GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ECS Tuning Golf R Console Fix - $30

Mr ohnoez

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Had a 2017 Golf R
Yeah I'd pay 50 bucks if it ratcheted but this thing is just 2 plastic bits... for 30 bucks
Nearly as bad as there 55 dollar rear wiper delete plug...Almost...

Pickleahoy1

Ready to race!
Do they have a lengthy explanation about how tape is extremely weak and unreliable and will make it so your cubby shuts again so you need anodized nuts to hold the plastic wedges they sell for 300% markup?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Do they have a lengthy explanation about how tape is extremely weak and unreliable and will make it so your cubby shuts again so you need anodized nuts to hold the plastic wedges they sell for 300% markup?

I don't have them but why would you need nuts? The wedges are threaded. Do you figure the screws will back out? I don't know if the threads are cut slightly undersized so the screws stay tight but I'll ask them this morning. This way, the wedges could "float" and probably never back out. I cannot tell from the video.

Could be more than 300% gross profit. Just to let you know, I have yet to buy anything from ECS. I only do tunes. But at least give them credit for making a product that maybe only 10% of US R owners will buy. They still needed to design it, probably with CAD, and make perhaps multiple prototypes, probably with a 3D printer, then make the molds and produce it, drill and thread the holes, etc. You were in design and manufacturing, right, so you know this wasn't a 5-minute project where they can make a lot of money on maybe 1,500 pairs. Even at 300% that's only $15,000 gross profit if their cost is amortized over that small a production run. I'm not saying you, but a lot of R and GTI owners pay a lot more markup than that on performance enhancements where the production runs are larger. And look at tunes. I figure flash tuning companies do a lot better than 300% and they mainly have labor expenses.

Last edited:

Pickleahoy1

Ready to race!
I would imagine that in the golden age of Chinese manufacturing, all it takes to get multiple wedge pieces manufactured is a .step file after they played around with some 3D printed prototypes and a bulk order. If they really mold the stuff and keep it in the US then kudos to them, but I somehow doubt ECS does that.

The anodized nuts was a joke, the kit only has a couple of screws.

md2185

Passed Driver's Ed
I dont remember ever paying anything to open up my center console? 2 bolts to take out and some household materials to lock it. Zed4Me has a video showing it how its done the free way

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I would imagine that in the golden age of Chinese manufacturing, all it takes to get multiple wedge pieces manufactured is a .step file after they played around with some 3D printed prototypes and a bulk order. If they really mold the stuff and keep it in the US then kudos to them, but I somehow doubt ECS does that.

The anodized nuts was a joke, the kit only has a couple of screws.

I guess I should have caught that since the screws appear to be zinc plated.

I figure they did make them if they have the equipment.

mk7gti2.0

Ready to race!
When I tried taking the screws put of mine theeither had some loctite ot someone on then because the wouldn't come loos to save my life. And the Alan head stripped extremely easy. I ended up having to drill those brackets so the screw would come out. Kinda sucks since I will have to replace the whole armrest unit if my tape ever starts to fail. But it opens and closes now and that's all I care about.

jp03191

Passed Driver's Ed
Well, I guess you can all call me a sucker. I purchased the ECS kit and it worked like a charm, simple easy and not jerry rigged with zip ties or duct tape. I get what your all saying but I still find it really funny when a bunch of people who have $40k cars and generally spend thousands of dollars on mods complain about a company charging $30 for a nice "fix" for something, oh well to each their own.