GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burger Tuning JB4 Golf 1.8TSI MQB specific information thread

erichhart

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks. Just curious to see how much more a flash tune is doing over the JB4 on the 1.8. The gti guys seem to be able to just about match the flash tunes. For some reason, I don't think the 1.8 will be able to

yeah im curious of this. I see a Flash plus jb4 and a IS12 can pull the same HP with just an is20 and JB4 alone. It kinda makes me want to also flash the unitronic tune and stack lol

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I'm running good 93, downpipe and can't get more than 18 psi. I have it set to target 20. It's freezing cold though and I know that affects things.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
yeah im curious of this. I see a Flash plus jb4 and a IS12 can pull the same HP with just an is20 and JB4 alone. It kinda makes me want to also flash the unitronic tune and stack lol

As far as we can tell the majority (or all) of the difference comes from the injector duty cycle limiting the fueling. I'm pretty sure all you need to do to match a flash tune is install some injectors, which will be a lot less costly and warranty infringing than a tune.

I'm really curious what all of the differences between the JB4 and a tune are. With any luck it's just the injector duty cycle, but it would be really interesting to see a tuned car and a JB4 car compared together on a dyno.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
On the JB4 app, there are adjustments for AFR bias and duty bias. The AFR is all 100 and the duty is all 0. I wonder if there will be adjustments for the injector cycle at all in the future

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Also, on my last log where I'm only hitting 18psi, I'm +10.5 over the ecu request. Maybe once temperatures warm up a bit I will be showing more boost. Are you stage 1 guys still hitting over 20 when it's below freezing?

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I guess mine was closer to 22.19 psi. Of course it's 65° today.
Seemed to taper off to about 17 at 5700rpm.

Note in my chart rpm/100

Attachments

• img20170313_155829.jpg
    img20170313_155829.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 413

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
On the JB4 app, there are adjustments for AFR bias and duty bias. The AFR is all 100 and the duty is all 0. I wonder if there will be adjustments for the injector cycle at all in the future

See my post #290 above from yesterday. I also thought this was bias for injector duty cycle at first, but it is currently used for tweaking BMW's boost control and curve (wastegate/boost solenoid duty cycle/duty bias).

So, not sure if injector duty cycle will be possible for us. George would have answer that and whether our existing harness has access to intercept and control this type of signaling, and can it even be done via piggyback? Duty cycle is essentially pulse width (how long to keep the injector open) divided by the period (how long before the injector needs to fire again). Seems straightforward, but the ecu logic is fairly complex on how all this works since it has to take several things into consideration (engine cycle, rpm, fuel pressure etc.) when calculating the mass of fuel to add. This all happens during the feedback loop from the wide band. However, at the end of the day, I think the injectors are just simply given current when they need to be turned on/off. Sounds simple enough right? LOL

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I guess mine was closer to 22.19 psi. Of course it's 65° today.
Seemed to taper off to about 17 at 5700rpm.

Note in my chart rpm/100

Is there a way to view that as a chart? Can't really tell what rpm is or what the boost really is other than where it recorded it. It seems like you drop down to around 12 psi at the top though. It goes below your AFR line. That's in par with where I'm at in 27 degree weather. When it was around 50, I was getting around 13.6 at 6,000.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Is there a way to view that as a chart? Can't really tell what rpm is or what the boost really is other than where it recorded it. It seems like you drop down to around 12 psi at the top though. It goes below your AFR line. That's in par with where I'm at in 27 degree weather. When it was around 50, I was getting around 13.6 at 6,000.

Not sure how. I could post as a csv I guess and you can create a line graph.

Edit: Nevermind. Can't attach.

Edit: Alright. Was able to upload a zip. Not sure what program you Ned to read it. I use realtime charts add-on in torque

Attachments

• timing_vs_throttle.zip
    2.1 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Not sure how. I could post as a csv I guess and you can create a line graph.

Edit: Nevermind. Can't attach.

Edit: Alright. Was able to upload a zip. Not sure what program you Ned to read it. I use realtime charts add-on in torque

I'll have to try it on the computer. I do everything csv though. Easier to read, just can't post them here. I'll pm you my email

Nyulak

Ready to race!
I see Arin references the 2017 1.8T like something is new. Maybe whatever magic APR works will be limited to M.Y. 2017 or newer cars. If APR makes a full tune for other turbos, why would you stack?

Ironshade

Go Kart Newbie
I see Arin references the 2017 1.8T like something is new. Maybe whatever magic APR works will be limited to M.Y. 2017 or newer cars. If APR makes a full tune for other turbos, why would you stack?

I think they are taking it seriously now because 6 speed and dsg trans. I hope the motors are still the same

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Just curious, does the suction pump recall affect anything with fueling, or is it just a potential leak issue with the return?

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Amazing news just read. Arin is spokesperson from apr. So apparently our 1.8tsi can probsbly be pushed very hard soon. Expecially with a jb4 stack. Fueling isn't an issue? Open the link https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzhY860kqXt1dk9wekZBdWVpT3M

Hopefully that applies to pre 2017 as well.
Would be nice th stay with APR as an upgrade instead of having to purchase a whole new tuning solution, although JB4 sound fun to tinker with.