GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7.5 OEM LED Tails

Mk7user

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 2015
All I did was watch the MK7 euro tail light YouTube video by DAP and the video by GolfRDad. Each of these is pretty sufficient in preparing you for the installation of the tail lights and routing of the harness. The specific harness wire pinning instructions are provided in the package by JBale, and they're very clear.

I haven't installed folding mirrors, though I can tell you that people seem to have taken about 2-4 hours looking at other posts. It took me 3-4 hours iirc.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Is that 3-4 hours for tails or mirrors?

And thanks for the info on the instruction vids.

murtaza911

Ready to race!
I found the tails to be easier than the folding mirror install. Except for getting the big trunk panel back on. I couldn't figure it out, had to get some help from a buddy.

For passing the wires through, don't remove the grommet off the car. You can break the plastic clips. What I did is pass the wires from the bottom (car side) through the grommet that goes to the hatch using a zip tie. A zip tie is strong enough to pass through the twists, and just pull it out with the wire harness. Easy.

njswider

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
BEC is, and $99 for mk7 euro harness, with profit still. What is so special about these?

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t remember DAP/BEC being $100 when they first launched. Competition drives prices down. We currently have 2-3 legitimate harnesses right now across the globe, they can pretty much charge what they want since they are the early adopters. You’re paying for someone else’s time/effort/knowledge. Sure you can develop your own harness for cheap but I don’t think many of us have the mechanical or electrical background to care to give it a try. $200 now or $100 in a year does not really change my opinion on the pricing. I am more than happy to pay the $200 because someone else solved a problem for me now that I otherwise would not have a solution for.

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
Is that 3-4 hours for tails or mirrors?

And thanks for the info on the instruction vids.
Woops! 3-4 hours for tails

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
I found the tails to be easier than the folding mirror install. Except for getting the big trunk panel back on. I couldn't figure it out, had to get some help from a buddy.

For passing the wires through, don't remove the grommet off the car. You can break the plastic clips. What I did is pass the wires from the bottom (car side) through the grommet that goes to the hatch using a zip tie. A zip tie is strong enough to pass through the twists, and just pull it out with the wire harness. Easy.

I didn't pry too hard at the big main hatch panel, which luckily left some clips in place. There was enough clearance between the hatch and the panel for my fingers to tug the wires through. I know people have said getting this hatch panel back on is tough, so I hope others are also this fortunate (or too weak like me to yank the entire panel off in one go lol).

And that's a very good tip about the zip tie. I did the same exact thing to avoid breaking the notorious clips of that rubber grommet between the body and the hatch.

NCR-R

Ready to race!
Did anyone have their new FL tails not lining up with one another properly? The gap at the top on one side is very uneven compared to the other side but with the original tails it's perfect.

rotaryguy

Passed Driver's Ed
About to get mine JBale harness in the mail this week.
Does it come with the physical light install instructions?
Or is there an install guide on the forums somewhere?
Or is the ShopDap video the only one?

How is it in difficulty vs. the folding mirror install?

I'm trying not to let this get out of control time wise by not reviewing the installation guides beforehand like my folding mirror install. :rolleyes:

Here is my install video of the JBale harness with MK7.5 (face-lift) taillights....

https://youtu.be/XOfJcmG1NTs

It is LONG but I tried to cover it well.
Enjoy

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
Someone can correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t remember DAP/BEC being $100 when they first launched. Competition drives prices down. We currently have 2-3 legitimate harnesses right now across the globe, they can pretty much charge what they want since they are the early adopters. You’re paying for someone else’s time/effort/knowledge. Sure you can develop your own harness for cheap but I don’t think many of us have the mechanical or electrical background to care to give it a try. $200 now or $100 in a year does not really change my opinion on the pricing. I am more than happy to pay the $200 because someone else solved a problem for me now that I otherwise would not have a solution for.

Seriously i don't get the pushback over the price. We're literally paying for someone to sit there and put everything together for us by hand. Not to mention he had to take the time to figure it out all in the first place.

Folding mirrors took me like 4-5 hours end to end, but i went really slow. I'm budgeting all day for the tails, but i might just do the harness one day and then do the actual tails another day.

JBale

Ready to race!

This is by far the worst part. The last two times that I installed the harness for locals I just unclipped the portion of the back panel near the latch. This is enough to slide the inner to inner harness across.

amehta11

Passed Driver's Ed
Mine never had that status. Is that still in Latvia?

No, that was in New York. Although, checker it this morning and it says it's arrived at the sorting facility in Jamaica, NY so hoping to get it by the end of the week to South Carolina. AM harness is enroute as well so looks like weekend will be the earliest install. Tracking then usps' site without and estimated date for delivery so this is the best guesstimate based on the status of the tracking numbers.

Sent from my F8131 using Tapatalk

DaRock1459

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 VW Golf R
Here is my install video of the JBale harness with MK7.5 (face-lift) taillights....

https://youtu.be/XOfJcmG1NTs

It is LONG but I tried to cover it well.
Enjoy

Do the supplied JBale coding include the option of allowing the inner tail lights to turn off when the tailgate is opened (similar to what's seen on ROW cars)? Also, thought the sequential turn signals default to regular blinks when unlocking/locking the car?

Otherwise, thanks for taking the time putting the video together! This will make it much easier to do when my tails and harness arrive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

supesgolfr

Ready to race!
Did anyone have their new FL tails not lining up with one another properly? The gap at the top on one side is very uneven compared to the other side but with the original tails it's perfect.

I have that problem but on both sides. There's a fairly big gap on the inner light top part on both sides, and you can see a white colored tab. I painted that tab black so the gap isn't so obvious. But unless you're looking closely it's not that noticeable because the turning signal light lines up (the inner and outer lights appear to line up with each other). I might consider plugging up that gap with black silicone, but I'm not sure whether there's any functional issue with having that gap if water pours inside that gap?

Last edited: