GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Enable and Configure Advanced Bi-Xenon Lighting, MK7 Golf R

nate704

Go Kart Champion
I did this mod except the HBA since 2017 built vehicle either don't have it or not compatible with the OBD11.
Anyway, I was on my way to work at 5 am, I was slowing down for the red light, and I noticed that my headlight beam aiming was moving from wide angle to normal beam angle pattern as I was stooping.
I am not sure what other functions from the mod, but I'm sure it's working as designed I guess.

peacefrog_0521

Passed Driver's Ed
On a semi-related note - my gf's new 2017 Mazda3 arrived the other day, 4 months after factory-ordering it the way she wanted it. It has new-for-2017 bi-LED AFS headlights (and they actually use the term "AFS" so I'm thinking maybe the mfr licensed the tech from Hella?). They are freaking INCREDIBLE. So much more light output than my R's xenons, better uniformity, razor-sharp cutoffs, and similar AFS functionality. I'm totally jealous, these things are the shiznit. I suspect the new LEDs coming to the facelifted Golf will be a similar step up from our current xenons.

The bi-Xenons on my 2014 Mazda3 were an absolute stunner the first time I turned them on. Too bad they (and the rest of the front end) weren't good enough to withstand a Cadillac.

I am so disappointed with the bi-Xenon lights in my TSi. I drove back from Toronto last week and couldn't see the signs on the side of the road. Tonight, a mile from home, I almost hit a curb on a left turn that I'd been taking for over 13 years.

I found this thread in a search; I know this is an R thread, and I haven't gotten OBDEleven yet to dabble with it, but I'm wondering whether any or all of these would help on my system.

njswider

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
I opted to try this out tonight after reading the whole thread and here are my findings (2017 R w/DAP/DCC built 1/17): I skipped the first section as I already have HBA. Did the rest of the coding with OBD per the first post and everything worked. I didn’t do the High Beam Memory App as I have 9 credits, they will give me one within a week I bet so I’ll just wait around. I did check if it worked on my car though and it did. Initially backing out of my garage I feel like I noticed a difference but couldn’t tell. Driving away you can ever so gently see the lights move outwards a little for “city” driving and then once you reach a certain speed they center back up. It’s very minuscule so you will not notice if you aren’t looking for it. Making turns I felt there was more light throughout the corner. I couldn’t tell any difference driving at 55-65 but I never hit the highway to test 80. I’m happy with it so far, interested to see how it works in the rain.

Thank you ICmaker, I feel like this is one of those things you should do if you’re able to and coding took 5 mins.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
I am so disappointed with the bi-Xenon lights in my TSi. I drove back from Toronto last week and couldn't see the signs on the side of the road. Tonight, a mile from home, I almost hit a curb on a left turn that I'd been taking for over 13 years.

I found this thread in a search; I know this is an R thread, and I haven't gotten OBDEleven yet to dabble with it, but I'm wondering whether any or all of these would help on my system.

Hmm.. something sounds funky if you find the TSi lights to be disappointing. Try to drive another Mk7 with them and see if the performance is different.. perhaps by test driving a new GTI at night.

I find the bi-LEDs in our new Mazda to be superior to the bi-xenon's in my R, but it's not like the R's lights are bad.

LeoA86

Ready to race!
This works awesome! hba assists is just so accurate. To those that say it don't work. Has to be a dark road, no city lights, second there can't be a car in front of you on the same road and their cant be cars coming forwards you on the opposite lane, that's how accurate/effective the camera/radar system is. It's about 1/4 mile or more that it's range can detect. I think it works beautifully. Also the light patterns are awesome. Love this set up.

njswider

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
This works awesome! hba assists is just so accurate. To those that say it don't work. Has to be a dark road, no city lights, second there can't be a car in front of you on the same road and their cant be cars coming forwards you on the opposite lane, that's how accurate/effective the camera/radar system is. It's about 1/4 mile or more that it's range can detect. I think it works beautifully. Also the light patterns are awesome. Love this set up.

Agreed, if there's any kind of headlight, tail light, street light or ambient light they wont come on. Extremely sensitive and even quick enough to catch a car coming towards me as I go over a hill and before i can even see the car.

mad_sb

Passed Driver's Ed
I went through all the coding on my 17 R, seems like everything took fine. However the last 2 steps: basic headlight setting and acknowledge basic setting don't seem to do anything on my obd-eleven. After the ack basic settings, the displayed value stays at 0, I would think it should increment to 1 but not sure....

Adaptive highbeam does not seem to work ( I don't get the version of the highbeam indicator with the A in the middle, just the regular high beams).

I guess I need to go back through all the settings again, but I have already double checked twice.... Adaptive front lighting is enabled in the infotainment menu.

On a side note, the app for auto headlight memory does not work on mine, nor does the 100 credit lighting app... Mine is a 16 build year, 17 model year.

Last edited:

mad_sb

Passed Driver's Ed

What highbeam indicator logo do you get on the dash when hba is enabled? The regular blue one or the blue one with an A on it?

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
Who here thinks ICmaker needs to write up a post about what he did to his tail lights now?

I sincerely appreciate your offering to the community, I for one have benefitted greatly from your lighting suggestion. Living in a more rural area I get to take advantage of the changes more than others, especially with all the local deer out and about!

Chad H.

mad_sb

Passed Driver's Ed
HBA icon is white on the MFD bottom portion.

Yeah, I don't get why mine doesn't work. I have lane keep assist and adaptive cruise so the hardware should be there, but after completing the coding via obd-eleven manual changes, the last 2 steps do nothing (basic headlight setting and ack basic setting). When I turn on the lights, set them to auto (first click) and then push the high beam stalk forward, I just get high beams and the regular blue highbeam logo. No errors or anything that I can see.

The other settings seem to work, just the HBA thats not. I'll double check the coding again tonight.

LeoA86

Ready to race!
What highbeam indicator logo do you get on the dash when hba is enabled? The regular blue one or the blue one with an A on it?

None of the above, it shows the High beam in white color with the A inside. When the high beams turn on it turns blue, then back to white when they are off.

LeoA86

Ready to race!
Agreed, if there's any kind of headlight, tail light, street light or ambient light they wont come on. Extremely sensitive and even quick enough to catch a car coming towards me as I go over a hill and before i can even see the car.

Exactly! I think people haven't tested this out correctly Once you see it in action, it will amaze you at how accurate it is! It blew my mind first. It is meant for no lighting conditions, and meant to not blind others. Period. Any kind of tail lights, street lights, headlights etc will cause it to not activate highbeams.

mad_sb

Passed Driver's Ed
Well, I still don't know whats up with my 17. I think I need to try the alt controller offsets mentioned for the 17's.

All the DAP features work except HBA, only think I ever get with lights on auto when i push the stlk is regular old high beams. I think the issue is the "run basic settings" commend is not coded correctly on obdeleven for my car so it never runs.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Here is the HBA assist indicator, just below the outside temp...