed
So flipflp, I'm doing my wife's car at the moment. The prices have gone back up on the Alpines so I'm taking your idea.

I am going with the Infinity Kappa 60.11cs for the rear, and I'm opting to try a coaxial setup on the front with Infinity Kappa 611i's. I've read success with the other fellows with the Soumatrix.

If it sounds less than good, then I'll send them back and install components up front. I really want to avoid pulling the a pillar covers all the way out if I don't have to. I'm going to cover the a pillar tweeters to see how it sounds, and if I approve, I'm just going to unplug the a pillar tweeters and dampen the plug so it doesn't rattle.

I did the Amazon thing this time at $100 for the coaxials and $170 for the components. I have a bunch of high quality speaker wire laying around and most of the install parts left over from the last install.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
So flipflp, I'm doing my wife's car at the moment. The prices have gone back up on the Alpines so I'm taking your idea.

I am going with the Infinity Kappa 60.11cs for the rear, and I'm opting to try a coaxial setup on the front with Infinity Kappa 611i's. I've read success with the other fellows with the Soumatrix.

If it sounds less than good, then I'll send them back and install components up front. I really want to avoid pulling the a pillar covers all the way out if I don't have to. I'm going to cover the a pillar tweeters to see how it sounds, and if I approve, I'm just going to unplug the a pillar tweeters and dampen the plug so it doesn't rattle.

I did the Amazon thing this time at $100 for the coaxials and $170 for the components. I have a bunch of high quality speaker wire laying around and most of the install parts left over from the last install.

So aside from the coaxial front speakers, it's just a 2ohm version of what you did to your car? Very interesting! Aside from the differences in the speakers and brand, I'm interested to hear your take versus the 4ohm setup. It'll give some idea how the ohm rating affects the output and balance of the system with the sub at least.

I had put off doing anything else stereo wise for a little bit, but your fiddling has got me thinking about it again. I'll be watching the thread!

gamille

Passed Driver's Ed
Sorry about those who can't see the pictures. When I get more time I'll probably just get my own site again.

I finished my wife's install today. I can honestly say, the Infinity's seem far superior to the Alpines. I wouldn't pay $270 that Crutchfield wants, but the Amazon pricing of $170 for components and $100 for coaxial is a steal.

The Alpines, however, are a better fit. Don't get me wrong, they both screw straight to the adapter, but the Alpines, sit perfectly over my speaker brackets' openings. The Infinity OD is a tad smaller making gasket/seal installation a little more frustrating. Also, the size of the crossovers for the Infinity set make them a little more challenging to place. With a little persuasion, they fit inside the previously pictured armrest slot (they're 3 1/16", and the armrest area is exactly 3"). Keep in mind I didn't install crossovers for the front.

So, for quality of sound, I would choose the Infinity speakers. For the ease of installation, I would choose the Alpines. If price were close, I personally would go with the Infinity and deal with the install.

As for the coaxial fronts; I was reluctant to try this, but I figured if it were easier and saved some money, I'd give it a shot. My wife and I honestly agree that it is not adverse to the sound field. I think some songs sound better than my setup, and others I would prefer my full components and programming. I unplugged and insulated the front tweeters on her car.

The coaxial fronts seem to bring a little better balanced mids to the table, but seem to sacrifice a bit of the higher low frequencies. The directional tweeters make a pretty big difference depending on where they're aimed. I was able to adjust the mid on the EQ up 4 notches (-7 to -3) from where we previously had it, and it doesn't kill my ears. I also was able to center the fade (at 1 to the rear previously).

The car, at least where she and I sit (I'm 5'8"), is very balanced in sound now. She was ecstatic when I let her test it out. She doesn't know brands of speakers or care about audio talk. I feel she's a good slate for an opinion. Her opinion is that it now sound 'more full', and it 'doesn't sound like it's all coming from up front anymore'.

lotech

Passed Driver's Ed
Great info ITT! Can someone please tell me the favorite/best way to adjust the helix sub volume? (Not gain, just volume) thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gamille

Passed Driver's Ed
Someone may big dick me here, but the only way I know to lower the sub volume is to do so adjusting the gain on the amp/DSP, adjusting the bass on the head unit EQ, or changing the programming on the DSP.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
I've set my bass on the head unit 3 to 4 ticks below flat. Seems to help a good bit. Though some songs are still pretty bads heavy... I blame the electronic music that I all too often find myself listening to :p

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I've set my bass on the head unit 3 to 4 ticks below flat. Seems to help a good bit. Though some songs are still pretty bads heavy... I blame the electronic music that I all too often find myself listening to :p

One thing that could affect it is the head unit programming. Coding the Helix does precisely that- code the Helix. It doesn't change the signal coming from the HU. The EQ from the HU is certainly cranking the bass. On the MK6, one had to code the HU for low or high voltage depending on whether they had an amp installed.

crazyivan45

I am looking at possibly swapping out all of my speakers for Fosgate components (front and rear). I guess my question is will this negate/throw off the signal processing of the helix? Once coded the stereo sounded great, but I can tell the speakers are lacking. Leaving the programming as is I am just curious if replacing the speakers will make a noticeable improvement in sound quality and will not throw off the programming

erichtn

Passed Driver's Ed
I replaced the front speakers in my car with Infinity Reference series components. The sound is noticeably brighter and I have not experienced any negative effects on the DSP's signal processing/staging.